Mormons & Guns - Page 3 of 7

QUOTE (Ammon @ 21-Jan 09, 2:53 PM) The main - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Jan, 2009 - 4:30am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Mormons & Guns
1st Mar, 2008 - 6:14pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & Guns - Page 3

I was just wondering: Does anyone know if the bodyguards of the Prophet are armed? They usually visit different ward/branches around the world and they follow the Prophet everywhere, just wondering if they carry guns with them.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th Dec, 2008 - 11:46pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & Guns
A Friend

Guns and Mormons

I have to agree with those who think that a CCW should enable one to privately carry a gun to church services. Remember the Female security guard that took out a shooter in a Christian church in Colorado Springs, CO?

Source 8

I wonder if the people in that congregation were grateful to that gun? I
When Joseph Smith was brutally attacked in the Carthage jail, he sported a pistol. A gun! How can this be, a modern day prophet carrying a Pistol? I believe he even fired a shot or two off at the Grey's. ( I know we are talking about guns in Church, but to show that it is not the guns that are evil....)

My 2 cents. Respectfully. smile.gif

27th Dec, 2008 - 5:55pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & Guns Studies Doctrine Mormon

I don't think guns belong in church. Accidents can happen especially in a place where the is so many children running about.

Post Date: 27th Dec, 2008 - 6:49pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & Guns
A Friend

Page 3 Guns and Mormons

For reference on this topic, I will include the text of the letter distributed to local leadership on January 16, 2004:

To: Area Presidencies, Area Authority Seventies, Temple Presidents, Stake Presidents, Bishops, and Branch Presidents in Utah

Dear Brethren:

Firearms in Houses of Worship

Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law.

Utah law permits churches or other organizations operating houses of worship to prohibit firearms. Any person, including a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm, who knowingly and intentionally transports a firearm into a house of worship or who, while in possession of a firearm, enters or remains in a house of worship where firearms have been prohibited, is guilty of a crime. An exception will be provided for law enforcement personnel, as contemplated by law.

The church plans to invoke the Utah law and give public notice that firearms are prohibited in the church's houses of worship, including temples, meetinghouses, the Assembly Hall, the Salt Lake Tabernacle, and the Conference Center.
Scouting merit badge and other activities where firearms are legitimately involved should be held in facilities other than houses of worship.

Once such public notice is given, persons who bring firearms into a church house of worship should be informed of the church's position and politely asked to take their firearms to another safe location. Persons who refuse to take their firearms from the house of worship or repeatedly ignore the church's prohibition should be referred to local law enforcement officers for possible criminal prosecution. However, every reasonable effort should be made to avoid confrontation and to defuse emotional situations so as to prevent violence and misunderstanding. Questions regarding particular situations may be referred to the Church Security Department and the Church's Office of General Counsel at church headquarters.

Sincerely your brethren,

(signed)

Gordon B. Hinckley

Thomas S. Monson

James E. Faust

As I see it, violence to defend the innocent is justifiable, but if a situation can be defused without violence, this is a higher path. Our family has enjoyed watching an animated series on Nickelodeon called "Avatar: The Last Airbender", that I have at times referenced in gospel discussion at church due to the positive morals and truths that have emerged in the program. The final episode involves a fated battle between Ozai, a fire-manipulating powermonger seeking to rule the world, and the avatar Aang, who is young boy charged with bringing the world back into balance, and the only one capable of mastering the manipulation of fire, earth, water, and air. Aang is more than capable of killing Ozai, is justified in doing so, and has received counsel from numerous sages that Ozai's death is the only solution to the problem. In the end, Aang defeats Ozai by taking away his ability to manipulate fire, rendering him impotent.

This story spoke to me of the immense power of love, mercy, and forgiveness - qualities that are emphasized again and again by the Lord and his anointed servants.

27th Dec, 2008 - 7:00pm / Post ID: #

Guns and Mormons

Thanks so much for putting that here. I knew it could not be right to have guns at church. Justifying it because Joseph had one is not reasonable since that was a different era where there wasn't good law enforcement.

Post Date: 21st Jan, 2009 - 7:12pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & Guns
A Friend

Mormons & Guns

Jesus had powers that we don't have and nothing would happen to him until it was his Father's will. I think we have every right to protect our families wherever we are. We should be allowed to bring a gun if we have a legal right to carry one. The scriptures state that we should protect our families and properties and freedom.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Jan, 2009 - 7:53pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & Guns - Page 3

The scriptures state that we should protect our families and properties and freedom.

The main debate will be do you need to do that in church though?

Post Date: 22nd Jan, 2009 - 4:30am / Post ID: #

Mormons & Guns
A Friend

Mormons & Guns Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

QUOTE (Ammon @ 21-Jan 09, 2:53 PM)
The main debate will be do you need to do that in church though?

We have had news reports of it happening in Churches. Who's to say it won't happen in ours as our society becomes more wicked? We even had an incident in our church which caused a great deal of concern. A young male walked in one morning just before services started who was drinking and doing drugs and asked for money. He was very distraught; threatening to kill himself etc. The Bishop offered to go with him to get food, but he refused and became very irate. He displayed violent behavior, and after returning to his car, banged his head against his steering wheel and peeled out of the parking lot. If he had been armed, we would have had no way to defend ourselves. You have to remember that wickedness is going to increase and I for one do not want to wait until it happens as it has in some of the Universities across the nation.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Mormons & Guns

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,