Cleric
Cleric
Fighter
Fighter

Post Date: 24th Aug, 2004 - 12:21am / Post ID: #

Are You An Rpg Creator?
A Friend

Are You An Rpg Creator?

I have made many many small RPGs that can be made in a day. I think it is very fun doing this, and I guess you could call it a hobby. I love complex character creation systems, as well as stat gaining and the whole lot of it.
I've also made an RPG that took me a while to create, but its no where near the quality of a Pen and Pencil RPG, or even this boards RPGs.
I'm currently working on another RPG that will whop the living daylights out of all of my old ones. Its based on fantasy like most of my other RPGs.

So, do you like to create your own RPGs? Or do you just like to create Roleplays? There is a difference you know. Please share your thoughts on this subject.

Sponsored Links:
24th Aug, 2004 - 3:36pm / Post ID: #

Creator Rpg You Are

Yes I am, have been doing it (RPGs) for over 17 years, so there is a lot of experience behind it. I have also played with people from all over the world both in person and online as it is currently constituted. As for role-plays - I have done this, but not really for entertainment, most of the time it was for business or spiritual development, but they both can be fun too. It would be nice to experience a real role-play as they have in the UK, where you can dress up as a Knight and fight for real!

Post Date: 24th Aug, 2004 - 9:32pm / Post ID: #

Are You An Rpg Creator?
A Friend

Are You An Rpg Creator? Reviews RPG & Card Board

JB, Yeah I can see that your are experianced by your RPGs on this board. Its awsome to see what I may become if I keep at it!

As for the Role-Play in UK you mentioned, it sounds pretty cool.
There have also been some paintballing role-plays like the one you mentioned. I think those would be sweet too!

Post Date: 5th Nov, 2004 - 10:36am / Post ID: #

Are You An Rpg Creator?
A Friend

Creator Rpg You Are

I am curious about the mechanics of custom roleplaying games. How is the number crunching handled? For example, how do you set the damage for weapons? For example, let's say in a particular game a sniper rifle does 1d6 damage and because the character firing it using a certain type of ammunition you add 1 to the damage rolled. How it is decided that rolling 1 six-sided die is proper damage for the sniper rifle, and adding one is adequate for the special ammunition?

O.

5th Nov, 2004 - 10:42am / Post ID: #

Creator Rpg You Are

I am not sure if you are asking in general or for our system here. In general, a game like Mega Traveller handles this very well through the use of modifying rolls. The problem with modifying rolls is that it can become very complicated and take away from the storyline. For example you have to calculate the gun, the kind of ammo, the distance from the object, if the object is moving or standing still and lastly the armor and defense capabilities of the object - and all that just for one battle round! If you are talking about Future Earth then an explanation of how I do it is included in the Rules section of the Medieval board.

5th Nov, 2004 - 5:19pm / Post ID: #

Are You An Rpg Creator?

I used to play AD&D between about the ages of 12 and 17 and became quite proficient wink.gif I created a number of scenarios but cannot remember any of them now!

I think I lost interest in self-created/moderated games when I got into PBM (I was a great Earthwood fan if anyone remembers that from KJC Games?); then with the advent of computers I left the "written stuff" behind. I mean who wants to look up numbers on lots of charts when the computer can do all that for you? wink.gif

I have also moved away from character-driven RPGs toward strategy-driven wargames.

I'm more of an fantasyist than a sci-fier, although medieval or ancient history also interests me. I never got around to playing MERP in days gone by, which is surprising because Midde-earth's my all-time favourite milieu.

Dubhdara.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Jan, 2010 - 1:12am / Post ID: #

Are You Rpg Creator

I've been "working on" making my own various tabletop roleplaying games, for years, really, since I was in junior high, about 7th grade, when I read my first Lone Wolf and Sagard adventure gamebooks, with combat systems, and bought D&D Redbox.

Over the years, I've vacillated a lot from this to that, but have also been moving in a nearly imperceptible but gradual tendency toward simple, rules-lite games that also have practical and suitable mechanics, especially for the theme or genre. I dislike strategy, as I'm no good at it, so I don't focus on that in any game I work on, including just card or dice games (wrestling, golf, etc that I sometimes work on).

I've found that now, after all the phases I've gone through, I like (and as such, tend to use, in things I make) either dice pools or summing multiple dice that has a predictable bell curve. As neat and colorful as they are, I've gotten to the point I actually prefer normal ol' D6 dice over any of the other polyhedrals for the most part, though some of that is from a game maker perspective, because if you sold a PDF game, the players can almost always raid their board game closet and come up with dice to play your game.

I've "created" a few games, or skeletons, or maybe something even less, like "skins", more solid than settings, but not strong enough to be mechanics. I got good feedback on my LELMLI game, which basically told me it was pretty bad and I needed to probably rewrite the entire thing - and THAT is the kind of feedback you need; people taking the time to give your game a look or play, and being honest with you.

I like simple, quick games that lend themselves well to fast-paced things like wrestling matches, and this spills over into my game design, wanting briefer, less complicated rules and hoops to jump through to make characters, play, and GM. I am in between the idea of having a few simple stats and skills, with optional player added stuff, or expandable sub-stats, and very "lite" systems like Wushu, where the players can create their own stats or traits on the spot and give them whatever name they want, and assign dice to them.

I tend to also look at games, and think about designing games, or a game, with an eye toward online forum (play by post) ease, efficiency and suitability, as that is where I play the majority of RPGs now.

14th Jul, 2011 - 6:58pm / Post ID: #

Are You Rpg Creator Board Card & RPG Reviews

I have created a few games in my time, but I rather being a player than a creator. Playing a character is more aspiring than telling a story to players. The DM for me is a sacrifice for the players enjoyment.

> TOPIC: Are You An Rpg Creator?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,