Huge Harddrives!

Huge Harddrives! - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 21st Nov, 2005 - 2:32pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
General Discussion about how huge they will get. Specific HD reviews are within their own Threads.
2nd Sep, 2004 - 1:28am / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives!

They make 80-120 GB harddrives now and you really have to ask... does it really make sense to have a harddrive that big with the software of today? I mean, can you imagine trying to scan or even defragment that? It would probably take a long time if you had loads of stuff on it? Why would anyone want so much space? I mean if you were going to use it to store stuff then why not get a dvd burner and put your important files on that? The way viruses operate these days and the malfunctions in hds themselevs I would not want to take the risk. For me it would be better to have two 40GB hds rather than 1 80GB. What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
3rd Sep, 2004 - 2:03pm / Post ID: #

Harddrives Huge

I agree with you JB. The larger hard drives today are just not practical. If you work with applications which can produce large files, such as movie editing software, etc, then a 40-60 GB drive should suffice. The 120GB HD is not needed and overkill. Removable storage is the way to go for storing data and larger HD's also introduce slower system response and startup.

Post Date: 3rd Sep, 2004 - 6:55pm / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives!
A Friend

Huge Harddrives! Gaming Video & Issues Computer

i see nothing wrong with the larger drives. i have a 60 GB and a 200 GB hard drives. besides i don't have enough bays in my computer to store 3,4, or even 5 little 40's...and in fact, it's cheaper per gig to buy the larger ones...besides i bought my 200 GB for 100 bucks...couldn't pass that up. not to mention my 60 gig is full and my 200 is almost halfway full, so it's easy to use it up when you do graphic designing.

Post Date: 11th Apr, 2005 - 12:49pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Harddrives Huge

PC Drive Reaches 500GB

Hitachi's new Deskstar 7K500 drive marks several milestones in the storage industry: It's the first desktop hard drive to reach 500GB and one of the first to use the speedy new SATA II interface. In terms of how it stores data, though, the Deskstar may be among the last of its kind, as drive manufacturers begin to approach the limits of how densely they can pack data using today's standard recording technology.
Ref. https://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120102,00.asp

Post Date: 12th Apr, 2005 - 9:45am / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives!
A Friend

Harddrives Huge

If you have never ripped movies or downloaded mp3's, then you cant truly appreciate exactly what this amount of storage means. A three gigabit per second transfer rate eliminates that harddrive as a bottle neck completely. And with five hundred gigabytes, you have almost eliminated the need for external storage.

I would consider getting one of these to put in the media center I want to build. I could mount allot of movies with out the need for burning them to a dvd. Hook up my media center to my surround sound system and have all of it on the hard drive with my movies. A five hundred gigabyte drive is truly something spectacular.

23rd May, 2005 - 12:47pm / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives!

Wow, 500gb! I hadn't heard that yet. I'm running two 120gb drives and an older 20gb I took from a parts machine, and I have about half that space filled. How much is a 500gb drive? I wouldn't mind running a pair of those! I'd have the ninja machine then! ninja.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 2nd Jun, 2005 - 12:02pm / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives!
A Friend

Huge Harddrives!

Just wait, the new 500GB SATA Dual Channel drives are coming out soon. I found that my motherboard has two SATA channels on it and the drivers for it are on my motherboard disk. I am looking into getting one by the end of the year. With that kind of space, I could create my own media center that could house all my favorite DVD's and all my music!

21st Nov, 2005 - 2:32pm / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives! Computer Issues & Video Gaming

[B][I]JB, you have to remember that hard drives today are not just for storing the programs that you have installed. You are correct in the reality that programs today don't require near the size of the drives that are now being sold, but we have to keep two things in mind. First being people perception of what they are getting for the money they spend. People are fascinated by large numbers for a low cost, so the cheaper they can make these larges drives the more the sale. From an economic standpoint anyway. Secondly on the technical side of things Along with storing your programs you also use drives for data storage. If you ask anyone who does any digital video there isn't a computer in the consumer market that allows for enough hard drives. Along with video that takes up large amounts of space, backups also take up tremendous amounts of space. Have you ever scratched an Office cd and couldn't reinstall? I personally keep an ISO image of every CD that I have in my software collection. I am almost to fill my third 250GB drive with nothing but ISO files. An ISO is simply an image of a CD or DVD. Software is such an investment and in some cases impossible to replace. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Huge Harddrives!

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,