Huge Harddrives! - Page 3 of 4

With hard drives getting smaller and holding - Page 3 - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 27th Nov, 2016 - 10:24pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
General Discussion about how huge they will get. Specific HD reviews are within their own Threads.
27th Apr, 2006 - 12:44am / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives! - Page 3

Yes, the terabyte hard drive is available in a way. But this is actually two hard drives strapped together than run off of one logic board so it is not truly a single drive.

Rather off topic, but...
These internal have been tested and reported to run really hot so beware if you choose to invest in one.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Oct, 2007 - 12:18pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Harddrives Huge

Drive advance fuels terabyte era

A single hard drive with four terabytes of storage could be a reality by 2011, says Japanese firm Hitachi.
Ref. https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7044606.stm

15th Oct, 2007 - 12:30pm / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives! Gaming Video & Issues Computer

It's all well and good to keep increasing the capacity of hard drives, but unless they improve the rate of transfer between media then it is still prehistoric.

Post Date: 30th Nov, 2007 - 2:57am / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives!
A Friend

Page 3 Harddrives Huge

Actually, the transfer rate they're using now is more then enough. The problem is the physical limitation of the hard drive itself (Speed of the platters, how data is transfered from the head).

Bigger caches are making things better, but no matter if you have a Serial ATA 150, 300, or the upcoming 600, the speed will still probably not go over 80MB/s

The only exception is the Western Digital Raptor series. These are 10,000 RPM hard drives, albeit with limited capacity (150GB is currently as high as it goes).

What I plan to do one day is get a 74G Raptor for Windows, a 150G raptor for all my games, and a 500G+ 7200RPM normal hard drive for my videos, documents, and other misc stuff.

I disagree that 160 is more then enough, cause it's not for some people. I used to have a 160 and ended up with only 30-40G left after a bunch of downloads (Of course I have like 90Gigs of games alone). I now have a 500G drive and ghosted my old one to it so I don't have to deal with re-installing 2k

80-160 is more then enough for 'normal activity'. But for gamers and video/audio editing, it's really not

And yes, terabyte hard drives can be made from 2 500G drives from ether using Raid, or windows dynamic disk.

25th Jul, 2011 - 11:44am / Post ID: #

Harddrives Huge

Funny how times have changed, Terabyte drives are common placed now and the 500GB ones are starting to get less popular. You need big drives for Windows 7 backups.

Post Date: 12th Sep, 2012 - 12:37pm / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives!
A Friend

Huge Harddrives!

I think Solid-State-Drives are very promising. While the storage sizes are small, they are lightning fast, make boot times a lot quicker, and is less susceptible to damage, especially if you're using a laptop on the road

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 27th Nov, 2016 - 9:49pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Huge Harddrives! - Page 3

New perovskite could lead the next generation of data storage

Scientists have developed a new perovskite material with unique properties that can be used to build next-generation hard drives. Ref. Source 5a.

Post Date: 27th Nov, 2016 - 10:24pm / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives!
A Friend

Huge Harddrives! Computer Issues & Video Gaming - Page 3

With hard drives getting smaller and holding more data I can see that maybe this new tech can help make them even bigger and still about the same size they are now. I think we will see 512 TB soon.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Huge Harddrives!

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,