Huge Harddrives! - Page 2 of 4

I don't know if this is true or not - Page 2 - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 27th Apr, 2006 - 12:32am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
General Discussion about how huge they will get. Specific HD reviews are within their own Threads.
22nd Nov, 2005 - 12:43pm / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives! - Page 2

I guess I am in the minority here, but I see no problem with the larger hard drives in most cases. I haven't run a scandisk on my PC in years. I have software in place to prevent a virus from launching so I don't bother to scan. Also, with the newer OS's, you don't generally need to do a defrag. Only if you experience problems, which I have not had.

Also, I think that it is exactly because of the programs of today that we need these larger drives...or is it because of the larger drives that we need these programs? I am not sure, but what I do know is that programming today is not as good as it used to be about keeping file size and memory requirements low. It takes a ton of space for pictures from digital cameras, mp3s - which store much more than music, etc.

The problem with DVDs, etc., is that they run much slower than a hard drive. Also, some programs won't run if they don't have read access to your drive. Quicken for example. You cannot open a Quicken database from a CD. You have to put it on a readable hard drive.

Now, the one exception for me would be that as hard drives get larger, it becomes much more difficult at work to convince anyone to delete files and backup time windows become a major problem. Otherwise, I am happy for the larger hard drives.

Sponsored Links:
17th Jan, 2006 - 2:23am / Post ID: #

Harddrives Huge

Now anyone concerned about the large capacity that hard drives have grown up to the hundreds of Gigabytes in the past years I recommend that you brace yourself. New hard drive technology allows for the data on a drive to be written or grouped vertically rather than in the circular pattern of the drive thereby allowing more data storage on a smaller area. This is a huge breakthrough for network storage in my eyes as well as for data backup purposes.

https://www.businessweek.com/ap/tech/D8F5PQ...tech_up&chan=tc

Post Date: 26th Apr, 2006 - 7:16pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Huge Harddrives! Gaming Video & Issues Computer

Seagate to Unveil 750-Gigabyte Hard Drives

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Seagate Technology LLC is beefing up the capacity of its hard disk drives to a whopping 750 gigabytes, offering consumers of digital media more storage for their computers than ever before.
Ref. https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060426/ap_on_..._monster_drives

26th Apr, 2006 - 11:18pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Harddrives Huge

I really do not see the need for a 750GB hard drive on a desktop pc unless the person is running some type of server, or deals with a large number of media files like DVD movies, etc. Doesn't Windows not deal with large hard-drives very well anyway? I remember having a discussion like this with a coworker and he thought it was a waste of time to even have a large HD in a Windows machine. Maybe that limitation has been fixed or allowed since.

26th Apr, 2006 - 11:27pm / Post ID: #

Harddrives Huge

QUOTE (Malexander)
Maybe that limitation has been fixed or allowed since.

For Windows 2000 Professional this was actually fixed within one of the updates of Service Pack 4 and Windows XP really does not have any drive limitations that we can reach as of yet. I believe XP will actually see up to 2 tarabytes but I will have to do some research to say that for sure.

27th Apr, 2006 - 12:13am / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives!

Can you imagine scanning or defraging a drive that big? There is going to be a need for an operating system that handles such space cluttered with files in a more efficient manner. Ultimately I think the future will be flash drives as the disc and spindle has got to go at some point. I still cannot phantom using any one piece of equipment with that much data - the risk of losing it all would break my heart.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Apr, 2006 - 12:15am / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives! - Page 2

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad)
that much data - the risk of losing it all would break my heart.

For this reason I buy all hard drives in pairs. I believe in mirrors or some type of redundancy passionately. This does get expensive though.

Post Date: 27th Apr, 2006 - 12:32am / Post ID: #

Huge Harddrives!
A Friend

Huge Harddrives! Computer Issues & Video Gaming - Page 2

I don't know if this is true or not but I was watching tv and I heard a commercial introducing a 1 terabyte hard drive. Have you guys heard anything.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Huge Harddrives!

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,