Sleep - Page 2 of 10

QUOTE (Tortdog)JB: You didn't mention - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 6th Sep, 2007 - 1:03pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (10) »

?
Poll: How many hours do you sleep for per day?
  1-2       0.00%
  3-4       3.85%
  5-6       46.15%
  7-8       34.62%
  9-10       11.54%
  11-12       3.85%
  13-14       0.00%
  15+       0.00%
Total Votes: 26
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Top  Sleep Did you get enough of it? Can you make up for lack of it? How long do you normally sleep? Sleeping
Post Date: 24th Jun, 2005 - 4:27am / Post ID: #

Sleep
A Friend

Sleep - Page 2

Would you have to take into account whether you slept well or not? For example, if I sleep for 6 hours one night and have horrible nightmares, would that be better or worse than sleeping only 3 or 4?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 25th Mar, 2006 - 12:06pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Sleep

Sleep Deprivation: The Great American Myth

People who get only 6 to 7 hours a night have a lower death rate than those who get 8 hours of sleep. -From a six-year study of more than a million adults Many Americans are sleep-deprived zombies, and a quarter of us now use some form of sleeping pill or aid at night.
Ref. https://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060323/sc_...eatamericanmyth

26th Mar, 2006 - 8:59pm / Post ID: #

Sleep Health & Special Psychology

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 4-Sep 04, 5:36 AM)
I actually find that if I can get a quick nap during the day then I feel better.

I usually get between 6 and 8 hours of sleep. I used to have fewer more often, but my husband is pretty good about going to sleep at a decent time, so I am getting better. I try to only let myself take a nap if I got less than 7 hours the night before. The problem is, I don't take quick naps! My mom can lay down and take a half-hour nap and wake up to the microwave timer. If I fall asleep in the afternoon it is for 2 hours! I suppose I could set my alarm, but it seems like every time I set the alarm for a half-hour later, it takes me a half-hour to fall asleep and it is for nothing.

I sleep deeper than my husband. He has gone through some experiences where he learned to be on his toes most of the time, and has woken up too easily ever since. It takes him a half-hour to fall asleep at night, whereas I only need 5 minutes most nights. I could probably sleep through a lot of things. But I guess we'll see if anything changes when we have a screaming baby in the house! smile.gif

3rd May, 2006 - 10:25am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Sleep

I work the night shift and find it very hard to get enough sleep. My sleep gets interrupted a lot with phone calls and outside noise. Also, it's very hard to come home and go right to bed without unwinding first. I usually get five or six hours and think that's sufficient, but I know to feel my best I should have seven or eight.

3rd May, 2006 - 6:19pm / Post ID: #

Sleep

I need at least 8 hours sleep, or I end up really irritable and cranky.
Once my head hits the pillow, I am asleep pretty quickly thereafter!
My husband doesn't sleep as heavy as I do, which is a good job, because at least he hears if any of the children wake in the night.

If I have a broken nights sleep, it can take me days to catch up. I don't think you can really make up for the sleep that you have lost. At least it doesn't seem to work for me!

Post Date: 5th Sep, 2007 - 10:48pm / Post ID: #

Sleep
A Friend

Sleep

The following was taken from an article in a magezine called, "Healthier You".
pg 14 Vol.1 issue 2

The American Acadamy of Sleep Medicines recommendations for getting a good night's sleep.

1. Try to sleep only when you are drowsy.
2. If you are unable to fall asleep of stay asleep, leave your bedroom and engage in a quiet activity elswhere.  Do not permit yourself to fall asleep outside the bedroom.  Return to bed when--and only when--you are sleepy.  Repeat this process as often as necessary throughout the night.
3. Maintain a regular arise time, even on days off work and on weekends.
4. Avoid napping during the daytime.  If daytime sleepiness becomes overwhelming, lip nap time to a simple nap of less then one hour, no later than 3 p.m.
5. Distract your mind.  Lying in bed unable to sleep and frustrated needs to the avoided.  Try reading or watching a videotape or listening to books on tape it may be necessary to go into another room to do these.
6. Avoid caffeine within four to six hours of bedtime.
7. Avoid the use of nicotine close to bedtime or during the night.
8. Do not drink alcoholic beverages within four to six hours of bedtime.
9. While a light snake before bedtime can promote sound sleep, avoid large meals.
10. Avoid strenuous exercise within six hours of bedtime.
11. Minimize light, noise and extremes in temperature in the bedroom.

Other Tips:
1. Keep a notepad by your bed to jot down the thooughts that keep you awake.
2. Regular exercise in the morning helps to set your body clock.
3. Use a "White noise" machine to lull yourself to sleep.
4. Take a cool shower before bed to lower body temperature.
5. Don't watch the evening news or anything else that may be disturbing before going to bed.
6. Make your bedroom a haven, with comfortable bedding, soft lights and no distractions.

Dr. Gordon Pederson of University of Utah recommends that you get a bed that has magnets in it. Magnets help the body reenergize itself and you will wake up more energized then with any other mattress.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please learn how to use the Quote Tags. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 5th Sep, 2007 - 11:12pm / Post ID: #

Sleep
A Friend

Sleep - Page 2

When I was younger, I didn't need much sleep. I could easily go with just a few hours. And I have spent consecutive days at work without sleep in the past.

Now? Not so much. I need about 7-8 hours to feel decent. And naps are appealing (whereas in the past they were not one bit).

JB: You didn't mention how many hours you sleep. I'm assuming you get very few in with a 24-hour operation going.

8. Do not drink alcoholic beverages within four to six hours of bedtime.

I had heard that heavy drinking was very helpful in getting a good night's rest. In fact, with enough of it you might sleep for a very, very long time.

Reconcile Edited: tortdog on 5th Sep, 2007 - 11:15pm

6th Sep, 2007 - 1:03pm / Post ID: #

Sleep Psychology Special & Health - Page 2

QUOTE (Tortdog)
JB: You didn't mention how many hours you sleep. I'm assuming you get very few in with a 24-hour operation going.

About 4-5 hours average, some days it can be as little as three hours and for the most six hours, but that is rare.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: Sleep

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,