The Mozart Effect. Your Opinion?

The Mozart Effect Opinion - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 26th Nov, 2004 - 12:08am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Music Therapy
Post Date: 24th Nov, 2004 - 8:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I couldn't necessarily decide whether to place this thread under Music or Psychology… This is the more appropriate place, I believe.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the term, The Mozart Effect was a theory that claimed listening to classical music will increase your mental capacity.

I know you probably won't want to read a whole essay about the theory just to state an opinion, so here are some basic facts.

-The Original findings were presented in 1993.

-It is founded on the principle observation that participants improved their scores on spatial-temporal (A guide to mathematics and aptitude.) tests after listening to one of Mozart's piano sonatas.

-An experiment with rats showed stimulation between brain cells and expressed higher levels of certain genes connecting between the brain cells.

-Scientist hope to adapt a music-therapy to treat Alzheimer's.

-Some scientist argue that there is a simple explanation… Such as, the music affecting a person's mood.

-Others believe that Mozart had a unique quality that tied into the affect.

-And still yet others feel that Mozart's music mimics some rhythmic cycles occurring in human brains.

My question is, what do you think?

Sponsored Links:
24th Nov, 2004 - 2:21pm / Post ID: #

Opinion Effect Mozart The

This is a very interesting discovery. I do not know if the Mozart Effect really exists but I do think that classical musical can really stimulate the brain cells, that's why they always recommend to new mothers to put classical musical for their children, even when they were pregnant since they said the fetus is able to listen and react.

Post Date: 24th Nov, 2004 - 2:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Mozart Effect. Your Opinion? Health & Special Psychology

^_^ Very true. Teenagers who listened to classical music as children show a higher success rate in overall life.

I try to get my day full of classical when I can. It relaxes me and keeps me at ease.

25th Nov, 2004 - 2:18am / Post ID: #

That's really interesting information, and doesn't really surprise me as music is supposed to be the purest form of communication. Do you have a link, Atiyana? I'd love to read the essay.

We listen to classical music often, but not exclusively. I don't like dirges and death marches, but the lighter melodies and uplifting pieces.

Roz

25th Nov, 2004 - 7:46am / Post ID: #

From personal experience, some of my best spatial-temporal years, when I excelled in math, etc, were accompanied by loud head banging music, such as hard rock and metal. It may have been coincidence, but there was no classical music involved at the time, and I still seemed to excel in mathematical concepts. There was a period in my life where I enjoyed classical music, but I saw no change in my aptitude. The theory may be well founded and backed by scientific data, but from my own experience, it doesnt seem to hold true.

25th Nov, 2004 - 1:11pm / Post ID: #

malexander, I cannot imagine how you was able to concentrate with such noise music!!! laugh.gif Heavy metal makes me very nervous and gets me very hyper and moody. Classical music/New Era or religious music makes me very calm and is when I personally can perform the most. I cannot concentrate around noise.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Nov, 2004 - 6:00pm / Post ID: #

The Mozart Effect. Opinion

QUOTE (malexander @ 25-Nov 04, 4:46 AM)
From personal experience, some of my best spatial-temporal years, when I excelled in math, etc, were accompanied by loud head banging music, such as hard rock and metal.

Maybe you would have done even better if you have listened to classical music laugh.gif

No, but I don't think the music you listen to can affect your brain when you're already grown. If it affects it at all, that is when you're still a baby, and your brain has not fully developed yet.

Post Date: 26th Nov, 2004 - 12:08am / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Mozart Effect. Opinion Psychology Special & Health

Of course FarSeer, here is the link. I found many different links for the information but this one seemed to be choc-full of the facts.
https://skepdic.com/mozart.html
There you go! Enjoy!

For Malexander, I've heard a lot of the same thing. Perhaps it varies from person to person but who can really tell? I myself find classical music very uplifting and I can often perform my tasks better and more quickly. I guess it depends on your preference. Classical music helps me concentrate while some heavier alternative creates enthusiasm.

For Smudge, in relation to Malexander's post, perhaps the theory is not for everyone. The studies showed that high school and college students who listened to classical music scored a higher percentage on mathematical tests, so it something that works for babies and adults as well. (-=Smirks.=- I am taking my Simon game back, pal. Touche! ) wink.gif

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: The Mozart Effect. Your Opinion?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,