Children Being Used As Guinea Pigs

Children Guinea Pigs - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 3rd Jan, 2005 - 7:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2005 - 2:40am / Post ID: #

A Friend

This absolutely disgusts me.

international QUOTE
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has announced plans to launch an outrageous new study in which participating low income families will have their children exposed to toxic pesticides over the course of two years. For taking part in these studies, each family will receive $970, a free video camera, a T-shirt, and a framed certificate of appreciation. The study entitled CHEERS (Children's
Environmental Exposure Research Study) will look at how chemicals can be ingested, inhaled or absorbed by children ranging from babies to 3 years old.

Source 5s

I don't see how anybody could do this to their child, even if they're in need of money. There are other options of getting money besides selling your child's health and possibly life.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Jan, 2005 - 2:55am / Post ID: #

Pigs Guinea Used Children

This absolutely disgusts me.

Me too, but not as much the families who give their babies disgust me, rather the EPA that consider making these experiments, knowing some families will be willing to risk their children for money.

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

3rd Jan, 2005 - 3:00am / Post ID: #

Children Being Used As Guinea Pigs History & Civil Business Politics

Oh my gosh, is this true or it us just an urban legend?. I cannot believe that an experiment like that could take place without the government doing anything about it!.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2005 - 3:52pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

This is a joke as I ever seen one. It is impossible to something like this would be real and not be use the word "prison" in the same sentence .. There is no way any country would tolerate this and if one my find such a country then both the organization and the government that alow this would suffer such sanctions that it would not worth it.

3rd Jan, 2005 - 4:16pm / Post ID: #

I found this hard to believe when I read it, so decided to find the actual study details from the EPA themselves. It would seem this OCA organization has reworded the study to make it seem more harmful than it is. According to the OCA:

new proposed study in which infants in participating low income families will be monitored for health impacts as they undergo exposure to known toxic chemicals over the course of two years.

Here is what the EPA is trying to do:

Participants are not required to use pesticides or to change any of their regular household routines or how they normally use bug sprays (pesticides).....

No. You and your child will not experience any risks from participating in this study.
We will not ask any parent to apply pesticides in their home to be a part of this study.
You are not required to change any of your regular household routines.
Researchers at EPA are very sensitive to issues associated with children participating in this study. The study protocol has been reviewed and approved by four independent institutional review boards for the protection of human participants

Apparently Duval county was chosen because of the above than higher pesticide concentrations in that area. It would seem the EPA is not asking anyone to go above and beyond their normal use or non-use, but would like to monitor kids in that area since there is high usage. The OCA seems driven by political propaganda as right off the bat they use Bush's name as condoning this:

led by Bush appointees

Here is the EPA website on the CHEERS program:

https://www.epa.gov/cheers/basic.htm#looking

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2005 - 4:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

That's a huge relief, but I'm still kind of hesitant to accept it. I just don't like the idea of children being used for research when chemicals are concerned. I just imagine it putting pressure on a child, even if it they aren't doing anything more than they were before.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Jan, 2005 - 6:05pm / Post ID: #

Children Used Guinea Pigs

That's a huge relief, but I'm still kind of hesitant to accept it. I just don't like the idea of children being used for research when chemicals are concerned.

I think the point is they aren't using the children for anything other than to monitor how the stuff they are already being exposed to affects them. This is important in an effort to actually help them. If it can be shown that certain chemicals that are being used every day are, in fact, harming young children, then steps can be taken to prevent such harm. Without the research, we will never know.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 3rd Jan, 2005 - 6:06pm

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

3rd Jan, 2005 - 7:53pm / Post ID: #

Children Used Guinea Pigs Politics Business Civil & History

Yes, we must understand that if the research was not done, the children would still be 'exposed' so to speak as they currently are. The government could come and say "Don't use pesticides more than twice a day" but they wouldn't have any proof or backing, so what good what that do. What the EPA is saying is that in the current conditions, if pesticides are going to be used as they are being used, then let's research the possible effects it may be having on children. Then the government can make a statement based on some facts. Nothing wrong with that in my book. What ticks me off is when these so called humanitarian organizations get on their political soap box and twist words around to make it seem worse than it is.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Children Being Used As Guinea Pigs

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,