Saint Patrick's Day

Saint Patrick' S Day - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 17th Mar, 2009 - 11:43am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
St. Patricks Day - St. Patrick's Day
18th Mar, 2005 - 2:57am / Post ID: #

Saint Patrick's Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

What is the origin of St. Patrick's day? What's with the shamrocks? What's a Blarney stone? Who *is* St. Patrick, anyway?

international QUOTE
By the time of his death, Patrick had baptized tens of thousands and established hundreds of churches throughout Ireland. Danger and hardship remained his constant companions. Twice he was imprisoned, but he was not discouraged. He wrote in his Confession: Daily I expect murder, fraud, or captivity, but I fear none of these things because of the promises of heaven. I have cast myself into the hands of God Almighty who rules everywhere.  Within a century this once pagan land became predominately Christian, possessing such a vigorous faith that Ireland in turn sent missionaries to Scotland, England, Germany and Belgium.  As an old man, Patrick looked back in awe: Those who never had knowledge of God but worshipped idols ... have now become ... Sons of God.  The old saint died in his beloved Ireland on March 17th, 460 A.D. The land that once enslaved him, had now been set free.
(Note: One of the most popular legends attributed to Patrick is that he used the shamrock as a visual aid to teach the principle of the Trinity. This story cannot be verified. However, from his writings it is evident the doctrine of the Trinity was central in his teaching.)
international QUOTE
Five miles north west of the small city of Cork is the village of Blarney - its name being derived from the Irish An blarna meaning 'the plain'. Near the village, standing almost 90 feet in height, is the solidly built castle of Blarney. Cormac MacCarthy erected the present castle, the third constructed at the site, in 1446. Built on a rock, above several caves, the tower originally had three storeys. On the top storey, just below the battlements on the parapet, is the world famous Blarney Stone, said to give the gift of eloquence to all who kiss it.
Source 5

Do you do anything special for this holiday? Do you "become Irish for a day"?

Sponsored Links:
18th Mar, 2005 - 3:09am / Post ID: #

Day Patricks Saint

Good luck on finding the answers to this one! laugh.gif My heritage is mostly Irish. I suspect that everyone in Ireland has kissed the Blarney Stone and therefore the history has been tainted with all sorts of great deeds attributed to St. Patrick. One of the ones that I have heard is that this also commemorates the chasing of the snakes away from Ireland by St. Patrick. Bit of symbolism in there I suspect.

If you get a chance to go to Ireland, take it! I highly recommend a visit.

Vincenzo

18th Mar, 2006 - 10:53pm / Post ID: #

Saint Patrick's Day Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Well, this is a bit late, but Happy St. Patrick's day! Did anyone participate in any celebrations yesterday to commemorate the day?

19th Mar, 2006 - 6:52am / Post ID: #

Day Patricks Saint

We celebrated St Patricks day here in England for sure. On the 17th itself the big horse race at the Cheltenham Festival had Irish trained horses first, second and third.
Lots of Guinness was drunk !
The followiung day celebrations continued as Ireland beat England at Rugby Union

19th Mar, 2006 - 1:32pm / Post ID: #

Day Patricks Saint

I was following the Manchester England St Patrick's day celebrations, it is celebrated in grand style here!
The City Centre tends to come to a halt, and plenty of Guinness is consumed.
My favourite though, was the Irish dancing that was being displayed throughout various parts of the city.There were several tv showings of the celebrations, and when the Irish music comes on, you can't help but tap your toes in time to the rythm!
Both my husband and myself have Irish ancestors, and I'd love my little girl to do Irish dancing, I don't think it's something on her agenda though! laugh.gif

Post Date: 18th Mar, 2007 - 10:53am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Saint Patrick's Day

THRONGS IN N.Y., GEORGIA BRING OUT THE GREEN FOR ST. PATRICK

An ice storm wiped away the traditional green stripe painted on Fifth Avenue, but it could not keep away thousands of St. Patrick's Day celebrants from the city's parade Saturday.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/17/patricks....e.ap/index.html

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Mar, 2007 - 5:31am / Post ID: #

Saint Patrick's Day

We had an "Everyone's Irish on St. Pat's Day" dinner of corned beef and cabbage at my apartment building this year. I was the cook, and, even if I do say so myself, it was a terrific! I love the kind of meal you can toss in a pot and leave it for several hours, then open the pot and find a delightful dinner smile.gif

It was a rousing good time - but no beer consumed here! I'm quite strict about no alcohol at community functions. Happy St. Pat's!

17th Mar, 2009 - 11:43am / Post ID: #

Saint Patrick's Day Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

Happy St. Patrick's to those of you who celebrate it today.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Saint Patrick's Day

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,