Did Nephi Marry His Cousin?

Did Nephi Marry Cousin - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Mar, 2008 - 8:50am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

17th Apr, 2005 - 5:12pm / Post ID: #

Did Nephi Marry His Cousin?

We have a bunch of 'Jots & Tittles' cards and on one of the cards it says that Sariah, Lehi's wife, was the sister of Ishmael, the father of the daughters that the sons of Lehi married. This would mean that Nephi's father-in-law was also his uncle and his wife - his cousin. LDS_forever and I were looking up the scriptures for a reference to this, but did not find any. Does anyone have text to prove this claim?

Sponsored Links:
17th Apr, 2005 - 5:39pm / Post ID: #

Cousin Marry Nephi Did

I found the following information regards to this topic. It seems like Lucy Mack Smith wrote some letters giving more insight about the 116 lost pages of the Book of Mormon and she may have added it that information at some point of time on these letters:

"The Lucy Mack Smith letter is very significant. It is the earliest dated Restoration document and was written during the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. As such, it helps to verify Joseph Smith's account of the origin of the Book of Mormon. Critics have said that Joseph made up the account since he did not write it until several years later. They fail to point out that delayed reporting of important history is normal. Lucy's letter also gives us for the first time some information from the 116 lost pages. At the time that Lucy wrote the letter, January 23, 1829, this was the only portion of the Book of Mormon that had been translated. The information is that Ishmael was Sariah's brother. This helps explain why Ishmael and his family were willing to go with Lehi into the desert..."

https://www.restoredcovenant.org/Document.a...n+the+New+World

Post Date: 17th Feb, 2008 - 5:18pm / Post ID: #

Did Nephi Marry His Cousin? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Name: don

Comments: Unfortunately, that Lucy Mack Smith letter is a forgery.
(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hofmann)
Mark Hoffman was aware of speculation that Lehi and Ismael were related, so he added this to his forged letter.
My question: what other sources are there besides this letter that suggest or support the idea that Lehi and Ishmael were related?

3rd Mar, 2008 - 8:50am / Post ID: #

Cousin Marry Nephi Did

QUOTE (JB @ 17-Apr 05, 9:12 AM)
We have a bunch of 'Jots & Tittles' cards and on one of the cards it says that Sariah, Lehi's wife, was the sister of Ishmael, the father of the daughters that the sons of Lehi married.

I did some checking because the relation thing sounded familiar but I was under the impression that it was actually Lehi and Ishmael, not Sariah and Ishmael. The only thing I could find was from Hugh Nibley:

The proverbial ancestor of the Arabs is Ishmael. His is one of the few Old Testament names which is also at home in ancient Arabia. 46 His traditional homeland was the Tih, the desert between Palestine and Egypt, and his people were haunters of the "borders" between the desert and the town; 47 he was regarded as the legitimate offspring of Abraham by an Egyptian mother. His was not a name of good omen, for the angel had promised his mother, "he will be a wild man; his hand will be against everyone, and every man's hand against him," 48 so the chances are that one who bore his name had good family reasons for doing it, and in Lehi's friend Ishmael we surely have a man of the desert. Lehi, faced with the prospect of a long journey in the wilderness, sent back for Ishmael, who promptly followed into the desert with a large party; this means that he must have been hardly less adept at moving than Lehi himself. The interesting thing is that Nephi takes Ishmael (unlike Zoram) completely for granted, never explaining who he is or how he fits into the picture-the act of sending for him seems to be the most natural thing in the world, as does the marriage of his daughters with Lehi's sons. Since it has ever been the custom among the desert people for a man to marry the daughter of his paternal uncle (bint 'ammi), it is hard to avoid the impression that Lehi and Ishmael were related.
Link found at: https://www.boap.org/LDS/Hugh-Nibley/Lehi_i...ert_part_1.html

He obviously doesn't say that they were for certain, I just put it here because of him telling about the custom. What are your thoughts?

Rather off topic, but...
We had that game when I was a teenager! That would be cool to have now that I am actually past that stage in life and wanting to learn!

> TOPIC: Did Nephi Marry His Cousin?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,