Why Text Based Role-Playing Games?

Why Text Based Role-playing Games - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 10th Sep, 2005 - 4:22am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

23rd April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Fighter
Fighter
Wizard
Wizard
Ranger
Ranger
Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin
Draconian
Draconian
Barbarian
Barbarian
Warlock
Warlock
Cleric
Cleric

+  1 2 3 4 5 
What is your argument / position about Text Role-Playing Games?
Post Date: 17th May, 2005 - 9:26am / Post ID: #

Consider the various forms of Role-Play Gaming today such as:

* Computer - with graphics and some cases network capability
* In Person Live - where you meet face to face
* Internet Live - where you use an interactive chat-like script

You then have to wonder why some humans would take the time to play a Forum Text Based game - yet, there is quite a population of these types of Role-playing Games out there. What do you think is the reason for this? Is it that true RPGers want to taste it all or are they missing the real flavor that comes from constructive word building that requires vivid imagination to realize plots in a scenario? What is your view?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th May, 2005 - 10:15pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Games Role-Playing Based Text Why

I play a text based game because it allows for anonymity so to speak. I always considered gamers to be kinda goofy and nerdy. I have always wanted to try one, but never wanted to be associated with the people I knew that where gamers.

I don't want to pay money for something II'venever done, and just plain don't have the time. Text based online games allow for the freedom to be me and be my character with out being concerned about what others think. It also allows me to try it with out paying an absorbent amount of money for it before I know if I like it or not.

The top reason, after playing, that I like online text based RPG's, is because I can separate my character from me allot easier. I find that I like the ability to state things and present them as in character and out of character so that others can know whether I'm speaking as my character or as me.

Post Date: 21st Jul, 2005 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Why Text Based Role-Playing Games? Reviews RPG & Card Board

I used to play typical, so to say, RPGs - with a group of people face to face, but since I first took part in a PBF game I simply fell in love with forum RPGs. What attracts me to them most is the fact that I can put life into my characters. They become something more that just descriptions and statistics on the character sheet, with no or little history and without any real personality. In play by forum games I try to show emotions of my characters, describe their feelings and thoughts, being as realistic as I can. It feels to me almost like writing a novel, and it's definitely better than watching any movie. I deeply care for all my characters, all their ups and downs are very close to me. Practically I have no personal life biggrin.gif. And besides, PBFs are just there, anyone can try and you don't need to look very far. To get together a group of people, on the other hand, is not an easy task.

21st Jul, 2005 - 5:16pm / Post ID: #

Aeth you are an RPGer after my own heart. I too prefer text based games for the simple reason: your imagination is let loosed to a creative universe and whatever you choose to come up with rather than have a graphics card and someone's programming creativity do it for you. This puts you in charge and makes you feel as though you are one with the character (although some tend to take it a bit too far).

Post Date: 21st Jul, 2005 - 5:44pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Aeth you are an RPGer after my own heart.

I don't know what to say embarassed.gif. Thank you, JB@Trinidad.

makes you feel as though you are one with the character

Sometimes I wish that could be true. But only sometimes, after all it's a game and what it's all about is simply having a good time.
I have to say that I've always loved stories, but the ability to make my own story with my own character, not knowing what will come up next, is incomparable to any movie or book. I have nothing to do with the making of a movie or with writing a book - there I can only watch what the characters do. In RPGs I play the character and it's up to me how the character will react. And that's the feeling I love.

21st Jul, 2005 - 5:54pm / Post ID: #

Sometimes I wish that could be true

This is also a prime example of why text based RPG games have an edge, because you are spitting out the words it is already 'part' of you or rather represents your 'investment' into your character. Within this Community some have been known to become fanatical about their characters because of this 'relationship' built through imaginative words and phrases. Strangely enough this is most apparent in Cozyville as can be seen by some of the Citizen threads.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
10th Sep, 2005 - 12:53am / Post ID: #

Why Text Based Role-Playing Games

Text based games are better in my opinion for the same reason the book is almost always better than the movie. The insight into the characters thought is much more real when read than the person across the table saying, "My character thinks that....." There are many more reason that these games excel over their person to person counterparts. Writing the characters actions and thoughts down requires additional thinking on part of the author, they are better in their creation and for the most part peoples writing vocabulary exceeds that of their speaking vocabulary. That said, I also feel that games, not text based stories, need to have some structure so that the people and the characters have a measure of accomplishment and progress. I am looking forward to completing my 30 posts so I can see what kinds of RPG games are available on this site.

Wyldehorse

Post Date: 10th Sep, 2005 - 4:22am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Why Text Based Role-Playing Games Board Card & RPG Reviews

I love text based RPG's, particularly when it is done in a story form. I have a few friends and we just RP back and forth, and we have plots we have been working on for several years. I love it because I adore writing, and it gives me another way to push my writing to a whole different level. I don't know what the other person is going to do, and so I have to draw myself into a character, and it makes me think harder. I know how I might react to a situation, but it's a whole new playing field when I have to think how a certain personality other than my own would think. I have always been the type of person who did very well in English and Composition skills, and I have a love for words. Words can sometimes evoke more emotions and more of a sense of creativity than figures on a graphic RPG.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Why Text Based Role-Playing Games?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,