Sniper - Page 2 of 3

When it comes to snipers you do not have a - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 24th May, 2017 - 3:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
US Sniper Dirty or calculated combat? The role of the sniper as a military weapon is looked on differently depending on who you talk to. Some consider the sniper as an unfair combatant and yet others see the Sniper as one of the most effective tools of changing the direction of war. What are your thoughts?
Sniper Related Information to Sniper
Post Date: 6th Feb, 2016 - 8:29pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Sniper - Page 2

Mystery sniper killing IS leaders

A MYSTERIOUS gunman has taken down three Islamic State leaders in 10 days. Who is he, and who's he working for? Ref. Source 1o.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 19th Feb, 2017 - 4:16pm / Post ID: #

Sniper
A Friend

Sniper

Being a sniper is to remain aloof and unseen. It takes a good shot and a good calm person to make a long range shot and be able to get away unseen. I am good with shooting but I am not up to sniper material. I feel that if I pursed this career I may have been but I was not interested in that.

Reconcile Edited: KNtoran on 19th Feb, 2017 - 4:17pm

Post Date: 19th Feb, 2017 - 4:22pm / Post ID: #

Sniper
A Friend

Sniper History & Civil Business Politics

There is nothing fair about warfare, there never has been, and never will be. The use of snipers often allow for military objectives to be completed much more cleanly than otherwise.

I also find the comparison to mines ridiculous. A precision tool that kills specific targets vs a crude trap that kills indiscriminately…

Post Date: 23rd Apr, 2017 - 11:55am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 2 Sniper

This Iraqi sniper picks off ISIS fighters as they hide behind human shields

The police forces have had an important role to play since the start an offensive in October to drive the militants from Mosul. For the past few months, they've gained a higher profile taking out ISIS positions in western Mosul while creating escape routes for trapped civilians in tight quarters. Ref. USAToday.

Post Date: 23rd Apr, 2017 - 1:31pm / Post ID: #

Sniper
A Friend

Sniper

I know that having snipers is a good think in parts of combat. IF you can take out a bad guy to save a civilian or take out a leader to help end the battle quicker that is a good thing in my book. I think these snipers are doing a great job.

Post Date: 23rd Apr, 2017 - 1:56pm / Post ID: #

Sniper
A Friend

Sniper

Here's one I need to respond to. Let me lay out my bona fides, over the course of my 22 years in the Army I attended two separate sniper training programs, and at one time I was rated as one of the best shots in the country. Now, that was a few years ago so much has changed, but I feel well qualified to answer this thread. Also, the link isn't working any longer, so I'm responding to some of the responses rather than the article and to the new article as well.

First, snipers are nothing like mines, as Daishain said. Snipers are precision instruments. Snipers usually operate in two person teams, one as a spotter and the other as the shooter. On a proper team, the two are interchangeable and can operate as spotter or shooter. The spotter makes absolutely sure that the target acquired is the correct target. Although we're human and mistakes happen, this spotting makes it more difficult to hit the wrong target. Mines kill whomever walks by or on them, soldiers, civilians, children, aid workers, it makes no difference.

Second, snipers are used for a variety of mission. There is the normal mission that we see on TV all the time, which is go out and kill someone. There is also the counter-sniper mission, which is go out and find your counterpart through your knowledge of what snipers do and take her/him out. And yes, I said her. The Israelis have some deadly female snipers. Then there is the counter morale mission. In this mission we go out and shoot to wound. Why wound? Because a wounded person moans and groans and that hurts morale. Plus, a wounded person takes one or two people to treat him and take him to medical help. We've also been taught to shoot at the radio operator. Why? Because a radio can bring in fire support so it accounts for a tremendous amount of a units firepower. Shoot the radio operator, then the next radio operator, and the next and nobody will want to pick it up. But since it's still operable there is an officer or sergeant yelling at his people to pick it up. Then snipers are often used as scouts. There are other mission I won't go into here.

Lastly, I want to quell the notion that you only have to be a good shot to be a good sniper. That isn't the case. You have to be a good shot to be a good shot, and that is one of the requirements to be a sniper. But you also have to be good in math. You have to be able to calculate the range and what the bullet will do as it travel over that distance. As it exits the barrel it drops, then it rises, and then it drops again as gravity effects it. Things like wind, temperature, rain, time of day all have an impact on this. Back in my day we had to calculate that out, adjust our scope with our calculations, and then take the shot. Today, the scopes do much of the calculations but the sniper still knows the math in case the scope doesn't work.

You also have to be quiet. Snipers often operate behind enemy lines. Being quiet and able to move very slowly so you aren't spotted is very important. It could take hours moving in a heavy ghillie suit to go just 100 yards. When I went through my first sniper school I had to move through tall grass under direct observation without being spotted in a ghillie suit, in heat of North Carolina in the summer. It wasn't easy. We lost a third of the class on the first dayin an exercise I'll describe later and ended up graduating one in ten that started.

And patience, a sniper needs patience. You can spend a whole day looking at one patch of ground and never see your target. But you job is to stay there, maybe for days. You have to have the patience to be observant. The day we started we were all sitting in the classroom since we got there early as all good soldiers do. All of a sudden the instructors walked in carrying a table with ten items on it. Many people just kept talking, I figured they did that for a reason and I had the patience to study the table. Then they left. Ten minutes later they cut off the light, took out the table, and handed out paper. If you couldn't name seven of the ten items on that table they sent you home that day. That taught patience and observation.

Sniper training is tough, but the life skills it teaches on top of the obvious skills are great. It teaches the importance of preparation, patience, and above all it teaches humility.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 23rd Apr, 2017 - 1:57pm / Post ID: #

Sniper
A Friend

Sniper - Page 2

Agreed, a difficult job, but one that is vital. Precision elimination of certain hostiles can save a lot of lives.

24th May, 2017 - 3:54pm / Post ID: #

Sniper Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

When it comes to snipers you do not have a chance even at 1.5 miles away! Maybe Abninja can relate to this kill made by a CheyTac M200.

international QUOTE
From 1.5 miles out, the shot would take more than 3 seconds to reach the target, but still hits with enough energy to kill effectively. The incident happened two weeks ago in the Iraqi city of Mosul. The ISIS fighter was leaving a building. Ref. Source 8g

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Sniper

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,