Recovering Smoker

Recovering Smoker - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 17th Oct, 2006 - 10:14pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (29) »
Recovering Smoker My name is and I am a...
Post Date: 4th Sep, 2005 - 10:40pm / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker

Recovering Smoker

If you are a recovering smoker (including marijuana and or opium) or currently attempting to overcome the addiction then feel free to place your story here.

Alcohol or Drug Abuse or All Substances

NOTE: This thread is NOT the same as your introduction thread where you tell us about your life in general, please stay on topic by keeping on the steps you have made to overcome this addiction.

Recovering Smoker
Recovering Smoker (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
5th Sep, 2005 - 7:55pm / Post ID: #

Smoker Recovering

Hi. My name is Roz and I'm a NON-smoker!

I quit smoking April 13, 2003, and have not picked up a cigarette since that date (except to throw away the half a pack I kept in the cupboard for "emergencies" that never happened).

The program I followed was given to me by a sweet lady from church who was a great source of encouragement to me. She never nagged; in fact, after her initial "pitch" of the program, she never said a word except to tell me how proud she was of me.

I am mortified to know that I reeked of smoke for so many years, and didn't know it. I have developed a true aversion to cigarettes.

Now, you have to understand that I started smoking when I was 11 years old, and smoked until I was 42. There were a few times I "tried" to quit, and even a period of about 6 years that I quit completely in my mid-20's. However, this is the first time I've actually found the practice distasteful, and have passed out the information on the program to other people trying to quit!

I feel so blessed to have "seen the light" on this particular matter, and taken the steps necessary to clean up my body and my life. I will be forever grateful to the dear lady who helped me, and eternally grateful to God for answering my prayers for help.

Anyone seeking to quit smoking can use this same program. I'd be happy to post it here on the Forum.

5th Sep, 2005 - 11:04pm / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker Health & Special Psychology

I have quit smoking several times. The first time I quit it was for almost ten years. Then I started up again. The second time around it took 5 tries to finally do it. I can't remember when I quit last exactly, but I think it was around 1994.

When I am under times of great stress, I still get the urge, but I know if I smoked I would actually get sick so I don't see myself doing it again. Not to mention that cigarette abuse was one of the causes of the recent death of my stepmother. Plus the fact that is against the teachings of my Church.

Post Date: 6th Sep, 2005 - 2:24am / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker
A Friend

Smoker Recovering

I started smoking when I was 13, off and on at least. I finally quite for good June of 2003. I quite cold turkey and never went back. So I am coming on a year and a half smoke free. I think the key is that you want to quite more than you want to smoke. Lets face it, I enjoyed smoking, socially or otherwise. When smoking became a chore, I finally quite. No addiction was strong enough to break my sheer desire to quite and be free.

Post Date: 24th Feb, 2006 - 1:45pm / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker
A Friend

Smoker Recovering

Hi my name is Kat. I just quit smoking today. For the past month or so I would say to myself, I'll quit when I finish the rest of the cigarettes in the packet. The only problem with that was, when I finished it, I would think about quitting for a second then go buy another packet. I don't want to quit, and because of that, I know I have to. At the moment I'm sucking on a lozenge that helps you to quit. They hurt my throat, they're disgusting, and they make me sick. But I need to persevere. I have goals, and they don't include smoking. smile.gif

Post Date: 17th Oct, 2006 - 4:42pm / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker
A Friend

Recovering Smoker

Well, I started smoking again in December of 2005 five, just four months after quitting. However, I quit again at the end of July of this year. I have been smoke free for over three months and I did it cold turkey again. I was easy to start again and easier to quit the second time. The problem was that everyone on my shift smoked. Things have since changed and now no one smokes on shift. This makes it easy for me to not smoke now...again.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
17th Oct, 2006 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker

Konq, you should ask Farseer to post her program here maybe it can help you in not falling again to the temptation. All the best.

17th Oct, 2006 - 10:14pm / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker Psychology Special & Health

Konquererz

The problem was that everyone on my shift smoked.

That's really the key, in my opinion. I smoked off and on for a period of about 10 years, from 15 to 25. I don't want to compare myself to those who started smoking at an earlier age and were heavier smokers for a longer period, but had I been around other smokers after I quit, I never could have. I've heard it said that it takes at least a year for the craving to go away. That means not being around people who smoke for at least that long. I know not everyone has that luxury, but I believe it's a real help if it can be done.

Reconcile Edited: Valla on 17th Oct, 2006 - 10:15pm

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (29) »

> TOPIC: Recovering Smoker

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,