Recovering Smoker - Page 2 of 29

Heh, I have a spot like that too, a bus stop - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 6th Nov, 2007 - 2:30am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (29) »
Recovering Smoker My name is and I am a...
18th Oct, 2006 - 1:49pm / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker - Page 2

I'd be happy to post the program here for those interested. It involves several steps, plus my own tips for what helped me in the process.

I didn't quit the first time I tried it. I think it took 3 or 4 attempts before something in my brain went "click!" That's the key, apparently - you have to want it enough to change your lifestyle completely.

The best thing is, I have not once had another craving for a cigarette in these past three years. I don't know if it's the program, or if it was that "click!" in my brain, but I've had no other problems with smoking since.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Oct, 2006 - 7:28pm / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker
A Friend

Smoker Recovering

I tell anyone who wants to smoke that the desire to quit has to be stronger than the desire to smoke. Until that happens, you are asking for failure. My wife tried and tried to quit and wasn't successful until recently. She has been smoke free for three months. But it came down to wanting to quit more than she wanted to smoke. Then she quit cold turkey and did it without much struggle past three days.

8th Jan, 2007 - 7:34pm / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker Health & Special Psychology

I stated at age 11 and quit at 33. It took me about 3 years to get there I would stop for a bit then start again but each time was longer and longer. I had many in support of me and non criticize if I slipped. I also stopped drinking in the same time period. Was hard but I made my mind up I wanted to so, that was the big one for me. I am 38 soon to be 39 and sometimes I still get that craving but have just learned give it 2 minutes and it will be gone. Remember drink lots of water you have to flush that nicotine out! Break your routines and you just might have to find some new friends! It is a life change not just one habit.

Good luck to all! Oh I also used Zyban for a bit it did help! Makes the cigarette taste just awful and curbs the urge to smoke. But be sure to follow the directions!

Post Date: 5th Nov, 2007 - 6:47am / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker
A Friend

Page 2 Smoker Recovering

I'm thinking for quitting or switching over to something else. I'm mostly just tired of smelling like smoke all the time, and it's damned annoying going out in the cold to smoke.
If I switch it'll probably be to that new "Snus" stuff that Camel makes. Does anyone who has done something like this before have any suggestions? I'm not too inclined to get off nicotine as it works pretty well as a mild anti-anxiety med.

5th Nov, 2007 - 2:12pm / Post ID: #

Smoker Recovering

I have to question if going from smoking tobacco to chewing tobacco is really the right move. Both have huge cancer issues that you might want to look at.

If anxiety is an issue you in your life you might be wise to talk to your doctor. Anxiety can lead to sever health issues and doubling that with the cancer agents in all tobacco products might be unwise.

I had high levels of anxiety for a few months in college I found heavy exercise quickly diminished them. All I did was sit ups and push ups it would quickly realign the body chemicals that caused the anxiety feelings. Natural endorphins are very powerful.

Feel free to pm me if you wish to discuss this in a more private manner.

Post Date: 5th Nov, 2007 - 2:54pm / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker
A Friend

Recovering Smoker

It's not so much anxiety but nerves, you know... jumpy I suppose it could be called. It's never about anything currently happening, and the more stressed I get the better it is oddly enough.

But on the smoking thing, I'd rather try a gradual transition. I tried the snus thing and found the actual smoking aspect is rather hard to dispense with. Any ideas on how long it takes to lose that habit independent of nicotine? It would be similar to using the gum.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
5th Nov, 2007 - 5:58pm / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker - Page 2

Jumpy you might ask your doctor about it, there are disorders out there that this is a symptom of something more serious. My Brother inlaw had a thyroid issue that caused him to be on edge and the doctor helped him with it; it was caused by a chemical imbalance. I recall something called the Jumpy Frenchman disorder...might wish to goggle that one I am unsure what it was caused by.

I had no luck in the nicotine gum I found I was better with nothing and just drinking water by the tub full. You are breaking a habit and need to use the same strategies one used to break any habit. That is changing you daily routines so as to avoid your triggers. I wrote down what I was doing when I suddenly felt like having a smoke then changed things up.

For example I always walked the same way to work and at the half way mark I found I was lighting up beside the small restaurant near me. So I walk around the other side of the bock to avoid that spot. Even you morning rituals change the order it might help. There are many great web site out there on this you should browse some for ideas.

Here is a great reason for stop smoking in all males. Please I putting this here in the interest of happy marriages every where wink.gif

https://www.buttout.net/

My biggest reason for quitting is now 9 years old....

Please keep in mind I quit and restarted a few time before I reached where I am now. Over all 3 years to quit, if you have one so be it just start again, never beat your self up about it as guilt should not be part of this just your own desire to stop.

Post Date: 6th Nov, 2007 - 2:30am / Post ID: #

Recovering Smoker
A Friend

Recovering Smoker Psychology Special & Health - Page 2

Heh, I have a spot like that too, a bus stop at the halfway point. Up until now all I've ever attempted was periodically cutting back, that I can do. The problem I have with the cold turkey method is that many people I've seen try it have ended up smoking more. I see the cutting down gradually method as more likely to succeed.
The jumpy thing is more ptsd related than anything else, I'm pretty much on top of it.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (29) »

> TOPIC: Recovering Smoker

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,