Overprotecting Your Children

Overprotecting Children - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 6th Jun, 2015 - 9:44pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Hovering over your child - not giving your children freedom or space
Post Date: 11th Sep, 2005 - 4:59pm / Post ID: #

Overprotect

Do you feel it is possible for parents to overprotect their children from the negativity of the world to the point that the child ends up being exposed to that same negativity from others in the end? Would overprotecting cause children to be in greater shock to negativity than those who were allowed to be exposed to it?

Sponsored Links:
11th Sep, 2005 - 8:19pm / Post ID: #

Children Overprotecting

Yes, it is possible for parents to overprotect their children and I personally think it is not the wisest thing to do. It is natural for parents to love and care for their children to such a extent that sometimes you do not want to exposed them to the reality of the world we live in right now but the reality is that if you do not show them and explain them and teach them those things, they will end up exposing themselves to it by other means and they will not know how to react to those changes they never thought they existed in the first place.

I am not saying to worry a 6 years old child with things that adults should handle such as crime, necessities of life, money, etc but I believe they should see that there are other children who are less fortunate than them and they should appreciate more what they have.

Post Date: 12th Sep, 2005 - 7:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Overprotecting Your Children Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I think it's absolutely true that OVERprotecting your children/teens can be damaging to their abilities to handle real-world problems later in life. Case in hand, a close friend of mine, 28 years old, has never been on a date because her mother has scared the daylights out of her about meeting people and having a normal social life outside of their home. She wants to, but even when it comes down to it, she will cancel at the last minute due to her own anxiety and fear of being raped/taken advantage of on a first date.
In my case, I was a perfect teenager up until I moved out of the house when I was 17. I was overprotected as well, couldn't stay at the skating rink past 10pm on the weekends and could never stay over at friends' homes because my parents didn't know them too well, or whatnot. I take full responsiblity for my own actions these days, but I went crazy when I moved out because I was never allowed to do anything growing up.
I think it's perfectly normal to worry and be concerned about letting your child/teen experiencing their firsts (first scares, heartbreaks, credit problems, let downs) etc, after all that is what the real world entails so they will be exposed to it sooner or later.

28th Jun, 2006 - 9:38pm / Post ID: #

Children Overprotecting

It is a fine line between protecting your child from all the harm that could come to them from the outside world, and overprotecting them to the point that you take away their natural independence.

By overprotecting a child in their early years, they don't learn to think for themselves, because they are used to a parent doing it for them, which later on in life could lead to indecisiveness as an adult.

sometimes, you just have to let a child get on with it, and be there just to guide them if they need your help. ... In my opinion.

Post Date: 6th Jun, 2015 - 9:44pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Children Overprotecting

The kind of parenting that does more harm than good

The parents who hover do their children more harm than good, according to new BYU research. Ref. Source 2z

> TOPIC: Overprotecting Your Children

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,