ADHD

Adhd - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 7th Dec, 2005 - 2:08pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Top  ADHD Diagnosed ADHD
Post Date: 16th Sep, 2005 - 3:52pm / Post ID: #

ADHD

ADHD

If you are diagnosed with ADHD, and you need medication to control your spontaneous actions, are you responsible for those actions that you cause when you are not medicated? Consider the following:

1. A child (Up to what age?) who cannot decide when medication is given.

2. An adult who is responsible for taking medication, but may forget.

3. Agency as opposed to brain disability or functionality.

Note: This is different from this thread, which covers if adults have ADHD, here we already assume that.

ADHD
ADHD (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 23rd Sep, 2005 - 7:56am / Post ID: #

ADHD
A Friend

ADHD

ADHD makes it harder to control your self and pay attention for any period of time. It hinders the ability to absorb knowledge and understand social surroundings. This is what it does.
https://www.adhd.com/family/resources/fastf...?reqNavId=3.3.2

That out of the way, something not listed is the inability to tell right from wrong. A child or adult with ADHD will still have the ability to distinguish right from wrong and make choices regarding such. Not taking the meds on time makes the person hyper and less attentive. That does not mean they cant make decisions on their own or even the right decisions. Not taking meds does not take them off the hook for their actions, it merely brings cause to take it into account when dealing with it.

5th Dec, 2005 - 8:11pm / Post ID: #

ADHD Health & Special Psychology

ADHD makes it harder to control your self and pay attention for any period of time.

I can sit at play a game or browse these forums for eighteen hours straight only getting up to refill my tea cup. Yet I was diagnosed with ADHD. My Sister can sit and read a 700+ page book without moving yet she was diagnosed with ADHD. Yes we both where a handful growing up but all kids are. Neither of us where trouble makers and both straight A students.

I find doctors giving this to any kid who doesn't care for a subject. Therefore they don't pay attention in those classes. Yes there are people who truly have ADHD but every kid can be spontaneous and not pay attention thats what kids do. So lets just diagnose them all with ADHD. Oh and forget about the side effects of Ritalin and Sylert we HAVE to have our kids sit still in history class.

"¢ Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take methylphenidate (medical name for ritalin) and talk to your doctor if you experience
· insomnia (difficulty sleeping);
· nervousness;
· drowsiness;
· dizziness;
· headache;
· blurred vision;
· tics (repetitive movements);
· abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting;
· decreased appetite or weight loss; or
· slower weight gain and/ or growth.

https://www.drugs.com/Ritalin/

Sure lets drug our kids and have them have headaches, blurred vision and loss of sleep before they get to school! thats the answer. Oh and the slower weight gain and growth just what kids need. Now they sleep in classes or call in sick for school hence the problem goes away ! Just the answer we want !

About ADHD please make SURE its not kids just being kids. Doctors truly hand this out way to freely.

Reconcile Edited: Kozak on 5th Dec, 2005 - 8:14pm

Post Date: 6th Dec, 2005 - 3:40am / Post ID: #

ADHD
A Friend

ADHD

I too was diagnosed with ADHD and various other learning disabilitys. It is not an excuse for bad or stupid behavior. To say that a chemical imbalance can solely dictate a persons actions is demeaning to the diagnosed person. It is true many people use it as an excuse and its temping to do so. I think the idea that they have less self control (and of course mature socially, emotionally and mentally slower)may be true but a person can learn self control and self discipline. I also believe one reason people, and children especially, with ADD do not believe they can control their actions is that teachers and parents unintentionally send the message that they don't believe they can. The idea that the disease is in charge, not the person is one of the most damaging misconceptions about ADD.
Once a person learns to cope with their ADHD, they can achieve as much as anyone else, though it may be more difficult, that just makes the satisfaction of achievement even better.

6th Dec, 2005 - 2:09pm / Post ID: #

ADHD

BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU OR OUR CHILD IS TAKING RITALIN, (Methylphenidate)!
As a child I was diagnosed with ADHD and was prescribed ritalin and as the drug wore off I experienced a "crash." A crash is a period of intense depression and lethargy as the medication wears off. It was terrible, it drove me to thoughts of suicide, working in the hospital I see an overabundance of children forced to take this drug and eventually attempting suicide. BE CAREFUL! I know I've only been a member here for 2 days but I have too much respect for you people to just sit by and not say anything.

6th Dec, 2005 - 6:04pm / Post ID: #

ADHD

I was diagnosed with ADHD right from Birth, they put me on Ritalin when I was 5 and I always had social trouble, however when they changed me to the new Stratera I became violent and started to show bad symptoms. When they took me off of it, I was normal, there were no signs of ADHD left at all. It baffled the doctor's for even to this day, they cannot tell I have it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th Dec, 2005 - 6:34am / Post ID: #

ADHD

I read somewhere that ADHD does go away in time, usually by adulthood. I forget where I read this so I can't back it up.

Post Date: 7th Dec, 2005 - 2:08pm / Post ID: #

ADHD
A Friend

ADHD Psychology Special & Health

I was told that ADD does not every 'go away' and in a way thats true. Though I (and most people I know with it) outgrew the impulsiveness and the hyperactivity, the symptoms of difficulty paying attention or focusing for a long time still last. This does not mean that medication should still be used.
I agree with Tastangee about the dangers and side effects of medication. I had never heard of anyone one else who had a crash but that happened to me when I was on the maximum dosage of concerta. I would become really moody and incredibly hungry (one of the side effects was losss of appetite while it was working).
I don't think that ever drove me to suicidal thoughts but I can believe that could happen. Anything that plays around with the chemicals that control your emotions iss a bad idea. If your child has ADD there are better, safer, more effective ways to deal with it then medication. The first thing is discipline and high expectations. It will take a child with ADHD longer to learn the material especially the way it is presented in most schools. People with ADD learn differently. Try taking frequent short breaks when working on homework. What I do is set a timer and force myself to work until it goes off then I alow myself to run circles in the back yard for a few minutes. It seems weird but at least for me personally it was effective. Another good suggestion is to get involved in a sport not only does it allow physical activity, it also increases discipline and a sense of accomplishment.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: ADHD

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,