ADHD - Page 3 of 5

Being around someone with ADHD can make you - Page 3 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 16th Nov, 2014 - 4:04am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Top  ADHD Diagnosed ADHD
10th Jan, 2006 - 4:00pm / Post ID: #

ADHD - Page 3

I'm actually researching the similarities between higher levels of SSRIs and Ritalin in treating ADD and ADHD. Even higher levels of SSRIs with fewer side-effects such as Wellbutrin seem to have better track records than Ritalin as far as long-term use and/or side effects that caused the patient to stop taking the medicine. I'm all for a more collaborative approach with therapy, the parents full involvement, the school and the doctors all working together. I know that some parents are doing this, but many are not.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th Feb, 2006 - 5:26pm / Post ID: #

ADHD
A Friend

ADHD

I have one child diagnosed with ADHD and one who is younger and, in my opinion, too young to make such a diagnosis, but exhibits many of the same behaviors and symptoms.

I absolutely do not believe that my child has been misdiagnosed. Her symptoms manifest themselves in a variety of situations, not just during school and during subjects she doesn't like. She is a bit wiggly, but her primary problem is inattention. She is capable of focusing on things she really likes for long periods of time, but neutral things or less enjoyable tasks she has a tough time sticking with.

I have to admit, one of my pet peeves is when people dismiss ADHD as being just "kids being kids" or something that can be helped by "giving a good whoopin.'"

We've tried a few different medications and nothing seemed to help without side effects. She is currently unmedicated.

We've given up, for the moment, on traditional school. She is currently doing a home study program, which she loves. We have had most success when we stretch out her work over the whole day.

Because someone asked about symptoms, I'll say these are the ones we see the most.
1) general fidgety-ness
2) short attention span
3) impulsivity
4) inability to complete tasks without reminders
5) difficultly in following directions, particularly multi-part directions, but even simple, one step directions, too
6) loses things frequently
7) forgets things frequently
8) processes and acts on instructions more slowly

There are probably other things I'm forgetting, but these are what pop into mind first.

7th Feb, 2006 - 6:04pm / Post ID: #

ADHD Health & Special Psychology

Susan, thanks for sharing your story. I have a 5 years old son who has been diagnosed with ADHD, he is on Ritalin and the drug seem to work okay even though I am not very keen about some of the side effects. I live in Trinidad and Tobago, a tiny island in the Caribbean with a very rigid british system of education, the few special schools in the island are not up to the standards as it should be and teachers are not trained. My husband and I decided to let him stay home and teach him from here. We are getting a computer for him (he is very good at it) to add other innovatives ways for him to learn. He also suffers of a speech delay and late development. I fully understand what you mean when people do not understand what ADHD really is, I also have a hard time dealing with some people about it because they think he behaves the way he does because he is not being "trained". I feel sorry for so many kids I see who suffer of ADHD and all they receive from the parents are physical punishment.

How old is your daughter? what kind of program are you teaching her?

Post Date: 12th Feb, 2006 - 3:15am / Post ID: #

ADHD
A Friend

Page 3 ADHD

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 7-Feb 06, 1:04 PM)
How old is your daughter? what kind of program are you teaching her?

My daughter is 10 and enrolled in a home based, public charter school. She is officially a public school student so gets her curriculum from the school, but does most of the work at home. They do have activities and optional electives on campus, so she gets some interaction with other kids. I know there are lots of independent programs that are not affiliated with any school system but I am not knowledgable about any of them. Sorry I can't be of more help there.

12th Feb, 2006 - 3:18am / Post ID: #

ADHD

No problem, how do you cope psychologically with two kids with ADHD? I find myself feeling very frustrated and sad when I am unable to handle my 5 years old son. Do your kids have other learning disabilities besides having ADHD?

14th Jul, 2012 - 3:48pm / Post ID: #

ADHD

I have ADHD, but it is very hard for me to control it! You have this feeling that you have to do something or touch something, people with this problem doesn't like to rest often or settle down!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Jul, 2012 - 8:08pm / Post ID: #

ADHD - Page 3

I have a student who has severe ADHD. She told me in the past that she tried very hard to sit still and not move as a test but when she does that, her body starts aching her badly and she feels to puke.

16th Nov, 2014 - 4:04am / Post ID: #

ADHD Psychology Special & Health - Page 3

Being around someone with ADHD can make you nervous. They tend to infect their own lack of focus on everyone around them and then you end up being just as nervous.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: ADHD

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,