ADHD - Page 2 of 5

I never had side effects as dangerous on ritalin, - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 8th Jan, 2006 - 7:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Top  ADHD Diagnosed ADHD
14th Dec, 2005 - 12:58am / Post ID: #

ADHD - Page 2

Interesting conversation. I've been diagnosed with adult ADD, which sounds like AADD which just looks plain ole silly. I know that I'm a chronic "multi-tasker" and have to be doing at least three things at a time, but I don't necessarily believe that is a clear indicator that I'm deficient. I'd be interested in knowing what others believe their ADD symptoms are. If you're willing to post them, that is.

Sponsored Links:
14th Dec, 2005 - 11:12am / Post ID: #

ADHD

It doesn't sound like you have adult ADD, that is, unless you can't finish any of those tasks. If you can finish all your tasks, in a timely manner, then I would just consider you a type-A personality.

Me, I'm a chronic procrastinator, I have an assignment that I really don't want to do, I'll "find" distractions. It takes a serious effort to focus on a single task, much less multitask.

Reconcile Edited: Tastanagee on 14th Dec, 2005 - 11:14am

14th Dec, 2005 - 3:02pm / Post ID: #

ADHD Health & Special Psychology

I'm a "find a distraction" procrastinator as well. I've had school assignments and I'll reorganize my desk, do the laundry, do the dishes -- ANYTHING except the one thing that I have to do.

As far as the multi-tasking, I'm pretty well half-arsing everything when I do that, so I'm not sure about that either. We'll see. I'm working at writing things down more to see if there's a clear pattern. Did I mention also being totally OCD? I have to organize my lists if my lists are unorganized. Seriously, I shouldn't be a psych major -- I should be a psych patient. smile.gif

19th Dec, 2005 - 7:31am / Post ID: #

Page 2 ADHD

psych major -- I should be a psych patient

Who do psychiatrists see when they have problems.

Anyway, ADD and OCD, how interesting, the two are almost mutually exclusive, ADD being unable to focus, AND OCD Focusing on one task too much, but of course, I have no psychological background. But, a couple organized lists aren't OCD, maybe you're a hypochondriac, I don't know.

Message Edited!
Persephone: Removed the unnecessary. Please keep in mind the topic is: ADHD. Other topics may be opened for ADD / OCD / etc.

1st Jan, 2005 - 12:00pm / Post ID: #

ADHD

My son takes ritalin as his hyper personality becomes so physical and is beyond controllable, sometimes to the point that he becomes a danger to himself, however, yesterday he complained of pain in his heart and after a quick search of the net we saw that one side effect of the drug is 'palpitations' - scary.

1st Jan, 2005 - 12:32pm / Post ID: #

ADHD

I am not happy about this side of effect: "Palpitations". I think it is dangerous, yet I am not very familiar with the side effects of Ritalin. Does anyone has experienced this side effect while on medication? and do you know if it may affect the normal funcion of the heart at the long run?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 4th Jan, 2006 - 12:48am / Post ID: #

ADHD
A Friend

ADHD - Page 2

Growing up I was considered a trouble child, my mother thought I had ADHD and every doctor she went to said that there is no such thing as ADHD. Finally we found a doctor who said it is a very real thing, I was diagnosed with ADHD around age 10. By age 12 the doctor had given me the highest level of ratlin that he could give me. He told me and my mother that there is nothing else he could do that I would have to learn how to control it.

20 yrs later, I still have ADHD but I have learned to control it, through meditation and concentration. I am still able to multi-task, and have periods of extreme hyperness. Thankfully, I can control them when I want to let them out. Has I get older I'm able to control them for longer periods of time.

For those who are interested the same gene that gives us ADHD, also causes Tirets and OCD.

Post Date: 8th Jan, 2006 - 7:49pm / Post ID: #

ADHD
A Friend

ADHD Psychology Special & Health - Page 2

I never had side effects as dangerous on ritalin, as palpitations, the main side effects I had were loss of appetite and the coming off. When it wore off I would become extremely hungry, moody and hyper. my mother started giving me a half dosage when I got home from school so she could keep me under control and I could get my homework done. The problem with this was I couldn't sleep so the doctor prescribed sleeping pills. Thats part of the reason I'm not a big fan of pills to handle ADHD.
I had the more serious side effects on Concerta another drug similar to ritalin. When I was on the maximum dosage It began causing hallucinations. The doctor's solution to this too though was just more medications, Paxil and Risperdal, both of wich have there own side effects, to control this.
I know the loss of appetite is a common side effect, the hallucinations are not but these drugs effect serotonin absorbtion in the brain, a chemical neurotransmitter wich effects mood, appetite emotion and sleep, an excess of serotonin has been found in many studies to be a cause of many psychosis. I just believe parents should be very careful in along their children to take drugs that effect the chemistry of the brain particularly for extended periods of time. I'm sure its hard to handle a hyperactive child who doesn't do well in school but there have to be other ways. I believe any person is strong enough to handle whatever challenge God has given them even if it is internal. I understand why parents put there children on medication, they want them to be sucessfull in school and interact with their peers in a positive way, but medication should be only one temporary part of handling behavioral problems.

Here's one study that explores the effect of ritalin on serotonin levels:

Serotonin May Hold Key to Hyperactivity Disorder

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: ADHD

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,