CIA Secret Prisons - Torture

Cia Secret Prisons Torture - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 9th Dec, 2005 - 8:14am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (11) »

USA Torture All over the world
Post Date: 3rd Nov, 2005 - 1:17pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

REPORT: CIA OPERATES SECRET PRISONS

Suspected terrorists in U.S. Custody are being treated humanely, Bush administration officials said Wednesday after a report that American agents are holding prisoners in a worldwide network of secret facilities.
Ref. Source 2

Sponsored Links:
5th Nov, 2005 - 2:23pm / Post ID: #

Torture Prisons Secret CIA

This doesn't surprise me but it disturbs me. Secret prisons are the sorts of things you would expect to be used in China, not run by the CIA.

I think there is plenty of compelling evidence that US authorities are involved in prisoner rendition. It's basically a way they can honour their pledge to treat all prisoners well in their custody. Of course when a prisoner is being tortured in another country they are not under US custody.

Bush adviser Mr Hadley says that prisoners are treated "in a way that is consistent with our values and principles." Well it worries me that prisoners in US gaol's are treated in the same fashion as those at Abu Grahib.

Another thing that is disturbing is the White House threatening to derail a majority senate provision that American troops follow interrogation standards set in the Army Field Manual and be barred from "cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment" of prisoners in their custody. The fact that US Administration doesn't mind its troops behaving in this way is deplorable.

CNN and the Washington Post's censorship of the countries for these prisons is also disgraceful. Talk about having the media in your pocket. This should be made public knowledge so the citizens who vote for these people can shame them into doing something about it.

I can't quite understand the value of using torture to extract intelligence. Under those circumstances wouldn't people just say what they think the authorities would want to hear?

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

6th Nov, 2005 - 5:59am / Post ID: #

CIA Secret Prisons - Torture History & Civil Business Politics

I agree that it's not surprising, and it is disturbing.

Another thing that is disturbing is the White House threatening to derail a majority senate provision that American troops follow interrogation standards set in the Army Field Manual and be barred from "cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment" of prisoners in their custody. The fact that US Administration doesn't mind its troops behaving in this way is deplorable.
It isn't the regular military troops that would be expempt. What they want changed is wording that states that covert or clandestine operations are excluded from "the torture ban overseas by agencies other than the Pentagon 'if the president determines that such operations are vital to the protection of the United States or its citizens from terrorist attack.' ... Rep Bill Young has said the United States has no obligation to terrorists, and he and other top House Republicans have signaled they will try to change the Senate-approved language."

Still very disturbing, but it's not about the rank and file.
Here's the article about that:
https://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/25/con...s.ap/index.html

Offtopic but,
I can't quite understand the value of using torture to extract intelligence. Under those circumstances wouldn't people just say what they think the authorities would want to hear?
No, that's what people do while they still have their wits about them. Under more, shall we say "challenging circumstances" such as torture, people do what they have to, say what they have to, in order to protect themselves. I don't condone the use of torture, as a rule, but I understand it can be very effective.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

6th Nov, 2005 - 7:30am / Post ID: #

Thanks for clearing that up FarSeer.

Like yourself I don't condone the use of torture regardless of how effective it may be. I think the moment we forget about upholding basic human rights we become as bad as the terrorists.

Now if a CIA operative was to be captured by an organisation I'm certain they would want to be treated in accordance with the geneva convention. Of course there are a lot of groups that don't pay respect to that, but countries who lead the world should.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Post Date: 6th Dec, 2005 - 3:42pm / Post ID: #

CANADA WILL INVESTIGATE ALLEGATIONS OF SECRET CIA FLIGHTS

The United States Secretary of State is refusing to say outright that the U.S. does not operate secret prisons in Europe for the purpose of questioning suspected terrorists. But Condoleezza Rice does deny charges that Washington transports prisoners to, or through, other countries for the express purpose of interrogation involving torture.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...ghts051205.html

Extraordinary Rendition Scandal Reaches New Heights: Rice on the Offensive
in Europe Over Bush Administration's Use of "Torture Flights"

The scandal over the Bush administration's use of so-called "extraordinary renditions' is reaching new heights. Rendition - what many call kidnapping - is the highly controversial practice of transporting detainees seized overseas by U.S. agents to countries known for using torture. On Sunday, the Washington Post detailed how a German citizen was seized in Europe by the CIA, beaten, drugged and held to a secret prison in Afghanistan for five months before the agency realized they had the wrong man.
Ref. https://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/05/1455239

7th Dec, 2005 - 8:29am / Post ID: #

These are extremely disturbing developments and shed a very dark light on the CIA.

If the CIA is taking part in extraordinary rendition than this amounts to crimes against humanity. It also makes the CIA a terrorist organisation, not dissimilar to the KGB.

These extremists must be stopped. I understand the need for intelligence. But by going to such extremes you make yourself as bad as the terrorists you are trying to fight.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 9th Dec, 2005 - 12:52am / Post ID: #

CIA Secret Prisons Torture

As Rice Asserts U.S. Detainee Policy, a Look at "Torture Flights" and
Secret CIA Prisons

As Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says that U.S. interrogators are forbidden to use torture both at home and abroad, we speak with British journalist Stephen Grey on how he tracks so-called "torture flights" - when the CIA kidnaps a suspect of the street and transports them to secret prisons.
Ref. https://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/08/1421219

U.S. BANS USE OF TORTURE

The United States has made a clear, direct, unequivocal statement about the use of torture. Its official policy now is to honour the United Nations ban on cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment, not just at home, but around the world as well.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...ture051207.html

9th Dec, 2005 - 8:14am / Post ID: #

CIA Secret Prisons Torture Politics Business Civil & History

Everybody realize that this post is purely hypothetical. I have not attacked nor do I want to attack anybody.

I just attacked a major city in your country. I didn't die, but my mission was successful. A lot of people died because of me, you have arrested me, I tell you I know of more attacks and there's nothing you can do about it. What are you going to do about it? Yell at me? Hit me? You can't touch me, you even have to feed me what I want, and three times a day. I didn't even get that at home when I was free. More people are going to die because I don't want to say anything. And it is your duty to feed me, take care of me, and watch your people die.

Torture is acceptable. Only as a last resort but still acceptable.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 9 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.9%

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (11) »

> TOPIC: CIA Secret Prisons - Torture

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,