LDS Tithing Requirement

Lds Tithing Requirement - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 1st Apr, 2006 - 11:46pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
Mormons Paying Tithes - 10% Of Income - Is it Gross or Net? Before or after taxes?
Post Date: 26th Nov, 2005 - 12:44pm / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement
A Friend

LDS Tithing Requirement

A debate at work was sparked regarding mythology and rumors that always fly around groups we don't understand. In this case, many still view the LDS church as a cult and thus come up with obviously fabricated rumors. But this statement made me stop and think and made me want to find a real answer.

The statement was made that the LDS church REQUIRES tithe. So much in fact that it is automatically taken out of your paycheck. So here are my questions:

1.Is tithe taken from paychecks?
2.What is the scriptural bases if this is true?
3.What happens if you cant pay the tithe? (friend says that LDS church has a collections group that goes after it)

Thanks for the help in either explaining a mystery or quelling a rumor.

Sponsored Links:
26th Nov, 2005 - 12:58pm / Post ID: #

Requirement Tithing LDS

1.Is tithe taken from paychecks?

No, it is not. It is true that the LDS Church requires tithing from its members but is the choice of such member to make such payment or not. It is not taken from your paycheck. There are many LDS member who pay their tithing and others who choose not to do it for whatever circumnstance. We also give fast offerings. We are encouraged to fast once a month and then give the value of the meals we did not eat to the Church so they can use it to feed the poor. Tithings are used for construction of Temples and LDS chapels.

2.What is the scriptural bases if this is true?

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it". (Malachi 3:10).

3.What happens if you cant pay the tithe? (friend says that LDS church has a collections group that goes after it)

The group your friends refers to are 14 to 16 years old priesthood holders who responsibility is to collect tithing from the members. This is not done in every single LDS chapel, I never seen it in Argentina or Trinidad for instance and it is not done forcefully in ANY way. If you can't pay tithe, you just can't!. You are not going to be excommunicated, or chastise or anything. There are many members who are exempt from paying tithing because of their personal circumsntances. It is all between the person, the Bishop and the Lord. I hope it helps. wink.gif

26th Nov, 2005 - 1:30pm / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 26-Nov 05, 8:58 AM)
The group your friends refers to are 14 to 16 years old priesthood holders who responsibility is to collect tithing from the members.

LDS, those are Fast Offering collections. Not many wards (congregations) at all use this anymore.

When it is done, the young man offers the envelope to the person, who then can easily walk away, into another room, and put money into the envelope, or not, as he sees fit. The very slight hint of coersion associated with this practice is the reason that it has died out. Even where it is still practiced, anyone at all can ask that they not receive these visits.

Now, as to the consequences of not paying tithes:

The main consequence is that the person cannot go to the Temple. This means that they cannot attend Temple weddings or participate in the special ordinances that occur there.

There are a very few "callings" or positions of authority that someone who doesn't pay their tithes will be blocked from.

Someone who doesn't pay their tithes will not be able to attend one of the four or five Church-owned schools (BYU, BYU-Idaho, BYU-Hawaii, or the LDS Business College [did I miss any?]).

In order to go on a mission, the young adult must be paying a full tithe.

Those are the only consequences I can think of. A very secular example of this is this very forum. Some advantages are reserved for those who pay. However, those who don't pay, are given great advantages anyway. Participation is purely voluntary, as is payment.

The difference is that we believe that tithes are a commandment from God. The forum is just educational and fun.

26th Nov, 2005 - 2:37pm / Post ID: #

Requirement Tithing LDS

I actually laughed when I read the opening post, not at konquererz's question, but at the unbelievable rumors he has heard. I actually appreciate his willingness to ask rather than accept. I just don't get where this stuff comes from.

Not only does the Church NOT take money out of anyone's paycheck, they really have no way to know if I am paying a full tithe except to take my word for it.

At the end of each year, the Bishop meets with each family in the Ward (congregation), gives them an accounting of what has been received and asks if it represents a full tithe. This statistic is reported back to the Church Headquarters. However, no one is ever asked to prove how much they make to show it is a full tithe for example.

I guess the rumor of collectors comes from the practice of young priesthood holders collecting fast offerings. I have never lived anywhere that this practice was followed either.

An interesting fact to note is that no one in the congregation knows if anyone else does or doesn't pay tithing. No collection plate is ever passed in Church services. No one is ever asked to pay up. You fill out a tithing slip and hand in your donations one on one when you happen upon a member of the bishopric on Sundays. To me, this is much less itimidating than passing a plate and letting everyone sitting around me see how much I am giving.

It is true that we are all expected to pay tithing. This comes directly from the Bible and shouldn't be expected only of LDS members. In fact, many evangelical churches try to get their members to tithe as well. Still, whether or not I tithe (and I do) is not something anyone else knows.

I have no idea who does or doesn't tithe in my ward. I bet if I attended a church that passed a plate and never donated, everyone would know. So, to me, I think the way the LDS Church handles this is much more discrete and compassionate than how most churches handle it.

There are a very few "callings" or positions of authority that someone who doesn't pay their tithes will be blocked from.

I am not sure this is a true statement in all wards. I know in mine, it isn't. My husband once had a calling that required him to seek out people to assist in the Temple Cafeteria. To volunteer, you needed to hold a Temple recommend. If you don't pay a full tithe, you can't get a recommend. Well, they couldn't give him a list of who had a recommend and who didn't, but he was told that if someone had a calling of any significance, they had a recommend.

There are many members who are exempt from paying tithing because of their personal circumsntances. It is all between the person, the Bishop and the Lord. I hope it helps. 

When my son was very young and I was a single parent, I struggled financially. My Bishop told me to pay my tithing and they would give me back what I needed financially. Basically, at that time I gave $100 per month and they paid $200 per month towards my rent. I was told pay my $100 and they would pay out $200. They could have just as easily said, you pay nothing and we will pay out $100 towards your rent, but it was recognized that the Lord expected me to pay my tithing. Period. I got many blessings for doing so.

The scriptures don't say, pay your tithing if you can afford to pay it. The Lord has given me everything I have. He asks that I give back 10%. If you gave me ten cookies and asked for one in return, would that seem like you were asking for too much?

27th Nov, 2005 - 2:46am / Post ID: #

Requirement Tithing LDS

QUOTE (funbikerchick @ 26-Nov 05, 10:37 AM)

I am not sure this is a true statement in all wards. I know in mine, it isn't. My husband once had a calling that required him to seek out people to assist in the Temple Cafeteria. To volunteer, you needed to hold a Temple recommend. If you don't pay a full tithe, you can't get a recommend. Well, they couldn't give him a list of who had a recommend and who didn't, but he was told that if someone had a calling of any significance, they had a recommend.

Those are the very few positions I was talking about. Anything to do with the temple, from ordinance worker to janitor, requires a temple recommend, so requires payment of a full tithe.

Within the ward, I would think that only the Bishop requires a recommend. Possibly a couple of other leadership positions. There may be a few positions within the stake leadership where a temple recommend is required. I don't know of them.

Post Date: 27th Nov, 2005 - 6:16am / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement
A Friend

LDS Tithing Requirement

Thank you all for your answers, they are very helpful. I always try to put aside assumptions about other beliefs and cultures until I talk with those who live it. Rumors can get out of hand and stem from fear. Many people see LDS as a cult, and don't understand what its about. We fear what we don't understand, and rumors and whisperings come about to explain what they don't understand. Since its out of fear, its rarely accurate or good in general. Asking questions and getting answers from real LDS members opens up the lines of communication and breeds understanding among non-believers. Thank you for taking the time to answer. Anyone else who would like to add anything else, your comments are welcome!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Apr, 2006 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement

People are so funny. Collections group, indeed.

Remember the parable in the bible of the widow's mites? She was destitute, yet still paid her tithing ~ even if it were just a few pennies, she knew the law and obeyed it.

41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.
42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

And there is this:

Malachi 3:8 ¶ Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

Tithing is more about *obedience* and *sacrifice* than about *money*. God doesn't need our money. He wants us to be obedient, because that brings us happiness when we follow the commandments. Sacrifice helps to consecrate us to the work of the Lord. Yes, the church uses the money we provide, and it keeps the church solvent and and provides for the building of the kingdom and for the poor.

But the true blessings of tithing come to each individual and/or family who faithfully, prayerfully, willingly, and happily make the sacrifice and pay it. The scripture LDS_Forever quoted about "the windows of heaven pouring out a blessing" I can tell you is true. I'm grateful for the opportunity to pay tithing and receive those blessings for the sacrifice.

1st Apr, 2006 - 11:46pm / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement Mormon Doctrine Studies

Of notable mention is that the LDS church is not the only one that does tithing. I grew up in the Seventh Day Adventist church and they also enact tithing. In fact, my mother, who is still SDA, pays tithes to the church. I know this because I do her taxes. wink.gif Tithing to me is not such a horrible thing, until it is blown out of proportion by those who do not understand. Most churches do some form of tithing, even if it may not be labeled as such. Taking a collection at church takes into consideration that the more money you make, the more you should give to the Lord. A percentage is not spelled out but the concept is similar.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: LDS Tithing Requirement

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,