The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth - Page 3 of 6

Another video showing how the child is restrained - Page 3 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 17th Mar, 2014 - 5:11pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Top  The Media' s Portrayal Autism There is lots more to Autism than what you can get from watching a documentary. In fact for some parents coping with the challenges on a daily basis it can be comparitive to wrestling with the Hulk!
Post Date: 19th Aug, 2013 - 9:29pm / Post ID: #

The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth - Page 3

Name: Mom

Comments: I like the Hulk autism tantrum comparison. I never thought about it like that but it is very comparable. I bite my nails hoping that at some stage soon my son is able to control it somehow. I don't want to see him carrying this into his teen years or even adulthood. Scared mom.

Sponsored Links:
20th Aug, 2013 - 1:32pm / Post ID: #

Truth and Autism Portrayal Medias The

Counseling for this is a must but there should be places established to give you all some kind of relief so you're not dealing with this all the time. I don't mean to sound ignorant or insensitive but do autistic children reach the stage of needing a straight jacket, maybe if they have these Hulk tantrums often?

Post Date: 22nd Aug, 2013 - 6:05pm / Post ID: #

The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth
A Friend

The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth Health & Special Psychology

international QUOTE (FairMaiden @ 14-Aug 13, 12:16 PM)
I'm reading over the experiences here and I'm amazed. My amazement is about your ability to keep on doing it, at some point I think I would have cracked open like an egg from having to constantly cater for all the special needs. I know what a tantrum is like and it can be overwhelming even if its just once in a blue moon so to have to deal with that every day its just mind boggling. How do you all cope?

If you had a child that was on the spectrum you'd deal with it. When parents say to me:

"I don't think I could do it" I smile and say "You are under estimating yourself"

We all handle what comes our way. I have stopped myself and wondered how people care for others with Cancer. The deal is -- you just do.

Post Date: 10th Sep, 2013 - 3:22pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 3 Truth and Autism Portrayal Medias The

Anonymous Customer Pays for Bill of Family With Special Needs Child

Earlier this week, CNN reported that an anonymous customer at the Stag & Doe restaurant in China Grove, North Carolina, paid the bill of a family who was out to eat with their son, Riley England, who has special needs. The England family also brought younger son, Logan, and a grandparent and great-grandparent to dinner that night.

During dinner, the family experienced the challenging but typical behavior that Riley, who is non-verbal and suffers from epilepsy, exhibits. Riley was frustrated and hungry, and as a result he was acting out. Being non-verbal, his frustration often leads to screaming and fits. Ref. Source 8

28th Oct, 2013 - 11:30pm / Post ID: #

Truth and Autism Portrayal Medias The

This is an example of the 'Hulk moment' JB described. Like the woman said, most parents of autistic kids don't want to show you this:

29th Oct, 2013 - 2:53pm / Post ID: #

The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth

I know it's very hard to watch for most people, but is harder to deal with it. Nobody wants to do this to their own child in order to control them and calm them, but as you see, as the child grows and gets stronger there is really little that can be done with or without medication.

In this case, the body pressure that is being used against his body is what is calming him down. Most of the time, balls are used to produce the same effect or like in the case of Temple Gardin a special machine being built to produce it.

Like anything else, it must be done calmly and not in anger and definitely being very careful in not physically harm the autistic person.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Dec, 2013 - 9:54pm / Post ID: #

The Media's Portrayal Autism & Truth - Page 3

Most people just don't understand autism because the child is not suffering from a disease so they deem your situation as 'not so bad'.

international QUOTE
The University of Washington released a study earlier this month concluding that being the mother of a child with autism is more stressful than being the mother of a child with other kinds of developmental disabilities. Ref. Source 3

Even on Concerta my middle son suffers terribly with anxiety and could be considered a "Control freak" To the point that no one can function in the house unless they immediately attend to whatever is making him upset. Here is a parent who expresses her situation in a candid way:

international QUOTE
It's time to stop mincing words.
"Agitated?" Here's what agitation looks like at my house. It's nothing like the temper tantrums typically developing toddlers throw. It's scary. Dangerous. Violent. And, until I learned to spot the signs, unpredictable. Even at five and highly verbal, when our son's rage and frustration spin out of control he"ll lash out by hitting, biting, kicking and spitting. He"ll throw his toys, chairs, table and easel; run around breaking things; and become a threat to us and to himself. One especially terrible morning when he was 4, he threw a glass across the room, where it exploded against a wall. Then, all revved up and fascinated by the shards, he tried to run on them, barefoot. I barely grabbed him in time to avoid a trip to the emergency room. Ref. Source 1

17th Mar, 2014 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

The Media's Portrayal Autism & Truth Psychology Special & Health - Page 3

Another video showing how the child is restrained and how a swinging motion also helps. The dog and sibling are very patient with what is going on, in my situation it is all the opposite - when one has a tantrum they also start to have tantrums and I do feel like hiding under a rock when it occurs, no I'm not kidding.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,