Honor Killing

Honor Killing - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 27th May, 2007 - 6:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Cultural Aspect
Post Date: 31st Dec, 2005 - 11:56am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Honor Killing

'Honor' killings shock Pakistan

MULTAN, Pakistan (AP) -- Nazir Ahmed appears calm and unrepentant as he recounts how he slit the throats of his three young daughters and their 25-year old stepsister to salvage his family's "honor" -- a crime that shocked Pakistan. The 40-year old laborer, speaking to The Associated Press in police detention as he was being shifted to prison, confessed to just one regret -- that he didn't murder the stepsister's alleged lover, too.
Ref. https://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/...r.ap/index.html

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 2nd Jan, 2006 - 12:36am / Post ID: #

Honor Killing
A Friend

Killing Honor

This is murder in the guise of honor killing. I don't see the honor in this kill, only a man using it to mask his murderous insanity. What I can say about honor killing is that when honor truly is the reason, depending on the culture, its ok in my opinion as long as one is willing to answer to the laws of the country. But usually honor killing is done so that one does not have to suffer or does not have to get captured by another people and thus suffer that dishonor. This was no honor killing.

2nd Jan, 2006 - 1:07am / Post ID: #

Honor Killing Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Unfortunately, "honor killing" is a widely practiced and accepted practice throughout the Muslim world. I read about these things on a VERY frequent basis.

Here are a few links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing
This is the wikipedia entry on the subject.

https://www.secularislam.org/women/dont.htm
Yes, It is Islamic Don't Apologize for It!

In the last few weeks, the Swedish society has been touched by the brutal and calculated murder of Fadima Sahindal; a young courageous woman who chose to live according to her will and paid the price by her life. In the last two months, two other young women in Denmark and Britain were killed by their fathers because of the honor of the family. Honor of men and the family took their lives. Honor killing is a tribal and Islamic practice prevalent in Islam- ridden countries and Muslim inhabited communities in the West. Being killed deliberately and brutally is, in fact, a price that victims pay to practice their minimal human rights such as how to dress, talk to men other than their male family members, live, work and study independently, and marry at will, or have voluntary sexual relations.

Hundreds of women get shot, burned, strangled, stoned, poisoned, beheaded or stabbed every year in Islam ridden countries because their male relatives believe their actions have soiled the family name. They die, so family honor may survive. According to this tribal and religious practice, woman is a man's possession and a reflection of his honor. It is the man's honor that gets tarnished if a woman is 'loose'. The murderers and their defenders refer to this verse of the Koran that allows husbands to beat their wives: "As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill - conduct, admonish them, refuse to share their beds, beat them", the Koran, chapter 4, verse 34. Honor killing is a tribal practice that has been incorporated in the religion of Islam, because of its anti - women nature and misogynist philosophy. And the law is usually on the man's side, not only in the Middle Eastern and the Central Asian countries, but shamefully, in the Western countries too. They often letting murderers go unpunished or with a light sentence.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...norkilling.html
Thousands of Women Killed for Family "Honor"
This is a National Geographic article.
Hundreds, if not thousands, of women are murdered by their families each year in the name of family "honor." It's difficult to get precise numbers on the phenomenon of honor killing; the murders frequently go unreported, the perpetrators unpunished, and the concept of family honor justifies the act in the eyes of some societies.

Most honor killings occur in countries where the concept of women as a vessel of the family reputation predominates, said Marsha Freemen, director of International Women's Rights Action Watch at the Hubert Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs at the University of Minnesota.

So, was this guy in the first post of this topic really an insane murderer? No, he was upholding his religion and culture. For some reason, I find myself to be an opponent of this religion and culture.

2nd Jan, 2006 - 8:34am / Post ID: #

Killing Honor

The only honor killing I have ever heard of is ritual suicide, in the oriental sense, I forget what it's called. Granted, I have no contact with the muslim society so I can't comment on the religious aspect of honor killing, but I would think that murder is a bit harsh. Why not strip her of the family name and send her out to make her own way in the world. Wouldn't that serve the same purpose? But this is my extremely uneducated guess. I just think that murder for honor is a terrible excuse, there are so many other ways to appease honor.

Post Date: 2nd Jan, 2006 - 11:18am / Post ID: #

Honor Killing
A Friend

Killing Honor

(For Japanese ritual suicide: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku)

My opinion: I hate murderers. Regardless of cultural background, it's unforgiveable.

Reconcile Edited: auroris on 2nd Jan, 2006 - 11:19am

2nd Jan, 2006 - 3:44pm / Post ID: #

Honor Killing

QUOTE (Tastanagee @ 2-Jan 06, 4:29 AM)
I just think that murder for honor is a terrible excuse, there are so many other ways to appease honor.

I agree completely with this.

As you read through various topics on this forum, you will probably notice that I am not a fan of Islamic cultures. I have followed news of the Middle East for several years, and have done a very little bit of research on some of the history, cultures, and traditions of the region. Because of that, I have known for a long time of the hallowed tradition of "honor killing". I find it to be only one of the most horrible traditions from the Muslim "world". Another that is equally as abhorrent is the practice of "female circumcision". Both are designed to humiliate, subjugate, and dehumanize women.

in my humble opinion.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 7th Jan, 2006 - 4:10am / Post ID: #

Honor Killing
A Friend

Honor Killing

I personally believe killings is murder,period. If you want to avenge your honor there are so many different ways to do it.

27th May, 2007 - 6:53pm / Post ID: #

Honor Killing Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

From the discussion about Honor killings in the Iraq thread.

Karbala:

is absurd because this act was completely random

According to the UN dozens of honor killings are reported every year in Iraq, can you imagine the ones that go unreported? I won't call that "random".

If honor killings take place in ANY society, then is PART of their culture whether we want to accept it or not. It is common sense. Hence, if honor killings occur in Iraq as often as it seems they occur, then it is indeed part of the culture.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Honor Killing

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,