Gluten Free Celiac / Coeliac Cooking - Page 2 of 4

I have not forgotten just well kept forgetting - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 28th May, 2008 - 3:15am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Catering for those with Celiacs disease from someone who is experienced.
21st Sep, 2007 - 4:34pm / Post ID: #

Gluten Free Celiac / Coeliac Cooking - Page 2

I made the bread your posted last night. It is simular in texture to a tea biscuit. It is very nice we had it with beef stew complimented it very well.

Here is what I have ben using for flour.

non bean flours I mix

6 cup brown rice(should be white for a lighter texture)
2 cup potato starch
1 cup tapioca flour

Bean flours (watch out it is bean)

2 cup garfava flour (use fava as that is likely all you find it is a fava bean and chip pea mix)
1 cup sorghum flour
3 cup corn starch
3 cup[ tapioca flour.

Each is good for some things but in general you can use 1/2 cup of gf and 1/2 cup bean along with 1/2 to 1 tsp of xanthan gum per cup of flour used. This will replace almost cup for cup any wheat flour in a recipe. remember you might wish to double eggs to keep it light. I use Salba and egg replace in stead.

Here is a nice though rich treat for those wheat impaired

1 cup shortening or butter I use shortening though
1 cup brown sugar
1tsp vanilla
2 eggs (double to four for non wheat flours)
2 cup flour
1 tsp b soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cup chocolate chips.

I cream butter and sugar then add eggs then add this to the premixed dry goods.

Bake at 7 to 8 minutes. I find slightly longer with the gf and bean mix. maybe 10. Be carful you do not want to dry out the cookies. I find it helps if you really flatten out the 1" cookie dough ball prior to cooking.

For a great pie shell just use the gf mixture makes a great crust. Dust with icenning sugar when done to really kick it up.

Sponsored Links:
21st May, 2008 - 9:24pm / Post ID: #

Cooking Coeliac Celiac Free Gluten

they cannot eat anything which involves several food products including wheat, barley, oats, malt, glucose, flour, maize etc

I really cannot imagine life without eating a sandwich, burger, pizza or some freshly baked bread. As a matter of fact as I think of it this list eliminates corn flakes, battered chicken and a lot of other battered junk foods that have flour / wheat inside of it. That would include pasta too since that is made from flour. I feel for you!

22nd May, 2008 - 12:59pm / Post ID: #

Gluten Free Celiac / Coeliac Cooking Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Krusten there are good gluten free cereals out there. Rice puffs how ever in my opinion is not one of them.

Potato bread and many of the other flours are very tasty and make great breads just very tricky to learn how to cook with them. The two flour mixes I posted are nicer in flavor then any white flours in the market though with out being able to use eggs product they do tend to be much heavier. You use equal parts of the two and it can be put into your regular recipe cup for cup just add xanthan gum. For those who can eat eggs I would suggest trying some alternate flours you might be delighted in the flavor. Do buy all in small bags for experimenting though as they can be very pricey.

As for pasta I love rice pasta and never use the heavy wheat stuff any more. The rice cooks light like home made pasta. I have not tried making it yet just the store bought. I will warn everyone it cooks fast so careful you do not want to over cook it.

22nd May, 2008 - 4:34pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Cooking Coeliac Celiac Free Gluten

QUOTE (krakyn @ 22-May 08, 7:59 AM)
Krusten there are good gluten free cereals out there. Rice puffs how ever in my opinion is not one of them.

I agree that there are some better than others, the thing that we find the most difficult here is that 1 product one week is gluten free, then they slightly change the ingredients, and the next time you go to buy it...it's no longer gluten free!

We just spend a long time at supermarkets checking out labels, some shops are better at others for their 'gluten free' labelling, this is supposed to be much better in the UK by 2001.

Krakyn is spot on about the pasta also, as the gluten free ones cook faster, and if you're not careful you end up with a pan of gloop!

22nd May, 2008 - 6:17pm / Post ID: #

Cooking Coeliac Celiac Free Gluten

QUOTE (DianeC May 22@ 11:34AM)

We just spend a long time at supermarkets checking out labels, some shops are better at others for their 'gluten free' labeling, this is supposed to be much better in the UK by 2001.

My wife has used this product line from day one. I know you can have issue getting items imported to UK. So just thought I would mention it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E48IMO

22nd May, 2008 - 6:44pm / Post ID: #

Gluten Free Celiac / Coeliac Cooking

Thank you Krakyn, I saw something instantly there that we don't have here...peanut butter cereal puffs..I know they'll be an instant hit with my daughter...I appreciate you putting that on for us!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd May, 2008 - 7:53pm / Post ID: #

Gluten Free Celiac / Coeliac Cooking - Page 2

Most welcome after all it is hard to find much out there. I have to get the name of some real good nacho rice chips Zerhers here carries them witch is associated with the loblaws food chain store.

28th May, 2008 - 3:15am / Post ID: #

Gluten Free Celiac / Coeliac Cooking Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 2

I have not forgotten just well kept forgetting the product name but your are in luck GB has them!

https://www.riceworkssnacks.com/retailers_USA.html

That is a list of stores

Here is the main site The sea salt and the nacho style are excellent. My wife likes the salsa but not I.

https://www.riceworkssnacks.com/new_index_USA.html

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Gluten Free Celiac / Coeliac Cooking

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,