Women Gamers - Female Gamers - Page 6 of 7

Women have it hard, they always have to prove - Page 6 - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 25th Mar, 2016 - 1:05pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 7 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 
From the very beginning people have generally sterotyped the gender of a typical gamer as being male. That is right, we are moving up the gaming charts and taking over your manish influence in the gaming territory - look out!
12th Mar, 2013 - 9:25am / Post ID: #

Women Gamers - Female Gamers - Page 6

'Tag' sent me here, though I'm not sure if I'd be allowed in this group. I'm a Transwoman, which means I was born, physically, mostly male but I'm on the path to correct that. I have an interesting perspective on the sexes seeing as I was always somewhere in the middle yet not fully fitting either (which so sucks!)

Besides that, I've been a nerdy little gamer(Video/console/Tabeltop) since I was around 5 when I played Dungeons & Dragons for the first time with one of my older brothers(I have 2 of them). I own/have owned a lot of consoles in my life, including my still working Atari 2600 which I saved from my eldest brothers destructive hands. One of my past Roommates got me into playing shooter active games because the gu had an XBox and would only play Halo games, so one day I gave up and joined him, and discovered my love for the sniper rifle. That lead me to totally play the heck out of the Mass Effect and Gears of War franchises.
On my PC, I've played Diablo 1&2, Tribes2, Ultima Online, Final Fantasy, World of Warcraft, all the Warcraft and Starcraft games, City of Heroes(R.I.P), and several others.

In College, I also played different table top games, and card games like Magic: the Gathering, Marvel's Overpower, Legend of the Five Rings, and I dabbled in Pokemon(mostly because I was working in a comic book shop at the time.)

Rather off topic, but...
I'm also a huge movie nut. My favorite genres are Comedy and Horror. Guess I love to laugh and scream.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Mar, 2013 - 11:57am / Post ID: #

Women Gamers - Female Gamers
A Friend

Gamers Female Gamers Women

Sometimes I am shocked at how women are portrayed in the gaming world.

We are not the princess waiting to be saved by [Mario] nor are we dressing up as a boy to follow the link to are future.
We don't all have big boobs and where skimpy blue outfits and do cartwheels and kick men in the face.

Game developer interpretations of women aside I love being a gamer girl I have a PlayStation and a PlayStation two, an X Box 360 an old school still working Game Gear, and a Game boy Advanced with all of 2 games for it. I have played more computer games then I can remember and sometimes it seems like I live more on my computer then in reality which is fine with me.

I am an artist and I love gaming the hours around a kitchen table playing Dungeons & Dragons dose more for inspiring my art then all the museum trips I have ever taken.

When I started going to my live action roll play group many years ago I was a little shocked to be the 3ed girl on sight with a bout 30boys running a round swinging there foam swords. At next event I was shocked to see there was 5 of us, two having missed the event before, and that there was ready 45+ men in that group. We are such a small present sometimes and I love the attention the geeky boys and the knightly men show us in game but we are so often looked over as being no use on the battle field or someone needing to be protected.

Rather off topic, but...
Other comments: LARP - Live action role-playing game

I don't know if in the last 5 or 6 years it has become more socially acceptable to be a girl and a nerd. To be a girl and a gamer. To be a woman and in to geeky activity's, but looking back over all the many years of gaming in collage, high school, and the years after, the small and few girl gamers I met always where more in to it than the boys. And by more in to it I don't me there were more of us. No far from it, I mean they were more addicted to gaming, wanted to game more often, would entice others to join more than the men would, and would sit and play for much longer locks of time, they were just more in to gaming then many of the guys hell most of them I knew. The girl gamers I knew where not better, not best, not less, and not even. I just mean girl gamers got more engrossed and hooked on the fantasy and science fiction aspects of the community then the men. I would play video games with some buddy's and the men would be joking around with each other and me, when I played the same games with some female friends" they would be tilting there controllers yelling at the screen throwing popcorn and sit there for much longer sets of hours then the guys would who would get distracted or take brakes to watch movies or dos something different. Yet, the girls would stare in to the void glow of the scream eye without blinking on the verge of building energy up that you would back a way slowly to the words they cursed at their controllers even if they were whooping the games but and winning!

I guess what I am trying to saw is I don't understand why even if girl gamers are as good at gaming as boys and some times more in to it than them are we such a small % of the group and still seen as sub-par?

Edited Message Edited...
Support: Moved LARP content to LARP thread.

Post Date: 16th Sep, 2013 - 8:38pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Women Gamers - Female Gamers Gaming Video & Issues Computer

What it's like to be a woman making games

There's been a lot of anger creeping into my corner of the internet. Anger about the unequal or insensitive treatment of women and minorities, specifically within the game industry. Ref. Source 3

Post Date: 3rd Jul, 2014 - 10:29pm / Post ID: #

Page 6 Gamers Female Gamers Women

About time! Sexist rule changed

UPDATE: A rule forbidding women from entering a gaming championship has been revoked after a major outcry from gamers. Ref. Source 7

Post Date: 22nd Mar, 2016 - 12:09am / Post ID: #

Gamers Female Gamers Women

Microsoft's massive sexy schoolgirl fail

A DAY after Microsoft hosted an event to encourage more women into the gaming industry, they made a terrible choice of party entertainment. Ref. Source 6e.

22nd Mar, 2016 - 4:57am / Post ID: #

Women Gamers - Female Gamers

It took them long enough to get the blue screen out of their software so goofing on something like this shouldn't be surprised. Yet I don't know what the buzz is about, this is how women are portrayed in video game advertising. Are they going to change that if more women game designers come on board? I doubt it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 23rd Mar, 2016 - 12:55pm / Post ID: #

Women Gamers Female Gamers - Page 6

Why sexual harassment is worse than other types of abuse online

While many women gamers can shrug off much of the name-calling and abuse they receive while playing online video games, sexual harassment sticks with them even when they're offline. Ref. Source 7s.

25th Mar, 2016 - 1:05pm / Post ID: #

Women Gamers Female Gamers Computer Issues & Video Gaming - Page 6

Women have it hard, they always have to prove themselves and when they come to they are looked on like sex objects. That is so evidenced in what happened above. Maybe this can be corrected by putting the men in this position to bring everything to an equal ground but I notice when men are used people generally see it as "Gay" even in the gaming world. Besides that no one is going to put clothes on their female characters because that won't be good for sales.

+  « First of 7 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Women Gamers - Female Gamers

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,