Native American Or American Indian? - Page 4 of 5

Good point Chief, we do all like somewhere - Page 4 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 6th Aug, 2011 - 10:31pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Which term should be used?
18th Dec, 2009 - 9:52pm / Post ID: #

Native American Or American Indian? - Page 4

I'm only 3/32 Cherokee, so I'm hardly whatever name you want to use, by a lot of standards, but I still qualify for all the normal services afforded to the Tribes, such as free medical, food, etc - it is a pain to go through to get it, but still it is free.

As I grew up, and really, still yet to this day, around here in northeast Oklahoma, everyone still uses the term "Indian". You have "Native American" on all the forms and stuff you fill out, but that's official politically correct bureaucrat lingo required nowdays - most of us don't use that, and more or less tolerate or humor such terms as inevitable.

I don't have a problem with the term Native American, except it's long and I'm not used to it, but I also understand and am frustrated at the term "Indian" exactly for the reasons stated, that a lot of people get that confused with people from or descended from those from India - blast you, Columbus.

I use the term Native American for a lot of official forms and interviews and such, just because I know that's the general and expected politically-correct term, but I more still consider myself an Indian or American Indian, though I've not heard that phrase used here much.

A friend of my aunt's tenses up and rolls her eyes and gets, not really upset, but maybe disgusted or a bit offended, when I say something like "I guess I need to go get Indian food" or "Time to get food from the Indians", referring to the commodities program. I'm not sure WHY she has this reaction, and I've asked her more than once, and she can't seem to explain it, it's some sort of personal quirk she has, indescribable but firm - she doesn't get mad or think I'm being insulting on purpose, but really hates the phrase, even though like most others, she also uses the term "Indian" in everyday life, so I remain puzzled on that issue.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 10 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1%

Sponsored Links:
9th Aug, 2010 - 1:13pm / Post ID: #

Indian American American Native

We should be refered to the nation we represent. Both "American" and "Indian" have meanings given by the invaders. We have our own names from our lands, this is how we should be called.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 11 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.1%

Post Date: 10th Feb, 2011 - 1:09am / Post ID: #

Native American Or American Indian?
A Friend

Native American Or American Indian? History & Civil Business Politics

Native Americans, I think that term is more proper and formal for Native Americans. I also think it shows a level of respect for them unlike the former term. I think the colonists were trying to show natives a inferiority by calling them American Indians.

Post Date: 23rd Jul, 2011 - 9:03pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 4 Indian American American Native

I don't see anything offensive with American Indian or Indian. I am proud to be descended from these wonderful people. I think that politically correct is a synonm for hypersensitive.

27th Jul, 2011 - 12:07am / Post ID: #

Indian American American Native

"Indian" was given by the White man . Where did that name come from, did it come from us? Where did "America" come from, did it come from us? There were nations here before the White man came, we were referred to by these nation names.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 11 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.1%

27th Jul, 2011 - 1:31am / Post ID: #

PinotNoir I think you made a good point that society today is becoming more hypersensitive to name tags. Names that have degrading meanings should be avoided but common sense still needs a place to live.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
31st Jul, 2011 - 11:47pm / Post ID: #

Native American American Indian - Page 4

Sometimes the common sense is not good enough. You are from Canada will you like that someone calls you a Mexican or an African or something that is not of your country and of yourself?

6th Aug, 2011 - 10:31pm / Post ID: #

Native American American Indian Politics Business Civil & History - Page 4

Good point Chief, we do all like somewhere in our hearts our point of origin to be correctly re3cognized. I was born in northern Ontario and really do not consider my self to have the same heritage as those born in Toronto. I guess all I can suggest is do what I do when some one asked if I am American I say yes North America, specifically Canada and then open into a nice conversation on Canada.

I have never got my dander up about it though I know many who would. Just see no use in it where a quiet conversation about ones background and terminology seems to accomplish more in the end.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Native American Or American Indian?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,