Native American Or American Indian? - Page 2 of 5

Yeah, I think the name+the pictures definitely - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 29th Jan, 2008 - 12:54am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Which term should be used?
Post Date: 27th Jan, 2008 - 4:37am / Post ID: #

Native American Or American Indian?
A Friend

Native American Or American Indian? - Page 2

Hello there. As for me, I would prefer that I am not called by either American Indian or Native American, but rather by my tribal names- Cherokee or Muskogee Creek. However, I think "native" or "natives" work because we are native to this land.

We don't really like American Indian because we're not from India and America wasn't America until European people discovered it.
Native American is wrong, too, because in all of our old treaties with the government, we are referred to as "Indian" and if we suddenly changed the term we prefer, that could cause political problems.
I am alright with Indian, since that's how we are described in our treaties. So specific tribal names, native, or Indian are all good with me.

Sponsored Links:
27th Jan, 2008 - 4:49am / Post ID: #

Indian American American Native

I appreciate your input. Do you think the name of this Board as "Native American Nations" is not appropriate then? Since this is an International Community and we are covering both North and South American Indians here I could not think of a better name, unless you could suggest a name that would encompass the whole of the Western hemisphere?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

28th Jan, 2008 - 1:45am / Post ID: #

Native American Or American Indian? History & Civil Business Politics

When I was young 'Indian" was the word most used. Since moving into the Toronto area the word now seems to mean West or East Indian. I commonly use Native Canadian or First Nations and have not received negative feed back; it is interesting to see the varied responses here. I do hear many use the term aboriginal people more often, but I think it is a more general term used with referring to the native peoples of both the USA and Canada.

Native American I hear the most from USA broadcasts.

I often listen to a radio station from the Six Nation Reserve just South West of me. I hear the Term First Nations Peopl e most when referring to a group that is doing a concert or such. I really like is they often say my brothers and sisters very often when referring to an accomplishment of one person.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Post Date: 29th Jan, 2008 - 12:28am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Indian American American Native

JB,

I think Native American is a fine term, but I also believe you would attract more native members if you changed the name to American Indian. I'm not sure how much you know about the New Age movement, and how much it has offended us, but New Agers who like to pretend they are natives always use "Native American" and we don't like New Agers. Anything that says "Native American" on it usually sets off a red flag for us, that these are fakes who only want to steal our beliefs. I think American Indian is more acceptable to most native people. But it is up to you.

29th Jan, 2008 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Indian American American Native

What about 'American Indian Nations'? I felt the word 'Nation' is important because each is independent of each other.

Rather off topic, but...
I changed the image names.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 29th Jan, 2008 - 12:41am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I think that is a great idea. That's even better, and would definitely be more correct than just saying American Indians. I like it! smile.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Jan, 2008 - 12:52am / Post ID: #

Native American American Indian - Page 2

I am glad you like it, I am working on a change now. I noticed that each time I brought up the subject of posting here to inform us of your culture many groups seemed to be automatically offended, I thought it was so puzzling. I hope this change will help.

Post Date: 29th Jan, 2008 - 12:54am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Native American American Indian Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Yeah, I think the name+the pictures definitely turned them off towards the forum.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Native American Or American Indian?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,