Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 2 of 22

IndianChick, there is always the option of - Page 2 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 9th Jul, 2008 - 2:33pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (22) »
Trinidad Homeschooling
15th Apr, 2008 - 2:19pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 2

Hi Rose, it's great to know you are homeschooling! I am just following a free style homeschooling along with a couple of curriculum I got from a private school here in Trinidad. I am adapting the whole thing to my special needs 8 years old son. A couple of questions for you:

1. Why did you decide to home school?

2. What curriculum are you using?

3. Do you know other families home schooling in Trinidad?

4. Would you be interested in forming some sort of home schooling group?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Jun, 2008 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

Name: Ann

Comments: I read the Education Act and I am still confused. There is no definition of child/pupil so my question is: Does this Act apply to European citizens or all students in T&T? My son is finishing his first year of school and besides being bored (basically already knowing all the info, 100% in every subject except projects) and enjoying recess when he gets to play, I see so may negatives he obtained. From the breakdown of his proper English to slang to the other habits he acquired. I want to homeschool him and just want to be sure I am doing this legally. Any answers will be appreciated.

27th Jun, 2008 - 1:07am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Hi Ann, it seems like your son is quite a smart child! Congratulations. I fully understand the desire you have to home school. I am always surprised to see young kids speaking dialect.

In my personal view, the Education Act is very tricky...it does not encourage or directly says that home schooling is allowed BUT it specifically says that a child who is in compulsory age of attending school is exempt to attend if in the opinion of the Minister, he is receiving excused satisfactory instruction at home or elsewhere.

Rest assured, there are several local families home schooling in Trinidad.

Post Date: 27th Jun, 2008 - 1:12am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

Page 2 Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

Hi LDS,
Sorry to take so long to reply, I seemed to have problems finding this page again.
I started homeschooling for two reasons - one, my daughter was starting to have a problem in Maths, and I realised that she had not understood some stuff WAY back, and without the foundations she could not move on. In a class of 30 or so, the teacher was not able to really deal with it, and that brings me to to the second reason - in Standard 4, all the pressure of the SEA exam meant that she wasn't really being educated, or being taught to WANT to learn. All the emphasis was on speed, so she was writing down any old answer just to turn the page and finish in time, not bothering about accuracy.
I spoke to various people who I know were homeschooling, and we are using Lifepac, an AlphaOmega curriculum. It is good for me as I am just starting, so I need the structure.
I saw further back you said people look at you funny when you say you are homeschooling, but these days I find that many people say, "Oh I know someone who does that, or my sister does that" and don't seem to think it is so strange. In fact I am involved with a group of families, the group is getting too big, and other people are thinking of forming new ones.

27th Jun, 2008 - 2:35pm / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

What do you do when its time to get a job or go on to higher level of education with no certificates?

27th Jun, 2008 - 2:54pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago

Rose, congratulations! It seems like you are doing a terrific job. Is this group of home schooler parents here in Trinidad? How did you find them? Today I started with a visual schedule for my son, I will take a pic when I get a chance and post it here.

IndianChick, there are MANY universities that accept home school kids.

Rather off topic, but...
Don't forget to bookmark our forum!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Jul, 2008 - 7:14pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling Trinidad & Tobago - Page 2

Does UWI also accept that, I doubt, they real certificate hungry and might tell you to get graded first. You might have to end up telling your child he has to get ready for some exams at A level if he wants higher level education.

9th Jul, 2008 - 2:33pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 2

IndianChick, there is always the option of distance learning if the home school child is unable to study abroad.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (22) »

> TOPIC: Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,