American Indian Drug Abuse

American Indian Drug Abuse - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 31st Jan, 2017 - 6:20pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Alcohol & Drugs
Post Date: 16th Oct, 2006 - 4:50am / Post ID: #

American Indian Drug Abuse

A Big Problem?

Consider the following quote by Kirstie Alley:

international QUOTE
"Indians have a big problem with alcohol and drugs. I grew up with an admiration for their culture and was sensitive to their problems."

Do you think it really is a Big Problem or is it merely blown out of proportion?

19th Oct, 2006 - 10:41am / Post ID: #

Abuse Drug Indian American

I really think that this is a big problem among Native Americans, or at least I should say it seems more prevalent among them than in other cultures. I grew up in the Rocky Mountains where there are quite a few Native Americans and reservations and alcoholism was rampant among them.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 7 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.7%

Post Date: 17th Aug, 2007 - 3:06pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

American Indian Drug Abuse History & Civil Business Politics

COMMUNITY LEADERS CHARGED WITH BRINGING LIQUOR TO TROUBLED FIRST NATION

A former chief and an addiction worker are facing liquor offences and a band councillor was convicted in May of a similar charge on the troubled Pauingassi First Nation, which made national headlines last week when a six-year-old boy was reportedly bullied to death.
Ref. Source

17th Aug, 2007 - 4:06pm / Post ID: #

I have many relatives out west and they would concur that many of the reserves have big problems as to many of the the small communities around them. Much help is required to resolve the issue but the natives as a whole must also want that help, and chose to use it. It is sad to now so many waste their live in the pursuit of a bottle that only runs dry. As far as having a dry reserve only the reserve and its member can chose this. It has been proven time and time again that the reserve will do what they like and the federal government can do little to change that. If this was not true we would not be having the riots in the six nation reserves in Ontario that we do.

I think the real question is how does the federal government regain the trust and friendship of the native peoples so that they can work together rather than viewing each other as an obstacle to overcome.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Post Date: 31st Jan, 2017 - 6:20pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Posttraumatic stress and alcohol use disorders hit American-Indian, Alaskan-Native men the hardest

Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can develop after a traumatic event or events. Although it is most often associated with military personnel exposed to the trauma of combat, it can also disproportionately affect vulnerable American Indian and Alaskan-Native (AI/AN) populations. Because alcohol use disorders (AUDs) also have a disproportionate impact on AI/ANs, this study compared both lifetime PTSD and past-year AUD among AI/ANs and non-Hispanic Whites (NHWs). Ref. Source 5u.

Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: American Indian Drug Abuse

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,