Hispanic Not A Race?

Hispanic Race - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 10th Jan, 2007 - 12:23am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
The census does it right! Hispanic is NOT a race. There are many races within the Latino community, including White, Black, Native Indian, and even Asian. Some segments, like the Cuban community, show very few mixed-race individuals. In fact, Cubans exhibit a race discrimination behavior within their community that is similar to that of the general market.
7th Dec, 2006 - 10:09pm / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not A Race?

Hispanic Not A Race?

I ALWAYS thought that "Hispanic" or "Latin" was a race. I was surprised to find out by chance that is not, is an ethnicity (Just like to say "Cuban?" Am I wrong?).

This is what I found out:

Why doesn't the census include Hispanic as a race?

The census does it right!  Hispanic is NOT a race.  There are many races within the Latino community, including White, Black, Native Indian, and even Asian. Some segments, like the Cuban community, show very few mixed-race individuals. In fact, Cubans exhibit a race discrimination behavior within their community that is similar to that of the general market. Other groups, like Puerto Ricans, are very mixed. Argentineans are mostly White and some Latin American countries, including Mexico, have a strong Native Indian background.

For years, however, the U.S. Census considered Hispanic a race. They have changed that definition since before the 1970 census and in 1977 the Office of Management and Budget issued the "Race and Ethnic Standards for Federal Statistics and Administrative Reporting". They established the U.S. racial classifications to be American Indian, Alaskan Native, Asian or Pacific Islander, Black, and White. They added ethnic classifications of "Hispanic Origin" and "Not of Hispanic Origin". Unfortunately, we continue to see the race question in most market research studies and marketers in this country continue to label Hispanic as a race.
A more recently developed concept about race is ethnicity. This concept, which emerged in the late eighteenth century, is usually conceptualized as membership in a group defined by a shared geographical origin or cultural history, including common language, religion, art, and other cultural factors. Ethnicity is distinguished from race in public health studies. In North America, the most common ethnic group designation is Hispanic, or Latino/Latina.

https://www.answers.com/topic/race-1

Now, I understand why when I check the stats of my country, I came up with this information:

White (mostly Spanish and Italian) 97%, mestizo (mixed white and Amerindian ancestry), Amerindian, or other non-white groups 3%

https://cia.gov/cia//publications/factbook/geos/ar.html

Many times I thought it was a mistake, that they should have put Hispanic but is not a race. I suppose the term is so much internalized in society that people see it as a "race" but is a mistake because within the Hispanic population there are Whites, Blacks, Asians, etc.

I suppose this applies also to Native Americans, too. Interesting reading.

Hispanic Not A Race?
Hispanic Not A Race? (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
7th Dec, 2006 - 10:39pm / Post ID: #

Race Not Hispanic

This is very interesting. It answers a question I have had for a while. I fill out surveys for small perks sometimes. I am always asked my race which I say is Caucasian. After this question I am asked if I am Hispanic. I think, "Why am I asked this question when I have already answered I am Caucasian?" Now I understand why.

From my school days I remember learning there are only three main races, White, Black, and Asian. All others are a mixture of these three. I'm not sure this is right and where do we fit Native Americans, Hispanics, Polynesians, etc?

Each of these broad groups can be divided into subgroups. General agreement is lacking as to the classification of such people as the aborigines of Australia, the Dravidian people of S India, the Polynesians, and the Ainu of N Japan within the traditional three race system. These exceptions highlight the problems associated with attempting to classify humanity into races and also challenge the validity of the notion of race when applied to human beings.

7th Dec, 2006 - 10:59pm / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not A Race? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I'm not sure this is right and where do we fit Native Americans, Hispanics, Polynesians, etc?

I am not sure about Native Americans or Polynesians but for Hispanics we should classified them individually as: White, Black or Asian. (if we are talking about races) If we are talking about heritage or ethnicity, then "Hispanic" or "Latino".

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 7th Dec, 2006 - 11:00pm

Post Date: 22nd Dec, 2006 - 1:00am / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not A Race?
A Friend

Race Not Hispanic

I've never really thought about it before, but the ethnicity reporting for the census is kind of confusing. A friend of mine years ago was a white from South Africa who was in the US on refugee status, and in the process of becoming a citizen. He always put his ethnicity as African American because that's what he was, until he was told to stop reporting himself as such. As for myself, I always check off "other" and write in "cracker." This is on my ACT and DOD forms.

27th Dec, 2006 - 1:18pm / Post ID: #

Race Not Hispanic

I really hope the term Hispanic or Latino change when we are talking about race, I have no problem with the terms when they refer to as ethnicity but to label it as a race is wrong. Why? Look at the following links for pictures, ALL these people are labeled as one race "Hispanic" (even though as we discussed Hispanic is not a race). Within the Hispanic ethnicity there are: whites, blacks, asian and mestizos (Bolivians as an example, are considered "mestizos" for their strong South American Indian tie). The black lady is Celia Cruz from Cuba, the Asian guy is Alberto Fujimori from Peru, the blonde girl is Carola del Bianco, from Argentina and the mestizo woman probably from Bolivia or Northern Argentina.

https://www.biografiasyvidas.com/biografia/c/cruz.htm

https://www.fujimoriextraditable.org.pe/fuj_pin.htm

https://wmp10.elsitiodc.com/scripts/conteni...d_contenido=149

https://www.lrc.salemstate.edu/hispanics/history.htm

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 27th Dec, 2006 - 1:29pm

Post Date: 28th Dec, 2006 - 3:39am / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not A Race?
A Friend

Hispanic Not A Race?

I think the whole point of the census is to find out where you originate from. At first only black, white, asian mattered - but now with the influx of so many people from all over the world and mixed people - the census is trying to keep up. Hispanic may not be a race - but it is where your originate from - thus it is being used. I do not consider myself white, black, asian - I'm mixture of many - so they will have to find a box for me to check off...

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Dec, 2006 - 12:46pm / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not Race

QUOTE (raya @ 27-Dec 06, 11:39 PM)
I think the whole point of the census is to find out where you originate from. At first only black, white, asian mattered - but now with the influx of so many people from all over the world and mixed people - the census is trying to keep up.

Sorry but it doesn't make sense, if as you pointed out, the purpose is to find out where you originated from then it would be divided by countries not by race. Or are all US citizens considered "White" or "Black" or "Asian" or all three? See? It's about finding out race (absolutely nothing wrong with that) I am just pointing out that saying your race is Hispanic is like saying you are a Trinidadian because just like any other country, there are different races within the Hispanic population.

Post Date: 10th Jan, 2007 - 12:23am / Post ID: #

Hispanic Not A Race?
A Friend

Hispanic Not Race Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

What a mess in my head after reading all that. I think I don't know my race anymore(joking)!

The concept of race is (like everything else, Einstein used to say) relative.
What defines my race? My DNA? My cultural heritage? The way I look? My beliefs? Or just what I am now?

Of course there is a clear definition of race in the U.S., and maybe another one (different or not) in Portugal, my homeland.
Witch one should we consider?
Can't a white man consider himself black? I don't like definitions that separate people.

I agree that we should be aware of our origins, and not be ashamed of them.
Absolutely.
I just don't like the concept of race. Makes me think of Men like dogs or something(you know, different races, pedigree and all that).

My race is my kind. Mankind. wink.gif

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Hispanic Not A Race?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,