Dixie Chicks

Dixie Chicks - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 3rd Dec, 2007 - 11:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
12th Feb, 2007 - 11:59am / Post ID: #

Dixie Chicks

Dixie Chicks

How do you rate the Dixie Chicks? I cannot say that I have really listened to them. They have conquererd the 49th Annual Grammy Awards earning five awards.
Official site: www.dixiechicks.com/
Wiki: Source 8t

Dixie Chicks
Dixie Chicks (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
13th Feb, 2007 - 1:13am / Post ID: #

Chicks Dixie

Since I am not really into Country Music, I have only listened to a very little of their music. They seem quite talented.

However, due to their own actions, I choose not to have anything to do with supporting them in any way. They could have voices like angels - I would still choose to avoid them and their music.

I would be happiest concerning them if Natalie Maines were to enjoy the rest of her life among like minded people - outside the borders of the US, which is where she likes to go to complain about her country.

13th Feb, 2007 - 2:21am / Post ID: #

Dixie Chicks Sports & Fashion Music Movies

Ahhh...the freedom of speech is a wonderful thing. It truly is a double edged sword. You can use it, but there may be consequences. I do like the fact that they took their consequences and didn't whine about them like most do. In the article, Bush's comments were right on the mark and while they were probably the only thing he could say, they were the right words.

[T]he Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want to say ... They shouldn't have their feelings hurt just because some people don't want to buy their records when they speak out ... Freedom is a two-way street ... I ... don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about America. It stands in stark contrast to Iraq...

Linda Ronstadt got a very similar result from her use of freedom of speech.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/Hi/entertainment/3908847.stm

Personally, when I go to a concert, I want the performer to perform. I really am not interested in their political views. The potential of a lecture on politics mid-way through a concert is a sure way to guarantee a failure to purchase a ticket from me. I am exercising my right to freedom of speech. I like how the audience of the Ronstadt concert exercised theirs. This however was not a problem with the audience for the Dixie Chicks's concert. They got appause. They just forgot that their audience and customers are quite a bit larger than just what that venue held on that night. For me, this is really disappointing because I like Bruce Springsteen's and U2's music, but cannot stand the politics involved during their concerts, so I don't go anymore.

As for the Dixie Chicks's, their music is very good. The choice of lyrics and delivery almost give them a soulful folky edge. Plus, I really dig a steel guitar if it is used correctly in a song (Bonnie Rait). The bluegrass infusion into their music is great and I actually own "Wide Open Spaces" and "Fly" but through a display of freedom of speech I have relegated those CD's into a drink coaster and a hanging tool used to scare away bird from my plants and have forgotten to purchase any of their new offerings.

Rather off topic, but...
Speaking of celebrities leaving the country, you might be interested in a small list of those that said they were going but forgot to leave:

https://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/leave.htm

They are all still here. I guess they are waiting for 2008.

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 13th Feb, 2007 - 2:23am

13th Feb, 2007 - 2:51am / Post ID: #

Chicks Dixie

I enjoy the Dixie Chicks' music very much. I dislike their politics, and I dislike political grandstanding at concerts, but that doesn't affect whether or not I listen to their music. I don't have a problem separating the music from the mantra. Now, if the music were the mantra, I wouldn't support it.

Post Date: 19th Feb, 2007 - 8:52am / Post ID: #

Dixie Chicks
A Friend

Chicks Dixie

I don't listen to country music, and I wasn't too happy about their comments at the time. But it looks like they have paid their penance to country music fans and they are now heartily accepted back into the fold so to speak. My wife agrees with their right to speak, and her own right to not listen to them again because of her disagreement with those statements.

19th Feb, 2007 - 9:13pm / Post ID: #

Dixie Chicks

My daughter loves The Dixie Chicks, so I hear quite a lot of their music which is good but not one of my favorite genres. I would not listen the their music on my own. Though I tire of celebrities using their status as political leverage, I guess they have the right to do so. If I like the music, I'll listen to it and disregard the politics.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Dec, 2007 - 9:34pm / Post ID: #

Dixie Chicks

More controversy surrounding the group and one of the singers particularly. She is asking donations on her web site to help fund the defense team for three Arkansas men that she (and many others) believe were wrongly convicted of killing three children in 1993.

Maines writes her plea on the Dixie Chicks Web site, which has already been answered by several celebrities including, I am told, Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder, Eddie Vedder, Jack Black and Henry Rollins.

"I'm writing this letter today because I believe that three men have spent the past 13 years in prison for crimes they didn't commit," Maines' message begins.

"On May 5, 1993 in West Memphis, Ark., three 8-year-old boys, Steve Branch, Christopher Byers, and Michael Moore were murdered.

"Three teenage boys, Damien Echols, Jesse Misskelley, and Jason Baldwin were convicted of the murders in 1994. Jason Baldwin and Jesse Misskelley received life sentences without parole, and Damien Echols sits on death row.

"I encourage everyone to see the HBO documentaries, 'Paradise Lost' and 'Paradise Lost 2' for the whole history of the case."

Right now, Maines" main goal is to raise money for the West Memphis 3. To that end, she's directing fans to the Web site www.wm3.org.

Overturning convictions is more common these days, thanks to more sophisticated forensics. There are obviously now dozens of stories about murder convictions that have been overturned thanks to DNA testing.

Plays and projects like "The Exonerated," for example, have shown mistakes made by juries and prosecutors.

On the above-mentioned Web site, the wife of one the convicted men wrote on Oct. 29: "DNA testing has been conducted on dozens of pieces of evidence. The DNA results show no link whatsoever to Damien Echols, Jessie Misskelley or Jason Baldwin - and all of the experts agree that, under the prosecution theory of how the crime was committed, their DNA would be present at the crime scene if they were guilty.

"Instead, the DNA results match Terry Hobbs, the step-father of one of the victims. Our new filing also includes strong evidence from Pam Hobbs (the ex-wife of Terry Hobbs and the mother of one of the victims) implicating her former husband in the murders."

3rd Dec, 2007 - 11:48pm / Post ID: #

Dixie Chicks Movies Music Fashion & Sports

But it looks like they have paid their penance to country music fans and they are now heartily accepted back into the fold so to speak.

I am not sure that country music Fans have accepted them back into the fold. Most of the awards that they have received since their controversial statements have been from other areas then Country music (the Grammies gave them five) and an award from the ACLU (something that is not going to endear many Country Music Fans).

The Dixie Chicks have become Mainstream because of their "Screw You" attitude toward country music fans ( ie Going across the pond to criticize Texas).

In a September 2003 interview, Maguire (lead singer of the Dixie Chicks) told the German magazine Der Spiegel

We don't feel a part of the country scene any longer, it can't be our home anymore.

It is not the Country Scene that left the Dixie Chicks, the Dixie Chicks left the Country scene.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Dixie Chicks

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,