White Foreigners In Trinidad - Page 6 of 9

ItoldU: QUOTE This means that a person who - Page 6 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 23rd Jun, 2012 - 1:38am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 9 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Another what if I want to live in Trinidad Thread...
Post Date: 29th Mar, 2012 - 9:33am / Post ID: #

White Foreigners In Trinidad - Page 6

Name: Rafael

Comments: I am Nicaraguan which makes me Hispanic or Latino, whichever you like. I have white skin and green eyes. Despite this, I feel that I am treated like a white foreigner and people here are suspicious of me even if I don't speak English like a native speaker. Just my two cents.

Sponsored Links:
1st Apr, 2012 - 5:54pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Foreigners White

Rafael:

international QUOTE
I feel that I am treated like a white foreigner and people here are suspicious of me even if I don't speak English like a native speaker. Just my two cents.

They're suspicious of you BECAUSE you don't speak English like a native speaker. And yes, a lot of Trinis see some Latin people and classify them as white foreigners but this is not the case for every Trini, most of the time we are just called "Spanish". It all depends where you live.

Post Date: 16th May, 2012 - 6:26pm / Post ID: #

White Foreigners In Trinidad Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Name: Noah

Comments: After reading this post allow me to say this:

There is a difference between a foreigner living here versus one who is born here. I am a person who happens to be born in Trinidad and Tobago.

For someone who migrates here and wishes to comment they do not have that original root network to comment from because of the fact they were not born here.

YES there is crime BUT not everyone here are criminals and there are GOOD people here. As for the WHITES-people from here do NOT want to be your friend because it has anything to do with the COLONIAL days. Not necessarily. It has something to do with (A) People associate being white here with Elitism (cool.gif People feel that their status here will be elevated in the society because of their association with someone who is white and namely a foreigner.

Yes, there are some who distrust whites because some whites here operate STILL with RACISM and PREJUDICE especially those who occupy the WEST with their houses here. The greatest thing we DON"T want here is for someone from another country regardless as to how many years you have lived here to come here and DISRESPECT the people here. If that is the case then by ALL MEANS please feel free to go back home where you came from.

NO DISRESPECT is to be tolerated from ANY foreigner regardless as to how long you have lived here. The door of deportation will be the best door for you to go through then if that is such the case.

We will respect you as long as you respect us and that is indeed the way to certainly go.

16th May, 2012 - 6:28pm / Post ID: #

Page 6 Trinidad Foreigners White

international QUOTE
There is a difference between a foreigner living here versus one who is born here.

That makes no sense. If you are BORN in Trinidad or Tobago then you are not a foreigner so I don't get the comparison.

6th Jun, 2012 - 1:55am / Post ID: #

Trinidad Foreigners White

Noah, some of the things you are saying makes no sense. One of them was pointed out by Indianchick. Second, what do you mean by disrespect exactly? Criticizing?

And for the whites living in the West, people need to stop being judgmental and leave them alone. They don't bother anyone and they certainly didn't took over the "west", they happen to live there.

Post Date: 13th Jun, 2012 - 11:40pm / Post ID: #

White Foreigners In Trinidad
A Friend

international QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 24-Apr 07, 3:37 PM)
baw999, I am also a foreigner living in Trinidad. The things you read on this site describes exactly the sad situation Trinidad and Tobago is going through.

White people in general (depending on the area you will be living) are seen as  an "oddity" and most people believe you are wealthy just because you are "white". In a country where crime is escalating tremendously, you can well see why is a dangerous thing.

White people in Trinidad are mostly treated "better" than those who are not white, simply because the colonial-type of mentality is very prevalent on the island. Nevertheless, a lot of them are not treated with respect because of grudges certain people feel towards them. So you will get both: You may get great service in a place because you are "white" and terrible in others because you are "white".

Trinis do not have problems with White Americans but you should be very aware of people trying to be your friend because they want something from you (they may want to use you).  Some Trinis are experts on this so try to be wise.

Of course lots of Trinis won't agree with my views or the views of the non-typical Trinidadians, nevertheless this is the opinion of a foreigner living in the island for years.

I personally think (and of course this is entirely your decision) unless you are RICH and can afford those million dollar houses on the West (where mostly wealthy, whites and other minorities live) to stay away from what is really going on here, coming to Trinidad should be SERIOUSLY considered, not only because of your race but because of the crime factor discussed on our many threads here.

I am gong to state that there is a difference between a foreigner and someone who is local 1000%. For the most part the local person was born in the country whereas the foreigner was born outside of the country. In regards to whites let me say this that the local whites here tend to be isolationists who treat people here with suspicion, mistrust, and keep to themselves. It is an undesirable attitude to have. Sometimes it is in fact ethnically motivated at times (Something our dear friend will not want to admit but since I have lived here in the country all my life I know this as a FACT).

Therefore a person who lives here as a foreigner has a one-sided perception versus the actual people who have grown up here actually. However foreign whites are treated "better" if you want to claim that not because of colonialism but because of three reasons

1. The Foreign Media and the people's fascination with what is presented by the media.

2. The perception that white people are somehow elitists and exotics.

3. They are Rare in some local communities or even nonexistent.

You ARE right we will not agree because someone who is migrant to here such as the poster of the above quote is different from someone who has actually grown up here especially those who have grown from the average everyday locals which happens to be myself. This means that a person who was born here and grown up here deserves MORE respect than those who are Migrants since they have known the day to day living aspects of the country from the time they were born. Yes there is Crime but not everywhere. It is very simple-just find a location which has minimal crime or no crime at all and stay there.

Crime is not always related to gangs as well. Some of it is domestically related with families and so one should consider that as well. One thing is NOT tolerated and that is to NOT disrespect the people here. I have seen this happen before where foreign whites come here and even disrespect the people here. Imagine coming from another country to disrespect others in another country.

Such is not acceptable and some will tell you -Don't ever make the mistake to do such.

Live at peace with everyone and be in harmony with all and you will do fine guaranteed. Don't be discouraged by a "foreigner" who does not know it all just because they live here. I doubt they know ALL the local terms for plants and local terminologies that are used with the local dialect here.

Yes whites are "Unusual" here but they are not unwelcome and that's the point. Men are fascinated by the white ladies here and so are some women also with the white men but locals prize RESPECT and that is what "Exactly" our dear foreign migrant should have said all along.

Reconcile Edited: IToldYou on 13th Jun, 2012 - 11:42pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 14th Jun, 2012 - 12:35am / Post ID: #

A Friend

White Foreigners Trinidad - Page 6

international QUOTE (JoePublic @ 8-May 09, 10:12 PM)
Name: Josh

Comments: True, I do not know your personal ancestry but I do know the history of race relations in Trinidad.

You are right: Hispanic is not a race. It refers to culture and ethnicity, BUT modern Hispanics themselves are overwhelmingly of mixed-race heritage. Recent genetic studies show that even Argentines from Buenos Aires are on average 15 to 33% Indian and 5-10% Black, depending on the barrio.

Of course, you don't have to be a genius to see that as very few of Hispanics (except in soap operas) have blond/auburn hair and blue/green eyes. They are also shorter and tend to tan quickly because of the admixture dating back to the Roman Spain. So unless your parents came to Latin America from Germany or Ukraine AND are not Jewish, it's hard for a Hispanic/Latino to claim unmixed white descent.

Also, everything is relative. When Trinidad was under the Spanish rule, racial conduct was very relaxed. A light-skinned mulatto can be considered white. This is still true in any Latin nation where the notion of whiteness is applied very liberally.

After Trinidad passed over to the British, they were trying to avoid any mixing with Blacks and also undermine the Franco-Spanish elite of the island by claiming (and this was of course true based on genetic evidence) that as the nespapers put it in the late XIX century : "the Spanish and French families were touched by Negro blood" and thus lost their privileged status compared with the British who fiercely resisted any interracial admixture. It is exactly because of this process that the Spanish language quickly lost its ground on the island to French and then to English.

The British practice of strict racial purity ultimately stifled Hispanic interracial mobility  and reinforced the two-tier polarized racial system in Trinidad. The Black empowerment movement, in turn, ousted the belligerent white Anglo-Saxon minority out of power.

Hey Josh,

Living here in Trinidad is a lot more than just reading a Book. I actually live in the place. It appears you are indeed an outsider who perhaps has not even set foot in my beloved country.

I want you to listen to me carefully.

1. If you are as you say "Mulatto" we call you a "Red" person.

2. If you are an Indian mixed with African we call you a "Dougla" person.

2. If you are Hispanic and look white-We see you as white. We will never see you as "Hispanic."

This term and designation is mostly American-I bet you have noticed that we are not American. We are uniquely our own individuals and for those who live here proud of who we are.

Living here is more than living in the history books I can assure you of that I find it funny that someone using the history books though is trying to tell us locals about our own country when we who are locals actually live here. biggrin.gif

Reconcile Edited: IToldYou on 14th Jun, 2012 - 12:38am

23rd Jun, 2012 - 1:38am / Post ID: #

White Foreigners Trinidad Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 6

ItoldU:

international QUOTE
This means that a person who was born here and grown up here deserves MORE respect than those who are Migrants since they have known the day to day living aspects of the country from the time they were born.

Really? Is this the kind of attitude and mentality we want to portrait to the foreigners living in the country? I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you and I AM both a local and white.I find your comments about us being "isolationists who treat people here with suspicion, mistrust, and keep to themselves" quite ignorant.

+  « First of 9 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

> TOPIC: White Foreigners In Trinidad

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,