Boy Scouts And Their Mormon Leaders - Page 2 of 7

I wonder if how those two Boy Scouts died - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Jul, 2011 - 5:43am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (7) »

?
Poll: As a LDS Member, do you or would you send your child to the Boy Scouts?
  Yes, I think it is just media hype       46.15%
  Yes, but only if I am there with him       53.85%
  No, not at all       0.00%
Total Votes: 13
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 

Mormon Scouts - LDS Scouts. Gay Mormon Scout Leaders. Controversial Mormon Issue.
Post Date: 25th Aug, 2007 - 12:54pm / Post ID: #

Boy Scouts And Their Mormon Leaders
A Friend

Boy Scouts And Their Mormon Leaders - Page 2

Well, it's kind of silly (the conclusion drawn by the poster of the topic). I mean, just because one LDS troop does something and a non-LDS troop does not, does that mean that all non-LDS troops never violate the Guide to Safe Scouting and YP rules, or that LDS troops always do?

Absurd generalization.

What IS true is that LDS units have an increased incidence of injuries to their scouts. The conclusion reached by the General YM Presidency is that the LDS units fail to follow the Guide to Safe Scouting. Often, LDS units will drop the BSA rules and act as a church unit instead (we're not scouts today, we're just a group of Mormons). Technically, that allows them to skip the BSA rules since they don't apply. Of course, that's foolish since the REASON the BSA rules exist is due to experience with safety/hazards.

And leaving kids at a park after an activity without them getting picked up? Sounds a bit absurd. Scouting requires that there always be 2-deep adult leadership. This is 0 adult leadership.

I've been in scouting for a VERY long time. And I've never seen something like that done in even the most incompetent LDS unit. Not saying it hasn't happened, but, wow.

between, not sure what the poll means. It assumes something in the question, and not sure what it is. But in short, absolutely I put my boys in Scouting. And if the LDS unit did not do the program, I would put them in a non-LDS unit. I'm sold on the program and am extremely proud of it. And I devote a LOT of time to helping it succeed.

(Did I mention that we have 9 Varsity scouts sleeping on our wood floors after an all night X-Box Varsity Scouts tournament?)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 26th Aug, 2007 - 12:08am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Leaders Mormon Their Scouts Boy

I agree that BSA is a very important program for young men, and the church should continue to be involved in it. I have also worked within the BSA and Young Mens programs for many years.

I guess what I was getting at is also summed up by LDS_Forever when she says that many members have blind faith in the leaders of these programs and they are not involved with what their kids are doing. I know in my personal experience I have appreciated the parents that are more involved. It is always nice to have a helping hand.

As for the original post, I also believe it is somewhat absurd. Obviously it could have happened, but it is definitely not what leaders are taught. When I was first involved with the BSA and Young Men I was sent to a leadership training program. The most important thing that I left that program with was a precept that there always be two leaders with the kids.

There have been many times that as a leader I have had to cancel activities because I was the only leader there. I will not be alone with the kids. This is the other half of the thread. Leaders also have to protect themselves from the kids. By this I mean that I don't want there to be a possibility for a kid to say that I was alone with them and I did something to them. When I was growing up I don't think this would have happened, but kids now have the ability to ruin a person simply because they don't like them. If you are involved with the youth you had better make sure to protect yourself just as much as you work to protect them.

1st Nov, 2007 - 6:57pm / Post ID: #

Boy Scouts And Their Mormon Leaders Studies Doctrine Mormon

You're always going to get some bad apple in the bunch. No need to be afraid of a great program like the BSA! I had some of the best memories in the BSA.

Post Date: 17th Nov, 2009 - 4:16pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 2 Leaders Mormon Their Scouts Boy

LDS Church, Boy Scouts named in abuse lawsuit

In the suit filed in San Francisco Superior Court, three brothers claim the church ignored their complaints about being molested by their Silicon Valley Boy Scout and Mormon youth leader in the 1970s and 1980s. San Jose attorney Allen Ruby, representing the LDS Church in Northern California, said he was not aware of a case in which courts have found a church liable for abuse committed by a family member. Ref. Source 4

20th Nov, 2009 - 2:00am / Post ID: #

Leaders Mormon Their Scouts Boy

Another case of abuse? How many do we have to hear? Its so embarrassing for the church and I hope justice prevails.

Post Date: 2nd Aug, 2010 - 5:20pm / Post ID: #

Elder Robert D. Hales urges preparedness to LDS Scouts

FORT A.P. HILL, Va. - Some 3,500 boys and their leaders gathered on a grassy slope here Sunday and were issued a charge familiar to any earnest Boy Scout: Be prepared. Ref. Source 8

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 21st Oct, 2010 - 5:06pm / Post ID: #

Boy Scouts Their Mormon Leaders - Page 2

Mormon Parents Rejected For Scout Leadership Post

The Stokeses enrolled their sons as Scouts at Christ Covenant Church, a Presbyterian congregation about 10 miles from Charlotte, N.C., then expressed interest in volunteering as leaders. Church officials were initially thrilled earlier this month, the Stokeses said, until they saw on the couple's application forms that they belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Ref. Source 2

16th Jul, 2011 - 5:43am / Post ID: #

Boy Scouts Their Mormon Leaders Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

I wonder if how those two Boy Scouts died recently sends an omen through the whole organization? Scouting has such great potential destroyed easily by silly people leading it.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (7) »

> TOPIC: Boy Scouts And Their Mormon Leaders

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,