+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »
Closed
Book RPG Share Book RPG
Post Date: 4th Sep, 2007 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

Temple Of Flame
A Friend

Temple Of Flame

Temple Of Flame

I used to be a huge fan of those old game books where you used the dice to fight monsters, and you could choose you actions step by step. Now I want to remember those good old times, and I want to play with you people!

So I chose this book to start with:

Far below the lost temple of the ancient god Katak, you and your evil foe Damontir the Mad act out a deadly game.  You stalk one another through the silent tunnels where no living thing has trod in centuries, both seeking the priceless gold idol of the flame god.  With skill and daring and a little luck, you can overcome the traps and montrous beings which stand between you and your goal.  But then you must face Damontir in a mighty conflict to decide who will emerge victorious into the light of day and who will remain in the silent darkness forever!

This book is currently out of print for several years, and is now in public domain, so no need to worry about copyright issues. These kind of books can be downloaded for free from several sites. The authors are Dave Morris and Oliver Johnson, illustrations were made by Leo Hartas.

First of all, the rules. Fortunately, this book has very simple rules. Either way, I'm going to put links here so you can read the rules if you feel like it:

RULES

* How to determine initial stats
* How VIGOUR, AGILITY and PSI works

Or See All Rules / Info

Now, I've made some extra suggestions/rules by myself, I think it fits to the way we are going to play it here in the message board.

First, I'll only continue with the story if there is at least 5 votes. I'll do this to make sure there is enough people to play this. There is no point in keep playing if there is only 2 or 3 people. So if you happen to pass by and want to read the rest of the story, please vote even if you know what the outcome of the decision will probably be. Also, try and keep the discussion interesting, justify why you think the character should make that action, and convince other players to take your stand. You don't want the character to die do you?!

Second, this book has some dead ends. Basically, it's possible that we make a bad decision and we die instantly, ending our adventure. Restarting from the beginning of the book can be pretty frustrating, So I'm going to implement an auto save system, similar to video games. Thinking of auto saving each 20th paragraph, but if you have a better idea, please say so.

Ok now I'm going to determine the stats of our hero... If you don't understand what I'm talking about right now, see above on [b]How to determine initial stats.

I roll two dice and we get 4 2. We add 20 and we get 27 points of VIGOUR.
I roll one dice and we get 6. We add 3 so it's 9 points of PSI.
Again, roll a dice, this time we get 3. It's a little low, but guess our character must have a weak point. Adding another 3 it's 6, presenting us our AGILITY score.

So here is our character sheet:

As you probably noticed on the sheet, we need to name our hero! Please choose a proper name, so give us your opinion.

And that is all I think. We can now begin our adventure...

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 4th Sep, 2007 - 1:10am / Post ID: #

Temple Of Flame
A Friend

Flame Temple

There were three of you in the dark, damp chamber - you, Valedor and the man known as Damontir the Mad. The mists of Time disperse and seem to fly away as the scene comes sharply into focus before you again. Around you are the crumbling statues and peeling murals of that forgotten tomb. Your comrades at arms, brave knights of Palados, are stiffening corpses pierced by steel or crushed by stone somewhere in the crypts and tunnels above.

Valedor holds forth his sword and a bright lance of light illuminates a carbuncle on the face of the grotesquely carved sarcophagus. Damontir lurks mysteriously in the shadows. Suddenly there is a click and the lid of the sarcophagus swings up to reveal a bejewelled crown on the brow of the mummified corpse within. But the light from Valedor's enchanted sword has activated an ancient trap, and before you can move towards the treasure, the ground beneath you gives way and you begin to fall.  You reach out and just manage to seize hold of the lip of the dark pit, but Valedor disappears into the depths with a piteous scream. You cry out to Damontir to help you. With a warm feeling of gratitude you sense him standing over you in the darkness. Then the warmth turns to a chill as you see the flash of his teeth in a wicked smile.  His booted foot crunches down on your desperately clutching fingers. You can hold on no longer - you fall back into the void, blackness reaching towards you . . .

You come awake with a start, the pounding of your heart sounding in your ears like a jungle drumbeat. You are soaked in sweat and have to struggle to free yourself from the blanket that clings to your body. From outside comes the twittering of exotic birds and the flash of dawn sunlight off the river as your ship gently wends its way upstream. You have merely dreamt how, many years earlier, the sorcerer Damontir nearly put an end to your life - how, instead of following Valedor into the abyss,  your  fall  was broken by a hidden ledge; how, though badly wounded, you climbed  back to the tomb chamber to find the crown and Damontir gone. Silently, you repeat the vow you have made to yourself every morning since that far-off day: never to rest until you have avenged yourself upon the evil sorcerer.

The green banks of the jungle slide past you on either side. Occasionally a long, black shape launches into the water with a dull splash and drifts idly towards the ship. The sailors mutter that the crocodiles of Anku can bite a man in half.  The crocodiles stare up at you with blinking inscrutability, then drift off like logs in the muddy ochre water. Brightly coloured birds screech and cavort over the treetops. The wind slackens as you pass a bend in the river. Ahead, rising straight out of the shimmering water, stands a thin spire of crystal reaching up almost a hundred metres into the azure sky. You call to the sailors to lower the sail and drop anchor.  Noon approaches - the hour which the ancient texts appoint as propitious for beginning the quest. Your steward reverently fastens the buckles and clasps of your armour - for you are the Dragon Knight of Palados, greatest warrior of the known world. He is barely able to lift your gleaming broadsword, though you take it from him and swing it without effort before sliding it into your scabbard. In the white, staring faces of the sailors you read awe and a little fear. You climb down into the rowboat by the ship's side and, standing at its prow, call for your men to cast off. As the rowers stretch and grunt over their oars, you concentrate on what lies ahead: the temple of the flame god, Katak, lost for eons in the mosquito- ridden depths of the forest, obscured by vines and creepers, surrounded by impenetrable swamp. Only a mouldering libram in the archives of Achtan, capital of great Palados, revealed the hints and clues which enabled you to deduce the temple's location.

A dark shadow obscures the sun. You look up; it is only the first of the branches overhanging the river as your boat approaches the bank. According to the age-stooped librarian in Achtan, one other person had consulted the book from which you gleaned your information. And he had visited the archives just a few weeks before you. The old librarian could not, however, recall the man's face - as though a magic spell had been used to cloud his memory. You ponder this as you step nimbly from the boat. The rowers look around nervously at  the  rustling  treetops  where  brilliantly  hued parrots fly and  monkeys  crash  from  branch  to branch.  ‘Watch this spot,’ you tell them.  'I will signal you from here when my quest is over and I have the golden idol of Katak!' With obvious relief, they push away from the bank and head back to midstream where the ship lies at anchor. You take a last look, then turn and make your way into the waiting jungle . . .

In the depths of the jungle, the thick canopy of foliage filters the sunlight into lush green and golden hues. You struggle onwards, slowly hacking with your knife through the heavy vines and creepers that block your progress. The ground underfoot squelches with mud that soon covers your boots. Mosquitoes and fantastically coloured dragonflies swarm all around in the murky, drenching heat.  Snakes, basking in the midday warmth, hang in loose, lazy coils from the branches and hiss disinterestedly as you pass. A gentle breeze stirs the treetops and the sunbeams dropping through sudden chinks in the leaves are like a cascading shower of liquid gold. A parrot shrieks and flutters through a shaft of sunlight, almost dazzling you with the sudden blaze of scintillating colour as it does so.

Eventually the going gets easier. After a while you decide to take a rest. As you crouch down to sip a little water from your hip-flask, your gaze alights on an extraordinary tableau which is being enacted only a few paces away. A tiny red-faced spider monkey squats on a flat rock, staring with wide eyes at the swaying head of a large viper that is slowly weaving towards him. The monkey is frozen in terror, and is certain to die unless you choose to intervene. If you wish to save him by killing the snake, turn to 11. If you decide to ignore the incident and continue on your way, turn to 18.

Ok now you have to decide what our hero will do now... save the monkey or ignore him?

Reconcile Edited: Blackheart on 4th Sep, 2007 - 1:52am

Temple Of Flame
Temple Of Flame (Hover)

4th Sep, 2007 - 9:33pm / Post ID: #

Temple Of Flame Archive Pathfinder / D&D

The Dice Master says...

I am in, and appreciate not being the only GM here.

Since you started it what about 'Blackheart' as the name?

Okay, so we are after the golden idol of Katak.

I say let's kill the snake, this monkey might be the key to something.

Post Date: 4th Sep, 2007 - 9:41pm / Post ID: #

Temple Of Flame
A Friend

Flame Temple

I'll be in when you are ready to go with a group of people. Sounds like fun, and I appreciate your desire to make this go.

Post Date: 4th Sep, 2007 - 9:56pm / Post ID: #

Temple Of Flame
A Friend

Flame Temple

There is no need to assemble a group of people, the main idea here is to just vote what the next action should be, preferably discuss why you chose it and try to convince other people why that action would be the best option, just for the sake of making things more interesting. When there is at least 5 votes and I happen to pass by this thread (I'll do my best to pass by here at least every 24 hours) I'll go with the action wich has more votes. As simple as that. The combats and all the operations that requires dices I'll do it myself.

So don't be shy and vote away. smile.gif

4th Sep, 2007 - 10:16pm / Post ID: #

Temple Of Flame

The Dice Master says...

I hope you can wade through everything when some join in and start to debate a move or try to be 'different'.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 4th Sep, 2007 - 11:21pm / Post ID: #

Temple Of Flame
A Friend

Temple Flame

Save the monkey. No really. For real. Save it - the monkey. Save it.

5th Sep, 2007 - 1:37am / Post ID: #

Temple Flame D&D / Pathfinder Archive

The Dice Master says...

spock.gif Rather than repeat yourself (possibly to justify 15 words) you could actually ADD to the game by doing what it says in the first Post:

QUOTE (Blackheart)
Also, try and keep the discussion interesting, justify why you think the character should make that action...

And no, do not try to correct it now, wait until the story progresses. I am also saying this for others who may come and miss the part about keeping it interesting instead of merely Posting one or two word answers.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »

> TOPIC: Temple Of Flame

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.