Mormon / Muslim Discussions

Mormon / Muslim Discussions - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Aug, 2004 - 10:44pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
25th May, 2004 - 1:19am / Post ID: #

On a spiritual level do you think we have anything to fear from the spreading of Islam? Will it one day be preached on our door step - possibly by force? I was once in a conference (1992) where Hugh W. Pinnock was in attendance - he said that the Brethren was quite concerned with the growth of the Muslim population - I was taken aback by the statement. Could he have been possibly talking about some future event?

Sponsored Links:
25th May, 2004 - 1:52am / Post ID: #

Discussions Muslim Mormon

On a spiritual level do you think we have anything to fear from the spreading of Islam? Will it one day be preached on our door step - possibly by force?

This is very hard to answer, anything to fear from what?. I don't think it will reach the day that it will be preached by force, but I may be wrong, I haven't read any prophecies or material concerning this.

was once in a conference (1992) where Hugh W. Pinnock was in attendance - he said that the Brethren was quite concerned with the growth of the Muslim population

He could have meant so many things by that statement, maybe the Brethren were concern the fact that our Church would not grow as faster as the Islam, but again we don't know for sure what Bro. Pinnock meant by such statement.

3rd Jun, 2004 - 1:33pm / Post ID: #

Mormon / Muslim Discussions Studies Doctrine Mormon

As you are all probably aware, I try to keep close track on what is happening in the Middle East. I have changed my views on Islam dramatically over the last 10 or so years. Now, I am very concerned about it.

It is NOT a religion of peace. There are plenty of people who adhere to it who are peaceful, and use their religion to preach peace. But there are so many problem areas, including the basic assumptions about human nature, the relationship of humans to diety, and the relationships between humans that are so foreign to all of the West and all other types of belief, that we should all be concerned.

For example, I found a very disturbing article in FrontPage magazine yesterday. It goes into great detail about the dysfunctional family relationships that are common within the Muslim communities, because of the way the religion teaches men to deal with women. The article claims that sexual abuse of children is almost pandemic. That it is absolutely normal for little girls (and boys) to be raped as young as 5 years old, and to use them as the common outlet for sexuality among all the males of the family until they are in their adolescence. I already knew that female circumcision is common among all Muslim cultures, and frequently includes severe mutilation of little girls.

So, Islam is a very dangerous force within the world today.

As far as it relates to the Church, I agree, there doesn't seem to be much prophecy about the Muslim peoples. All the indications I have gotten have been that China and Russia will be the major threats to the US.

But it seems to me that the Arab/Muslim countries will be some of the driving forces for the tribulations to come. For example, Isaiah speaks extensively about an Assyrian King, who most people identify as the Antichrist of Revelation. Iraq contains Assyria.

We do know that Israel will face many horrible challenges. Islam is where all of those challenges are arising at the moment. I, personally, believe that a day will come where the Muslim nations will gather their armies against Israel in a full scale attack, and Israel will wipe them out, possibly with nuclear weapons. Then, with the vast majority of the Muslim men out of the picture, there will be some peace in that region, while Europe and Asia begin to attack Israel for defending itself.

So, once again, I see Islam as being a trigger for many more wars, as well as being a danger of itself.

Just my opinion.

7th Jun, 2004 - 10:45pm / Post ID: #

It is my understanding that there is a passage in the Kuran that says if a muslim converts to another religion, kill them. I saw a show where two former muslims, who are now christians said that in the middle east if a muslim converts to christianity they are buried to their waste in the village square in their burial clothes and then stoned to death for having converted. They felt fortunate that since they were living in the US all their father did was disown the.

So, if this is true, as Islam spreads throughout the world, spreading the gospel becomes a much more difficult task. Many people who might otherwise be interested are not going to even allow the missionaries to speak with them if they know the penalty is death. Perhaps this is why the Brethren in the Church would be concerned about it's growth and spread throughout the world.

7th Jun, 2004 - 11:43pm / Post ID: #

I sincerely believe that the problem with Islam is allowing the zealots to have too much authority. There are peaceful Muslims that will respect everyone around them, but at the same time when they see a fellow Muslim doing things in an aggressive manner they say nothing - which for me is the same as agreeing (re: see Activism board for similar thread). Thus Islam has become dangerous, both in commission and omission by its membership. I feel if there was ever a war that gave Islam laws political power over non-Islamic countries then we wuld have a lot to be scared about, especially freedom to worship.

8th Jun, 2004 - 12:16am / Post ID: #

The strictures about the death sentence for converting from Islam is part of the religion, and part of Sharia law. Anywhere Sharia is in place, any convert will die, if caught. This isn't so much a matter of zealots getting into power, as it is a basic tenet, and commandment from the Qur'an.

I have read many, many stories of people who have converted from Islam to Christianity in places such as Egypt and Iran. They frequently seek any means possible to get out of those countries, but are not often successful. Usually, they are given three days to recant. They will die whether they recant or not, but the death will be easier if they do.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Aug, 2004 - 7:33pm / Post ID: #

Is Islam hostile to Mormons? Maybe, maybe not. But there are indications that we are beginning to show up on the radar screen for some of the more militant groups.

https://www.fairlds.com/pubs/conf/2003PetD.html
This is the transcript of Dan Peterson's talk at a FAIR conference. (Looks like it was from last year, summer of 2003)

Let me tell you about an experience I had a few years ago. I was invited to do a Muslim/Mormon dialogue up at Idaho State in Pocatello. I had done one of these before at BYU, and it had gone quite well. The local Muslim Student's Association had brought in a Muslim preacher, an Imam from Brooklyn; he was a really nice guy. We had a great time talking about areas of difference and commonality and we had a lot of fun. It went very well; it was very pleasant.

So a few months later when I got a call from Salt Lake inviting me to take part in this thing up at Idaho State, I thought sure--and also the invitation came from a General Authority. They had invited Elder Holland to go do it and he said no, and so I was the sacrificial animal who was being sent up for this thing.

The closer it got, the more awkward I felt about this upcoming "dialogue." There were just some things about it that didn't add up, and I began to feel that something was seriously wrong. When I got there I realized that it was. The room was absolutely jammed with Muslim anti-Mormon tracts. I hadn't even known that such a thing existed. I can report to you, by the way, that they weren't very good. They need to take a page from some of our Evangelical critics who can mount much better arguments than the ones they had. Nevertheless, it was a first step and you have to admire them for trying.

I suggest that we all take the time to read through the whole talk. He is one of the leaders at FARMS, one of the leading apologists for Mormonism. Quite a large segment of the talk does focus on Islam, as well as explaining why apologetics is a very important subject.

When you consider the fact that the Gospel cannot be preached yet to almost 3 billion people (1/3 to 1/2 of the people living on the earth), and half of them are Muslim, you must consider that something big is going to happen to open up these societies. (China, India, and the Muslim world)

Knowing that it is a death sentence to preach about Jesus Christ in almost half the world, as well as to convert to Jesus Christ in that same half, is there really any question about the enmity between Mormonism and these ideologies?

13th Aug, 2004 - 10:44pm / Post ID: #

Mormon / Muslim Discussions Mormon Doctrine Studies

I for one believe that it would take Christ's setting his foot on top the Mt. of Olives before they collectively acknowledge him, and then some will still choose not to. There is actually a thread in the RM & News board about the spreading of Islam in Utah. It seems to be growing - I ventured to point out that maybe polygamy appealed to them?

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Mormon / Muslim Discussions

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,