Managing Intelligent Monsters In Role-Playing Games - Page 2 of 3

A sign of some level of intelligence is knowing - Page 2 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 26th Jun, 2016 - 6:33pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

23rd April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Paladin
Paladin
Ranger
Ranger
Warlock
Warlock
Wizard
Wizard
Fighter
Fighter
Draconian
Draconian
Barbarian
Barbarian

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 3rd Jul, 2015 - 6:43pm / Post ID: #

Managing Intelligent Monsters In Role-Playing Games
A Friend

Managing Intelligent Monsters In Role-Playing Games - Page 2

I have never tried it and would never run it unless the players welcomed the idea. But I must stress that there are fundamental differences between my suggestion and Omnusi's experience: in Omnusi's game, the player's reaction was provoked by feeling of being deceived by a player and GM. In my game on the other hand, there is no deception. Either:
A). The players hear a story about how some NPCs were killed by the campaign villain or
B). The players take over the role of those NPCs in their final encounter for a one-shot adventure.

By choosing this second action, the players may lose a session of PC development, but they will gain clearer insight into and appreciation of the strengths (Tactics and intelligence) and weaknesses (Potential flaws) of the campaign villain.
It could only work as part of a long campaign when players' initial obsession with playing and updating their character at every opportunity has waned.
I have only the haziest impression of the rate that PBPs progress but in a tabletop campaign reaching its middle stages, I would play an important NPC for an hour or two if it would offer my PC a good insight into defeating the central villain.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Jul, 2015 - 7:53pm / Post ID: #

Games Role-Playing Monsters Intelligent Managing

international QUOTE (Question)
What is the best way to make intelligent monsters in an Role-playing Game behave as though they are intelligent?

If they have the power (Mind or ability) to be tactical then make sure they are doing that. A basic example. A ninja should not be charging like a samurai, not that would be awkward. He needs to use his tools and stealth to his advantage not the adventurers'.

Post Date: 9th Jul, 2015 - 8:59am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Managing Intelligent Monsters In Role-Playing Games Reviews RPG & Card Board

Even monsters that are not particularly intelligent should come up with clever tactics sometimes. Foxes can, so why not goblins or orcs? Only the truly stupid - zombies and stirges, etc - should attack without thought. In my games, most creatures use clever tactics on a successful intelligence check, but if they fail, they just fight or flee.

9th Jul, 2015 - 4:58pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Games Role-Playing Monsters Intelligent Managing

The irony here is that its not so much about the intelligence of the monster as much as it is about how intelligent the GM is to apply the probable actions of that monster.

24th Jun, 2016 - 4:59pm / Post ID: #

Games Role-Playing Monsters Intelligent Managing

Good point Expert. It can also be the opposite. The Dungeon Master makes the monsters too smart and they tend to outwit the party even though they aren't bright enough to do that but honestly I've never encountered that. *crosses fingers*.

Post Date: 25th Jun, 2016 - 10:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

If monsters share a pack mentality then they would act according to those natural traits.

If you want to show that a monster is intelligent then determine what his level intellect would translate into for a human. What traits, talents, or characteristics would a human of that intellect do or perform.

Intelligence in most Role-playing Games is scaleable and actions that reflect these scales appropriately would be the best way to demonstrate this in a game.

If a monster escapes and is likely t return in the future, have it show up with some new talents, skills, or traits. Show that it at least learned a small something from it's last encounter with the PCs.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Jun, 2016 - 10:55am / Post ID: #

Managing Intelligent Monsters Role-Playing Games - Page 2

A monster escaping and then returning more powerful sounds like a good vengeance game. I've never encountered that before, except maybe in Super Hero Role-playing Game. Most times we tend to finish them off right away and hunt them down.

Post Date: 26th Jun, 2016 - 6:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Managing Intelligent Monsters Role-Playing Games Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 2

A sign of some level of intelligence is knowing when to run. The time away from the PCs to heal, also an intelligent thing to do. Devising a means to attack the PCs, also a sign of intelligence.

How much intelligence would dictate how thotough a plan they have,.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Managing Intelligent Monsters In Role-Playing Games

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,