RPG Etiquette - Page 5 of 5

My main pet peeve is not roleplaying in the - Page 5 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 5 Days Ago

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ?     New: 9 68 212 Why Join Help Register/Login via:Register/Login via:
Welcome Guest

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Discuss  RPG Etiquette
Post Date: 1 Week Ago / Post ID: #

Diamond + Diplomat
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 12,117
Avg: 6.9 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 42,406.13 FP
Charm: 178
It is hard at times to play a game knowing what you know vs knowing what your character knows. Some find it easy others not so much.

Diamond Senior
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 831
Avg: 15.7 Post(s) / Day
[+] Gain: 39,068.68 FP
Charm: 28
Yes, this is one of the most difficult things to do. Would a low level character know what certain creatures are? Maybe not. But a player who played for years would and would know how to fight it even though his character wouldn't.

Premium Editor
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 537
Avg: 0.8 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 22.0%
[+] Gain: 196.50 FP
Charm: 30
With consideration of this, I have many I've seen many people that have argued the summon monster spells or the polymorph spells are too powerful in Dungeons & Dragons but a detail in 1st least a few versions of these spells is actually having a knowledge of that what you want to transform into or summon.

It is with this that I as a Dungeon Master would never allow free access to the Monster Manual, are there character wants to transform into something or someone something that they would not reason would be even know existed or have much to tell about would probably require a couple of additional rolls.

Metagame knowledge of monsters can be especially a problem, since many players have read through the Monster Manuels at least once, so the idea a presenting a challenge that they as players wouldn't know how to overcome and pass onto their characters without the proper rolls or knowledge checks can be a problem.

Premium Editor
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 487
Avg: 6.0 Post(s) / Day
[+] Gain: 2,152.77 FP
Charm: 51
Metagaming defeats the whole purpose of roleplaying to me. Heavily metagaming can easily turn a game into roll playing instead. People are so concerned with their character dying for example. It's part of life. I get attached to my characters but if they fall I move on. I try not to metagame at all. To me it is cheating. I'm not saying I haven't done it before. I just do my best not to.

Diamond + Diplomat
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 12,117
Avg: 6.9 Post(s) / Day
[+] Gain: 42,406.13 FP
Charm: 178
I think everyone likes their characters and they hate to lose a character but yes it does happen in life and you move on. I try not to metagame and if I do I do not mean it too much. I would say most people do it now and then.

Diamond Senior
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 831
Avg: 15.7 Post(s) / Day
[+] Gain: 39,068.68 FP
Charm: 28
I'm with you two. It's definitely like losing a friend but in the end I can roll up a new friend pretty quickly and see where this new friend goes *wink*.

Post Date: 5 Days Ago / Post ID: #

Member Reader
[?] CPosts: 18
Avg: 0.3 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 9.6%
[+] Gain: 64.31 FP
Charm: 2
My main pet peeve is not roleplaying in the story. To illustrate what I mean picture a winter scene with a character has no blanket, no tent and nothing to start a fire but is ready to camp the night and move forward to the morning. Sorry, that won't work… we need to make some frost bite checks!

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Sponsored Links:

If RPG Etiquette is not what you are looking for then you may wish to Start A NEW Topic.
Options Fast Reply Add Reply Add Poll

No Registration Required!

We welcome input from visitors:
Add Comment As A Guest
, please check your Spelling / Grammar before replying.
Thank you for helping us keep International Discussions Constructive.

Enable Smilies  Enable Signature

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: RPG Etiquette

Reader please Share & "LIKE" us:
All "Like" options open on a new page.

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2017
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits

RPG Info

Latest Game Topics

Highlights

RPG Etiquette: Do you think there should be a standard, is there a standard? By LitRPG 4.9 Days Ago
Players Waiting On Players Syndrome: As a Player you can take the initiative in a game, do not be shy. By LitRPG 4.9 Days Ago
Can One Player And A Game Master Carry A Game?: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By LitRPG 4.9 Days Ago
Debate: Play By Post vs Table Top Rpgs: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By LitRPG 4.9 Days Ago
Looking For Committed Game Masters For JB's Boards: If you are a committed Game Master then you might like to share your skills! By JB 22nd Feb, 2017 - 11:45am
Text RPG Character Creator: This custom program is the foundation of how all the RPGs function here. By Hunter 14th Feb, 2017 - 2:09pm
What Kind Of RPG Experience Are You Looking For?: When you come here to role-play what are you expecting from the game? By Kyrroeth 12th Jan, 2017 - 11:38pm
Text RPG Creator Character Switching: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By JB 14th Apr, 2016 - 11:47am
Over Reliance On The Game Master To Have Fun: The Game Master only creates the setting, you decide how to have fun in it! By Krusten 8th Apr, 2016 - 11:41pm
Dependable RPG Players: When you go to war do you want a fellow soldier or flaker on your side? By JB 6th Jan, 2016 - 10:10pm

Updated every: 59 minutes