What Kind Of RPG Experience Are You Looking For?

What Kind Rpg Experience For - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 16th Nov, 2015 - 10:46pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Wizard
Wizard
Barbarian
Barbarian
Fighter
Fighter
Rogue
Rogue
Draconian
Draconian
Ranger
Ranger
Paladin
Paladin
Warlock
Warlock
Cleric
Cleric

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »
  What Kind RPG Experience Looking For
Post Date: 31st Oct, 2015 - 4:28pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I've seen a lot of discussion about different genres in role playing games, but what about other aspects of the game? When you join a game, what kind of experience are you hoping to get from it? Are you looking for social interaction with the other players, the challenge of solving logical puzzles, do you just want to roll lots of dice and kill tons of orcs? Are you looking for cinematic drama, or gritty realism? Do you want to face moral dilemmas, smash open doors and scoop up treasure, fight desperate battles against impossible odds? Or are you looking for something else I haven't thought of? To you, what is the difference between a great role playing session and a mediocre one?

What Kind Of RPG Experience Are You Looking For? (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
1st Nov, 2015 - 1:13pm / Post ID: #

For You Experience RPG Kind What

I like a good story that makes sense and has something more to it than getting the gold. I like it when my character can alter the fantasy's direction rather than just following common steps like kill, get cash, heal wounds repeat.

1st Nov, 2015 - 4:48pm / Post ID: #

What Kind Of RPG Experience Are You Looking For? Reviews RPG & Card Board

Both as a player and a GM I really enjoy a collaborative storytelling effort in role playing games with a fairly open world that includes a non-linear story line that is fairly dependent upon the actions of the players rather than the pre-planned story developed by the game master. I appreciate more gritty realism and the possibility of character death (The subject of character death though can take up a whole other thread so I won't broach the subject here for fear of derailing this thread).

I do enjoy combat in my games but generally I prefer the combat have reason beyond simply slay the monsters and get the gold. I enjoy the process of character development over the life of a game. I favor starting out at low levels (For games that involve the concept of level) or with little experience. I like to have a basic background story for characters but not one that is too detailed in order to allow the character to be developed throughout the story rather than fully developed at the beginning.

For me the enjoyment as a player comes from taking on the role of my character and influencing the story/game. The enjoyment as a GM comes from presenting various obstacles and encounters to the players and seeing how their characters react to them and how/if they overcome those obstacles. I like to see the decisions they make especially when it come to presenting them with things that challenge the beliefs/moral standings of their characters. I am always excited to see a player step into the role of the character and watch them make a decision that the player knows is going to complicate things or could lead to failure for their character, but they do it anyway because that is what their character would do.

Post Date: 1st Nov, 2015 - 6:58pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

What you're describing almost sounds like improvisational theater, and I think that would be an amazing way to approach role playing.

7th Nov, 2015 - 2:17pm / Post ID: #

What am I looking for? Just enough that I want to return back for more. "Enough" Represents a culmination of factors not just one thing in particular.

16th Nov, 2015 - 6:19pm / Post ID: #

international QUOTE (KenGreen @ 31-Oct 15, 9:28 AM)
To you, what is the difference between a great role playing session and a mediocre one?

In the end I think it really comes down to activity and involvement by the players and GM. By that I mean everyone being willing and able to add their own unique flavor and descriptions to the game, and understanding that it is both a game and a role play experience. Focusing too much on one over the other tends to take away from the experience and leads to a more mediocre game in my opinion. If you never roll a dice, its really just acting/storytelling, there is no "Game" Involved really. If all you are doing is roll dice I.e. "I rolled a 20...5 damage" And in response the Dungeon Master "You kill it, the next goblin attacks [roll, roll] he misses" That isn't very much fun either.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 16th Nov, 2015 - 10:28pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

What Kind RPG Experience You For

My most memorable role-playing experience was playing in a double-blind scenario( the players were split into two 2-man teams, each with an identical map, separated by a curtain. The gamemaster recorded the characters positions, and told the players what their characters could see and hear.)
The backstory was that we were two competing teams of mercenaries looking for a crashed satellite in a deserted town, but the bottom line was we were playing hide-and-seek. With guns.
And when I spell it out that way, it might sound kind of stupid, but the hundreds of hours I had spent in various dungeon crawls barely add up to a pale shadow of the hour or so I spent at that gaming table.
One could argue that what I've just described doesn't sound like a roleplaying game at all, but a very small-scale wargame. And one would probably be right. Then again, Role-Playing Games are the direct descendant of miniatures wargaming, so,whatever.
All I know is matching wits with another player whose only real goal was to kill my character was a lot more involving than going up a dungeon full of orcs controlled by an impartial referee.

16th Nov, 2015 - 10:46pm / Post ID: #

What Kind RPG Experience You For Board Card & RPG Reviews

international QUOTE
And one would probably be right. Then again, Role-Playing Games are the direct descendant of miniatures wargaming, so,whatever

True story

international QUOTE
the hundreds of hours I had spent in various dungeon crawls barely add up to a pale shadow of the hour or so I spent at that gaming table.

That sounds like an awesome experience in which the players were heavily invested in the game. Maybe what you described was a little closer to a mini-wargame than an Role-playing Game per se, but who cares it sounds like you had a really good time which is the point in the end.

Role-Playing Games are different and different systems and settings may fall on a spectrum of wargame vs. Pure narrative, or rules light/free vs. Extreme crunch. Different systems cater to different styles, but it sounds like that game was pretty spot on for you!

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »

> TOPIC: What Kind Of RPG Experience Are You Looking For?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,