Would You Play A Villain? - Page 2 of 6

QUOTE (Diarmadhim @ 24-Nov 15, 10:32 - Page 2 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 9th Dec, 2015 - 4:05pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Wizard
Wizard
Barbarian
Barbarian
Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue
Warlock
Warlock
Paladin
Paladin
Draconian
Draconian
Fighter
Fighter

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
  Would Play Villain
Post Date: 24th Nov, 2015 - 10:32am / Post ID: #

Would You Play A Villain?
A Friend

Would You Play A Villain? - Page 2

I have a friend that's an amazing Dungeon Master. While he creates the world and fills it with NPCs, it is definitely a sandbox. We are allowed to do anything we want and he implements consequences and repercussions for our actions.

He has been running the game world for something like 20 years and it's gone from a tech level of the middle ages, to a Science Fiction near gundam level, and then was reset due to a player's actions back to the pre-stone age era. His main plot has always advanced throughout it all and it's extremely enjoyable to play in the world because he has taken the time to build such a rich history.

I don't think the game system actually matters when it comes to allowing and/or encouraging "players to invent crazy, stupid, convoluted plans to dominate the world." That all rests on the shoulders of the Dungeon Master. Some can do it naturally while others require some practice. The key though, I believe, is the willingness to give up some control for your world. That can prove to be extremely hard for some people to do.

Sponsored Links:
24th Nov, 2015 - 11:25am / Post ID: #

Villain Play Would

I do not like evil characters that target the party. While an occasional pick pocket or running from danger rather than helping might be slightly tolerated the outright attack is no good. I'll tell you why, if I am going to sit down and enjoy a game I don't want to have to worry about monsters attacking and player characters too! Its likely that such a character would have an aura about them so my character would not be in the same party with them.

Post Date: 24th Nov, 2015 - 11:35am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Would You Play A Villain? Reviews RPG & Card Board

Oh, yeah. Treachery within the party would be intolerable. Then again, in the Marvel universe, the heroes seem to spend almost half their time beating the crap out of each other until the villain shows up. Maybe that's how they keep in practice.

And I could see a game with evil characters quickly degenerating into a "Look how horrible I can be" Contest, in which the players commit atrocities in order to top each other.

Reconcile Edited: KenGreen on 24th Nov, 2015 - 11:35am

25th Nov, 2015 - 1:07am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Villain Play Would

I think Lex Luthor is a good example of a character that thinks he needs to right the wrongs of the universe and in the process he makes it worst than before. A villain could also be a Robin Hood type where one group sees you as the hero and the others see you as a villain. In that role you take on an alignment like chaotic good.

Post Date: 25th Nov, 2015 - 10:54am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Villain Play Would

Yeah, I never really understood Lex Luthor. It didn't so much seem like he was defending humanity. He just really seemed to be offended by the existence of Superman. He's like a 'human supremacist', or something.

25th Nov, 2015 - 3:21pm / Post ID: #

Villains in stories tend to have complex justifications for their actions. The upright characters tend use a simplistic thinking that makes what they do routine or easy to follow.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 25th Nov, 2015 - 11:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Would Play Villain - Page 2

I've heard that some actors prefer to play bad guys for just that reason. That, and the fact that playing a messianic madman is probably all kinds of fun.

9th Dec, 2015 - 4:05pm / Post ID: #

Would Play Villain Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 2

international QUOTE (Diarmadhim @ 24-Nov 15, 10:32 AM)
I have a friend that's an amazing Dungeon Master. While he creates the world and fills it with NPCs, it is definitely a sandbox. We are allowed to do anything we want and he implements consequences and repercussions for our actions.

In response to Diar's post, I was actually the player that decimated the world, but in my defense, I was a 5 year old naive kid. But yes, the GM we have allows you to really do anything, like in one campaign one of the players created infantile humans, drained there willpower from them, and then drained them of blood. I'm not really for or against treacherous play, as long as it is tastefully done.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Would You Play A Villain?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,