Don't Break A New Player's Enthusiasm - Page 2 of 5

So, prologues. As a GM, I lurve prologues. - Page 2 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 6th Feb, 2016 - 4:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Cleric
Cleric
Warlock
Warlock
Wizard
Wizard
Draconian
Draconian
Ranger
Ranger
Barbarian
Barbarian
Paladin
Paladin
Rogue
Rogue
Fighter
Fighter

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Closed
Discuss  Don' t Break New Player' s Enthusiasm
6th Jan, 2016 - 11:09pm / Post ID: #

Don't Break A New Player's Enthusiasm - Page 2

I know what you mean but I'm talking as a player since I don't run any games here. See, i've been a member for a long time but only just joined a game after sitting low for some years. Thing is I made the effort and still do it on my own to play no one is cheer leading me from the sidelines. From what I've seen some people need that in order to play. I'm not saying that's you but that's how some people are you know what I mean?

Sponsored Links:
6th Jan, 2016 - 11:25pm / Post ID: #

Enthusiasm Players New Break Dont

So?

We, as gamers, should encourage new players. This is a hobby that's pretty niche and can be challenging to get into. We should be encouraging and celebrating of newcomers. That's the only way the hobby will grow.

Too often, gamers embrace sort of an exclusive mentality, where we feel people have to pay there dues, like we did back in the day. That's a self defeating stance that drives people away.

7th Jan, 2016 - 12:25am / Post ID: #

Don't Break A New Player's Enthusiasm Reviews RPG & Card Board

I think there is a difference between encouraging and babying them. First time here? Sure we show you the ropes and stuff but now you're in the game and that should be encouragement enough cause then you need to do your part and pull your weight. We all have real life issues and when we get on here might be just to post once and run because boss is [calling], exam is pending or baby is crying!

4th Feb, 2016 - 11:07pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Enthusiasm Players New Break Dont

Running Secondary Adventures

Some Game Masters may wonder how to get a new Character to be part of a party that is far away from a starting location. This is where thinking out of the box will have to come into play because as the title of this Thread says, "Don't break a new player's enthusiasm" by making them wait for 'just the right moment'. That may wok in a live session around a table but in Play by Post you have to improvise by making it a fast process because Play By Post is already a slower than usual art form..

In order to incorporate new Players into an existing game with some relative logic and speed you can do any of the following to bring them into the main game in quick time: "Character" refers to the New Player's Character.

1. The Character was kidnapped or robbed and the main party finds them. The original equipment is found some place not too far away.

2. The Character was also sent on the same mission but from a different person with alternative interests.

3. The Character was paid to follow the original party to ensure the boss' assets

4. The Character comes out of a nearby village or place the party is visiting rather than the original location that the party came from.

5. Ahead of time you can always make sure to have places in your story where new Players can come in. For instance if the new Player is a hunter you could say the Character was hunting when the party approached.

6th Feb, 2016 - 5:58am / Post ID: #

Enthusiasm Players New Break Dont

Adding to above a possible reason for a new comer is them walking in the opposite direction and you meet them.

6th Feb, 2016 - 11:34am / Post ID: #

Don't Break A New Player's Enthusiasm

That is similar to item #5 but still a good idea. It really does not matter how a Game Master brings in a new Player the point is that it should be done in a timely manner and not a long drawn out process.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Feb, 2016 - 1:13pm / Post ID: #

Don't Break New Player's Enthusiasm - Page 2

What kind of timeline are we talking about to get a player into a game once their character is approved?

6th Feb, 2016 - 4:35pm / Post ID: #

Don't Break New Player's Enthusiasm Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 2

So, prologues. As a GM, I lurve prologues. Should they be run in separate threads to keep the flow of the narrative complete and accessible, or woven into the main game thread? I'd prefer separate threads, personally.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Don't Break A New Player's Enthusiasm

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,