Maps & Mapping For Role-Playing Games

Maps Mapping Role-playing Games - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 13th Aug, 2015 - 10:39pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Fighter
Fighter
Cleric
Cleric
Warlock
Warlock
Draconian
Draconian
Wizard
Wizard
Ranger
Ranger
Barbarian
Barbarian
Paladin
Paladin
Rogue
Rogue

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Closed
Resources available for helping DMs / Game Master
16th Dec, 2012 - 10:31pm / Post ID: #

This Post used to be part of the How To Be A Game Master / Dungeon Master Thread but brought it here to be its own Topic.

Designated Role-playing Game Threads Have Its Own Map Section

The Map section is activated by the Dungeon Master / GM for their own Role-playing Game, but a more detailed explanation can be read here.

Creating Fancy vs Sketch

There are many commercial map makers for Role-playing Games but they can be pricey for a Dungeon Master / GM that does not want to invest in it to make a map. I am hoping to come up with a good solution for all Dungeon Masters / Game Master's in the Community for FREE. Using a regular graph map and then scanning it or taking a picture of it may be an option for some especially with the new Upload feature here that automatically resizes it.

Sketch Your Player's Position

I created the rough layout below using the Online Sketch (Also in this Thread). It took me about two minutes. This program allows you to create any kind of drawing as well as label it with text and then save it to your computer. GM's with Gmaster status can then Upload this to their game to illustrate the position of Players or what a dungeon might look like.

Directions - How To Sketch: (Flash Plugin Required)

1. Select the grey pencil icon and it will be highlighted.
2. Select a color and then begin drawing in the white area
3. You can save your drawing by clicking on the folder icon

In the below example I could say the dragon is going to breathe fire on Jane who is 40 feet away. The other Players can then see where they are in relation to Jane and the dragon. This would be difficult to describe otherwise.

Maps & Mapping For Role-Playing Games (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
16th Dec, 2012 - 10:40pm / Post ID: #

Games Role-Playing Mapping and Maps

Sketch Your Player's Position - Just A Little More

For illustrative purposes you can see where I tried to show the kinds of weapons being used as well as the distance the characters are in relation to the dragon. Its really up to you how you want to use it for your Role-playing Game .

Other Options

The above Online Sketch may be too simplistic for what you are looking for so please try these:

* Open Role-playing Game Maker which is a FREE mapping software you can download and use to create more detailed maps. The downside is the graphics look 16 bit.
* Dungeon Maker - This is a FREE environment maker with many options, the graphics are very good as well.
* Tiamat Map Maker - Although, to save a Map you have to buy credits you can essentially build the map for free. The benefit is an extensive range of graphics.
* Donjon Role-playing Game Tools - Free but its random
* Free Version | Hexographer - You have to download and install
* Dungeon maps for Role-playing Game. Create maps online, download as PDF and PNG.

3rd Aug, 2015 - 8:17pm / Post ID: #

Maps & Mapping For Role-Playing Games Reviews RPG & Card Board

Dungeon Maker Sample

Below is an example of what you can use Dungeon Maker (FREE) to create. This tavern took me around five minutes to put together. The grid style is the default and helps Players estimate distance and position.

Post Date: 4th Aug, 2015 - 2:32am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Looks good Jay. I will see about using this as this can be helpful to me. Thanks.

8th Aug, 2015 - 3:00pm / Post ID: #

The Dungeon Maker one is better than the rest. The only thing I see happening is the whole dungeon will need to be made first and then saved. Then the Dungeon Master will have to crop out the part where the adventurers are so they don't see the whole image.

9th Aug, 2015 - 6:13pm / Post ID: #

A Possibility...

I'm thinking of creating a page specifically for the current map of an adventure. In other words, the GM of a Thread will have a page to show his main map(S). These can then be changed as he sees fit. This will work well if a GM does not have GM Status.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Aug, 2015 - 2:41pm / Post ID: #

Maps & Mapping Role-Playing Games

That will be cool and will make it easier for players to track maps too rather than having to go back to posts to find a map that might be referenced.

Post Date: 13th Aug, 2015 - 10:39pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Maps & Mapping Role-Playing Games Board Card & RPG Reviews

Yeah that does sound nice. Will make it easier to keep up with the maps for the characters.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Maps & Mapping For Role-Playing Games

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,