Trinidad Corporal Punishment In Schools

Trinidad Corporal Punishment Schools - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 4th Sep, 2008 - 5:33am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Reintroduction Of Corporal Punishment - Students being punished with beatings by teachers
24th Jun, 2008 - 11:56am / Post ID: #

There was a survey among teachers as well as general population and MOST of them agree that Corporal Punishment should be re-introduced as means to stop violence in schools. Does that make any sense to you? rolleyes.gif This letter reflects exactly how I feel about the subject particularly the last part.

international QUOTE
It is with a feeling of despair that I read of the many requests by the nation's teachers for the reinstatement of corporal punishment in our primary and secondary educational facilities this past weekend.

Even the general public seems to agree as a recent poll showed that four out of every five persons questioned agree that corporal punishment should be reintroduced in schools. What is even more surprising is that the people who advocate the use of corporal punishment suggest that this is the means by which we will reduce violence currently present in our schools. How is it that we can think that violence will curb violence?

The high levels of indiscipline in our nation's schools will not be eradicated by the addition of another form of violence, especially when it is directed towards children by the very persons who should be safeguarding their right to be free from all forms of physical or mental violence and the full enjoyment of their right to education.

This call for corporal punishment also serves to erode the confidence that we as citizens are trying to have in the education system. If our educators, persons who should be on the cutting edge of information and knowledge, cannot come up with a more innovative way of dealing with indiscipline other than the striking of a child, how then can we trust them to plan and deliver a lesson in the best fashion possible? If teachers want to take the easiest route with respect to discipline, will they also be taking short-cuts with respect to other aspects of our children's education?

Instead of debating whether we should give teachers the right to hit our children, we should be seeking to discover meaningful and lasting ways to deal with the fact that many children are not growing up in ideal situations that would provide a foundation for them to be disciplined individuals at school. We should be wondering how to provide adequate mentorship for many of our nation's youth, especially males, who don't have the luxury of a responsible father in the home.

What about the provision of effective after-school programmes that seek to develop proper social etiquette among young people - programmes that will keep them off the street, out of gangs and out of the hands of those wishing to exploit and harm them?

This discussion as to whether we should be adding to violence in our schools through corporal punishment is the last thing our children need from us. However, the fact that it is now on the table is, more than anything else, a real sign of the times that we are living in. Maybe those calling for corporal punishment are persons who themselves are incapable of doing the right thing unless someone is standing over them with a whip.

Nicole John-Thomas

St Augustine

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 24th Jun, 2008 - 3:49pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Schools Punishment Corporal Trinidad

Having grown up in a teachers family I can see why some parents would advocate such a thing. Most that were for beating their kids at school also beat them at home.

Corporal punishment at school is not the answer to kids who do not know how to behave. There are other time tested methods that can and should be used to help educate a child in what is proper behavior while they are in school. Having some other programs to help them socially out of school is a good idea too. It sounds like there is a lot of kids that need help. Help them get the help they need. DO not resort to beating them as they cry for help.

4th Sep, 2008 - 4:09am / Post ID: #

Trinidad Corporal Punishment In Schools Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Here I am, absolutely disgusted, angry and disappointed at the state of affairs of this country. This is the SECOND time I try to send my special needs son to a school to have to pull him out on HIS FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL because teachers beat up students.

We tried another "special education school" in the past to find out teachers were beating children with wooden sticks and pads (no, I am not kidding) My son was not hurt physically but I was terrified of what could happen to him.

Then I found this new school he started TODAY. He came home very frustrated because he said the teacher is angry all the time when he does not understand something and told him to "stop saying you don't understand!" What is my son supposed to do if he is a slow learner and autistic? *sigh* Most of these teachers are not qualified and they're payed little hence the attitude.

He also told me how this teacher slapped a child across his face for not listening to her instructions. I am speaking not only about kids, but kids with special needs!

He was afraid but his NEED for social interaction is so HUGE that he does not care at all! He wants to go back no matter what. He says he "will be careful". It is breaking my heart to PIECES! Did I mention it is a PRIVATE school? (NO free!)

This is a Banana Republic (literally) The "spear the rod spoil the child" mentality have this country at the highest rate of crime and abuse the country have ever seen.

Doctors keep telling us he needs to go to school but how any RESPONSIBLE Parent would think to send their kid to schools like this? Tell me, who?

It's a cultural thing I just cannot accept or put my kid through.

My husband and I work from home so is hard as well to have him all day since nothing can be done during the day because of his constant need for attention and demands and we need to make money to pay the bills!

When I was a teacher, MOST parents who came to talk with me told me I should go ahead and give their kids licks (secondary school children!). So how to fight back in a country where most people AGREE, ACCEPT and ENCOURAGE this type of behavior?

4th Sep, 2008 - 4:43am / Post ID: #

That just breaks my heart. I know how excited and happy you all were to find a good school so close to home. Are there any more options or was this it?

Anyone who teaches in a special needs school should have the appropriate training to deal with special needs. I would think that is a given, apparently not. Children cannot learn in an environment of fear and intimidation. They will learn and retain more in a loving atmosphere of patience and understanding.

I agree with the letter that the theory of meeting violence with violence will only bring more violence. How can one teach a child it is inappropriate to strike another person by striking them? How can intimidation be a good thing? It breaks their spirit and prevents them from reaching their potential.

If only Trinidad and Alaska were not so far apart. We have some good programs in the schools here for special needs. And I would love to come take Felipe out for a day now and then to give you & JB some respite and him a change of pace.

A friend in our church has an autistic son. I loved it when for a couple of years I had the calling of being his aide in primary. I was there to help him fit in whatever else was needed. It was a very good experience and I still love that boy! He is now almost 13 and in scouting. Fortunately one of the scout leaders has taken him under the wing and is continuing to help Ethan flourish. What a different experience it would have been for Ethan had he been met with harsh words and impatient teachers who expected him to "stop saying you don't understand."

I think I would have a sit down with the school principal or head master and discuss appropriate teaching behavior for special needs children. How would that go over in Trinidad?

4th Sep, 2008 - 4:52am / Post ID: #

Alskann:

Are there any more options or was this it?

No more options, you see as I explained in my post MOST schools are like that. The teachers smile to the parents, promise them this or that and behind closed doors is a different story. I have seen it. So I am fighting against a HUGE system who believes in this form of discipline at schools.

I think I would have a sit down with the school principal or head master and discuss appropriate teaching behavior for special needs children. How would that go over in Trinidad?

It would go over one ear and exist towards the other. Principals DO NOT PAY the kind of money they need to pay for the teachers to do the kind of job neither they provide the necessary training so basically, they don't care.

A "reputable" (if you want to call it that way) special needs school in the Port of Spain area (capital) survives by this Principal charging HUGE amounts of money to the parents, paying very little to their teachers (who do not even have a degree neither training in special education) and she goes to Africa EVERY SUMMER as a vacation.

Talking is not going to solve anything, it's a mentality I am dealing with.

4th Sep, 2008 - 5:20am / Post ID: #

Honestly, I do not understand how any teacher who chose that profession can believe that slapping or beating a child - particularly a child with special needs! - is any way to teach them. Most teachers I know are compassionate, kind, and intelligent, and have no desire to mistreat their students in the way you describe.

I know how important it is for Felipe to feel like he's accepted by other kids. I know how important it is for you and JB to find a suitable venue for that to happen for him. My heart goes out to you, LDS_Forever.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Sep, 2008 - 5:28am / Post ID: #

Trinidad Corporal Punishment Schools

Are there any of the other parents who feel as you do or are they all just accepting of the status quo? Perhaps if enough of the parents stood up for what is right maybe something could change? Never give up hope where your children are concerned. They are our hope. smile.gif

4th Sep, 2008 - 5:33am / Post ID: #

Trinidad Corporal Punishment Schools Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

Alskann:

Are there any of the other parents who feel as you do or are they all just accepting of the status quo?

MOST parents ask the teachers to physically punish their own kids. As a matter of fact, recently there was a survey done and MOST people agreed that they should reintroduce the "method" back in schools.

I don't give up on my kids and never will neither lose hope, they're my ALL but I do give up in this country and lost all hope long ago.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Trinidad Corporal Punishment In Schools

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,