Why Are Atoms Always Moving? - Page 2 of 6

Spinning electrons yield positrons for research - Page 2 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 2nd Jun, 2016 - 10:48am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Best of  Why Atoms Always Moving What makes atoms move?
25th Apr, 2016 - 2:20pm / Post ID: #

Why Are Atoms Always Moving? - Page 2

Well there are limits to how small something can be. We have a pretty good idea that atoms can be divided up into protons, neutron, and electrons (Only). These divisions can be further divided into quarks, with usually 3 quarks per piece. There are other mixtures of quarks that give rise to exotic matter, but we don't experience these much day-to-day and it is usually very short lived. Now there is currently a thought that the smallest subdivision of space-time are the Planck units. This arises from Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which limits how precisely any two correlated physical properties of particles can be measured. The unit of Planck time is 5x10-44 seconds and Planck length is 1.6x10-35 meters. These are close to the limit of what is physically possible to measure. This means there can't be subdivisions further than this (As we currently understand physics, at least).

Reconcile Edited: Alchyrogue on 25th Apr, 2016 - 2:23pm

Sponsored Links:
25th Apr, 2016 - 6:38pm / Post ID: #

Moving Atoms Why

Alchyrogue, thank you for clearing that up. Its amazing to me that elements are formed just because of the number, spacing and temperature around a cluster of atoms. What is even more mind boggling is what dictates that it is so, the laws of universe that govern this kind of thing is this way "Just because". Maybe its man's need to have an explanation for everything.

Post Date: 16th May, 2016 - 10:41am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Why Are Atoms Always Moving? UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Physicists measure van der Waals forces of individual atoms for the first time

Physicists have succeeded in measuring the very weak van der Waals forces between individual atoms for the first time. To do this, they fixed individual noble gas atoms within a molecular network and determined the interactions with a single xenon atom that they had positioned at the tip of an atomic force microscope, as the international team of researchers reports. Ref. Source 8y.

Post Date: 24th May, 2016 - 11:38am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Moving Atoms Why

Traveling wave drives magnetic particles

As our technology downsizes, scientists often operate in microscopic-scale jungles, where modern-day explorers develop new methods for transporting microscopic objects of different sizes across non uniform environments, without losing them. Now scientists have developed a new method for selectively controlling the aggregation or disaggregation of magnetically interacting particles of two distinct sizes in suspension in a liquid. Ref. Source 9l.

24th May, 2016 - 1:57pm / Post ID: #

Moving Atoms Why

I don't quite think that manipulating 'microscopic' objects, quite qualifies as atoms. There is a 1000-10000 times size difference. Manipulating single atoms is still very hard, but this is progress along with way I suppose. I know individual atoms of very large (High atomic weight) atoms is possible, but for actually relevant elements is still so difficult as to be unobtainable.

I am not trying to discount this work by any means. It is quite impressive. I have worked with Dysprosium and Holmium (The elements with highest magnetic saturation) and separating particles based on size is no easy task. I am just commenting that this thread is more about atoms moving than 'microscopic' particles.

25th May, 2016 - 12:36am / Post ID: #

Why Are Atoms Always Moving?

This might be kind of crazy but can sub particles or a group of atoms somehow be programmable so they can change structure and then change from one element to another?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th May, 2016 - 4:55pm / Post ID: #

Why Atoms Moving - Page 2

Well it is two different questions. Subatomic particles cannot be 'programed' to change under certain conditions. They do react to their environment and can 'change' to some extent (The exact combination of quarks decides what kind of subatomic particle something is). Transmuting an electron to a proton or neutron (Or any 1 of these into another) is beyond our capabilities right now and as far as I know is not a known phenomenon (Except maybe in really crazy environments like middle of a star or black hole).

Now programmable matter is a thing. This does not mean it changes from one type of element to another (That is alchemy and can only be done in fission or fusion reactions), but rather that it changes shape or magnetism or some other aggregate property. By aggregate I mean a property that arises from the combination of many atoms, not from the atoms themselves. Right now scientist are working on how to make devices that operate at the nanometer scale (Which means only 10s to 100s of atoms are involved). This is very difficult and cutting edge, but has been demonstrated as possible. So a 'car' has been shrunk down to nanosize, where something like a buckyball acts as the wheels and are attached to axles of carbon nanotubes. They are driven by electrostatic forces, but the structure has to constantly change in order to move the 'car' forward.

Post Date: 2nd Jun, 2016 - 10:48am / Post ID: #

Why Atoms Moving Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 2

Spinning electrons yield positrons for research

A team of researchers has successfully demonstrated a new method for producing a beam of polarized positrons, a method that could enable a wide range of applications and research, such as improved product manufacturing and polarized positron beams to power breakthrough scientific research. Ref. Source 9i.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Why Are Atoms Always Moving?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,