Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support - Page 65 of 88

Okay, we seem to have stalled in the main - Page 65 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 2nd Mar, 2017 - 3:02am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Barbarian
Barbarian
Ranger
Ranger
Rogue
Rogue
Draconian
Draconian
Paladin
Paladin
Fighter
Fighter
Warlock
Warlock
Wizard
Wizard
Cleric
Cleric

+  « First of 88 pgs.  61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69  ...Latest (88) »
Create Dungeons Dragons Help Only those interested in this RPG Dungeons and Dragons
Create / Edit Character Dice Dice Maps RPG Etiquette RPG Etiquette SRD GM Stats
Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support Related Information to Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support
26th Feb, 2017 - 5:30pm / Post ID: #
Carrick Granitebranch
Ranger 3
Character
Lieutenant / Scout
Character Sheet ◀
Not Not Active

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support - Page 65

The Scout of the Deep Wilds says...

So, seeing as the hesitation seems to be not knowing or trying to anticipate how the illiosani work tactically speaking, could Carrick have garnered anything that would be helpful during his time in the Wilds. The main point for his time out there was primarily thematic for his Hunter's Conclave level up, but he did mention he was trying to learn more about them. Could Carrick make some type of check?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 28th Feb, 2017 - 9:30am / Post ID: #

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support
A Friend

Support and Questions e Dragons and Dungeons Aericsteeles

Aeric, I just activated the second gen for Zinna. It gave her a plus one to a skill or feat. She took a plus one to persuade.

28th Feb, 2017 - 6:40pm / Post ID: #
Dungeon Master
Deity
Character
Game Master Lock
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support Archive Pathfinder / D&D

The Maker says...

I will roll an investigation check for Carrick to determine a general idea of how much and what kind of information he is able to glean about the Illiosani, and this is a good time to bring up an adjustment that I am making on when rolls are made and who does the roll. Combat rolls are going to remain the same, they will be made by the player, because they are generally hit or miss and pretty cut and dry.

More social rolls like persuasion or deceit along with knowledge and investigation rolls will be made by the Dungeon Master using the characters stats. This is to keep player knowledge and character knowledge separate. Though metagaming has not been an issue with this group, I have never liked the idea that a player knows how successful the character was at something like deceit or knowledge checks. A critical failure on a knowledge check could potentially provide the character with completely inaccurate information but if the player knows that this information comes from a critical failure they are likely to try and mitigate that failure and its human nature to not utilize that information in the same way as they would if they knew that they rolled a critical success.

This may be a topic for the review boards as I think it would be interesting to see how others approach this. I am aware that there are, or have been, some groups where the Dungeon Master basically rolls for everyone. The player's only responsibility is to declare the actions of their characters. Personally, as a player I like to roll dice so I don't want to take that away completely, but I can see some instances in which it would make more sense for the Dungeon Master to make the roll without the player being aware of the results.

Does anyone have a major disagreement with this? If so I am open to debate on it.

Post Date: 28th Feb, 2017 - 7:10pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 65 Support and Questions e Dragons and Dungeons Aericsteeles

I think that is a totally fair way to do it. When I GM at a table I generally allow players to roll everything, EXCEPT Perception checks. I do that.

28th Feb, 2017 - 7:16pm / Post ID: #
Dungeon Master
Deity
Character
Game Master Lock
Base Has a Home Base

Support and Questions Dragons and Dungeons Aericsteeles

The Maker says...

I have posted a topic regarding who should roll the dice, the Player of Dungeon Master, feel free to add your thoughts to this here: Source 5h.

1st Mar, 2017 - 5:31pm / Post ID: #
Dungeon Master
Deity
Character
Game Master Lock
Base Has a Home Base

The Maker says...

After some consideration I've decided that Carrick should roll the investigation check. There may be rare situations in which the Dungeon Master will need to make rolls for the character but this is not one of them because even if Carrick rolls a 1 this does not have to translate into false information, it could add a significant complication to the situation instead. The degree of complication added could be determined by the degree of failure on the roll just as the degree of information collected could be based on the level of success on the roll.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 1st Mar, 2017 - 7:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support - Page 65

That all sounds good to me. Carrick can do the rolls and we can relax and see what happens. Then if he fails we stage a coupe and remove him biggrin.gif.

Post Date: 2nd Mar, 2017 - 3:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 65

Okay, we seem to have stalled in the main thread. Is there something in particular holding things up?

EDIT: notice that I have activated the second gem for this game. +1 to a feat or skill. Since I presume you won't let me slap a +1 onto anything I got with Polearm master tongue.gif added it to Perception checks.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 2nd Mar, 2017 - 11:09pm

> TOPIC: Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.