Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 29 of 58

Sorry Daishain, I've been pondering - Page 29 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 14th Apr, 2017 - 8:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

25th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Fighter
Fighter
Warlock
Warlock
Cleric
Cleric
Paladin
Paladin
Draconian
Draconian
Barbarian
Barbarian
Rogue
Rogue
Wizard
Wizard

+  « First of 58 pgs.  25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  ...Latest (58) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 29th Jan, 2017 - 6:03am / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 29

Ok, just reviewed the updated CS, just one more item of note for now. No guarantees I didn't overlook something though tongue.gif

You can have and use that shield if you really want. But you're not proficient with it. By 5E rules, that not only means disadvantage on most D20 rolls, but you can't cast spells at all while wielding the thing. I think that's a little harsh, but I haven't come up with a middle ground I like yet.

If you want to boost your defense higher than the 15AC you have with just the studded leather, the easiest means to do so would be to go back and trade in for the moderately armored feat. It nets you medium armor&shield proficiency, and is nice enough to tack on a +1 bonus to Strength or Dexterity to boot.

It would mean going down slightly in physical offense, but that, paired with a chain shirt and a shield, would net you 18 AC, with the possibility of upgrading for even more defense. Not quite the best AC on the team, but very respectable for a non cleric full spellcaster.

An equally valid approach would be to just go forward with the AC you have now, sans shield. You have several good tanky characters on the team to work with.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 29th Jan, 2017 - 6:04am

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 29th Jan, 2017 - 2:19pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Yeah, I did the math and I reckon I'll go for the shieldless option, counting on other characters and some of Nyzahr's defensive magic to compensate…

At the end of the day, the Medium Armor feat would only grant me and AC of 17 if I'm not mistaken? Being that my Dexterity would be down to 15 with +2 bonus to AC, we're talking Chain Shirt 13+2=15 +2 shield, right ?

So… will stick to padded leather and 2-handed "Pipe-Slashing" for now, I reckon. By the way, I did count the other, smaller Armorean Pipe (There were a set, remember?) as a light hammer as you advised, just wondering if I can use it as an off-hand melee weapon as well as a throwing "One-way boomerang", like we discussed.

Otherwise, all set to go: I guess I will use some extra time to do some browsing into the rules until I'm called in-game.

Post Date: 29th Jan, 2017 - 2:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Right, was thinking of the Breastplate, which is 14 base.

In any case, like I said the funeral seems like a decent tie in. Nyzahr can begin singing at that, Lia and Geoffroy might even ask her to do so.

Post Date: 29th Jan, 2017 - 3:08pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 29 Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Did read the last few pages of the main thread and didn't find mention of a funeral… am I looking at the right place?

It would seem the party is having an embattled discussion as to who should lead the group's combat strategy, is that right?

Oh, a few more things:

1. I'd like to swapTrue Strike for Message in my cantrip list: since Nyzahr doesn't use the spoken word, it'd be nice to give her some option for quick communication in case of emergency. Just wondering if she'll actually use an actual "Whispering" or send a flow of images and impressions (Like some sort of very basic ESP) as a way of passing messages with this particular cantrip. Just to check, their use is now pretty much at will, right? Or is it only once per turn outside of combat?

2. One more thing: I can't seem to edit my posts with the Edit button. Any idea why ?
Thanks.

29th Jan, 2017 - 3:13pm / Post ID: #
Zarra Glannath
Arcane Trickster 9
Character
Follower / Middle Rear
Character Sheet ◀
Associates Has 2 Associates
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons Daishains

The Quiet Shadow says...

Quick question, so your character can't speak but they can sing? Also I personally feel the message cantrip is a pretty creative way of getting around the fact that your character is mute.

Also to your confusion on why the funeral isn't exactly going on yet, it will be starting soon if possible, as there actually had to be a delay. As such during that time we actually had everyone start discussing who leader should be.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 29th Jan, 2017 - 3:15pm

Post Date: 29th Jan, 2017 - 3:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Yes, cantrips are entirely at will. Using the message cantrip to partly get around the muteness is an interesting idea. Under the circumstances, perhaps using it would send the recipient an impression of emotion, whispered words that range from difficult to impossible to make out, and perhaps a simple image or two?

As far as editing goes. Once you post, you have a 31 minute window with which to make edits. After that you're done. Does that restriction apply to what you were trying to do? Speaking of editing, you should know that once you stick anything into the dice roll box, its stuck as is, so try to be sure you've got it right.

In regards to the current situation, the funeral mentioned is scheduled for later this (In game time) evening. The Silver Blaze decided to get together and discuss a few things in the meantime. Essentially, there's a ditch full of defiled corpses, and the group just rescued a bunch of women who have kith and kin who were dumped in there. Lacking the resources or time to give proper burials, it was decided that the best the group could do is arrange a mass funeral pyre in place, with the Blaze's clerics, Lia and Geoffroy, leading. Most of the discussion of said funeral happened in the support thread, check here Source 7y, starting with the 6th post down.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 29th Jan, 2017 - 3:55pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Jan, 2017 - 4:39pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 29

Thomaslee, yes she does sing, and quite well, apparently… although a fair amount of her repertoire is in Infernal Speech, which can create some measure of… shall we say "Uneasiness" in some circles.
She's also a mesmerizing dancer, as we shall soon see.

As for the muteness, read through her history to grasp the ambiguity there. Let's agree on the fact her vocal chords are intact, at least. Now, how and why she became (Or chose to be) mute, it's all very mysterious sofar.

I did think the cantrip would help somewhat.

As far as the discussion on combat leadership, I'm not part of it but just off the bat: ever thought about designing a few different combat formations, say ranging from "Full-on attack" to "Defensive" to "Ambush"... This would make things a little more prepared and whoever is the combat Leader would have an easier job of it AND a few combat patterns to choose from, said-patterns having been prepared in advance together with the rest of the group, it ma avoid grievances and rash, uncoordinated behaviour…

Just an idea. Nyzahr remains an observer and support caster, she will not be adding any direct input to that particular bit of bone-picking, though.

About the adventure: I'll be on the look out for that funeral. Nyzahr's specialty are chants of Loss, Misfortune and Mourning after all: she will probably be making herself noticed there.

Post Date: 14th Apr, 2017 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 29

Sorry Daishain, I've been pondering my character for a couple of days (While also enjoying becoming an uncle for the first time!)

So I'm thinking of several dimensions for my character, to be represented by my desire to multi-class in some fashion for the first time. I'll figure out the specific mechanics, but could use some guidance on the specifics of origin story and which aspects of the thoughts below fit your world.

My character could be an orphan who enlisted as a low level soldier in a nearby army due to lack of other career options, but simply does not have the stomach for this type of killing, knowing the young soldiers on the other end of the battlefield likely aren't that different that he, and certainly aren't evil. (This could represent a Fighter origin, and also an Ideal of not killing those that aren't truly evil).

My character goes awol from the military (Probably offering some potential consequences if ever found) and potentially seeks forgiveness via religion for his guilt/sins. (This could be a cleric or paladin dip.) He's living as a recluse avoiding being caught after fleeing, or is trying to put some distance between him and the military.

*(Key)* Character, in his wandering off the main roads and avoiding others, makes an astonishing discovery. (This could be the 'Discover' feature under Hermit.) He finds a dying gold dragon. He approaches the dragon, who does not have the strength or motivation to attack him. He can tell the dragon is in trouble, and attempts to heal this amazing creature. He begins to exhaust himself, as he feels somehow compelled to aid the dragon even if it costs him his life, a strange bond having formed with the dragon. The dragon then speaks to him telepathically, telling him he must stop as he cannot save him. The dragon senses the characters regret and desire to atone, and decides to pass some of his powers and own compulsions into the character before he dies, using the character to carry on his ideals. (Sorcerer origin to be the primary class I level in after starting the character in one of the classes mentioned above.) From then on my character feels compelled to follow the wishes of the dragon, including taking action to protect those who cannot protect themselves and destroy evil. (Open to suggestion here, I honestly have no idea if dragons of this world would ever do any of this.) The character has trouble discerning his own desires for that of the dragon, but does feel as if the powers provided by the dragon could be uses to achieve his own atonement in alignment with the dragon's desires.

*Potential-Twist - We aren't quite sure why this dragon was dying, but it could be some sort of curse, evil magic, or evil god. (Warlock dip potential incoming!) Character is not aware that this evil power has also set hold inside him, seizing the opportunity to do so via the dragon's connection with the character. This forms a pact with the evil force, which also imposes compulsions on the character. The character believes it to be the will of the dragon. The force is smart enough not to suggest "Murder everyone", but plays more subtle tricks such as convincing the character that an NPC is guilty or evil when they are really not. This could have dire consequences in the wrong moment!

I could do any (Or all!) of the above, encompassing fighter/cleric dip, Sorcerer primary, and maybe Lock twist. Specific Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws would be more clearly defined once I pair down the ideas above.

Character would be anywhere from Chaotic Good to Lawful Good, depending on how this irons out.

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.