Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 30 of 58

Potions are single use items, and as such - Page 30 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 16th Apr, 2017 - 5:10am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

20th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock
Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Paladin
Paladin
Wizard
Wizard
Ranger
Ranger
Fighter
Fighter
Barbarian
Barbarian

+  « First of 58 pgs.  26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  ...Latest (58) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 14th Apr, 2017 - 9:35pm / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 30

Congratulations, and make sure to spoil your new niece/nephew horribly when the time comes.

Sounds like you need to pare things down a bit. I suggest keeping the number of classes you have down to two for the start. Worry about any third class dips later.

I would also suggest avoiding mixing caster classes with different casting stats. The cleric/sorcerer would have two different mental abilities they want to keep maxed, not exactly ideal. I would suggest paladin instead.

The background ideas could work, though I should note that the encounter with the dragon would be very remarkable.

Gold Dragons tend to be rather aloof, but when they do intervene, they tend to guide, teach, and empower those who are worthy of it. Passing on a gift to a kind soul that tried to help would not be out of character for them. One might even have been inclined to fake their death in such a scenario, as a test for a promising individual.

Faerun boasts a lot of independent military forces. Joining and abandoning one of them without being hunted down would be quite reasonable.

I can see two good routes to follow given sorcerer as your primary:
-The Sorcadin, a devotee of Bahamut, alternates between using divine magic and arcane spells taught by the dragon to supplement their martial prowess.
-The Sorlock, more of a pure caster, uses various and sometimes rather dirty arcane tricks to wreak havoc, seems to be rather haunted. (I should note for theme purposes that a pact of chain warlock could show up with a pseudodragon familiar.)

Other options exist of course, but most of the other combinations I'd recommend treat sorcerer as a dip rather than the primary.

P.S. When you're ready to start sticking stuff into the official character sheet, click the create character button at the top left of this page. You'll be able to freely edit the thing, so don't worry about having it all right from the start.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Apr, 2017 - 2:30am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Yeah I was mostly trying to narrow down which class to pair with the sorcerer. I think I'll go Sorcadin. (Bye bye proficiency in Con saves!)

Sounds like a gold dragon really fits. Yeah I wasn't necessary looking for a particularly remarkable backstory, but wanted something more fun than 'it's in my blood' for the Draconic origin.

Sounds like you really know the lore! Thanks so much!

Post Date: 15th Apr, 2017 - 5:40am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation Archive Pathfinder / D&D

I try. Sorcerer & paladin then. I presume dragonblood for the sorc. For the paladin, Oath of Devotion? Or perhaps Ancients?

So let us flesh this concept out a bit more.

This meeting would be a life changing event, you are now able to draw power both from the dragon's gift and your devotion to the ideals he or she inspired. (Or perhaps the divine magic was present already, and the dragon reaffirmed your commitment)

But that moment isn't the beginning of your life, and would not explain the initial martial training from the paladin class.

If you weren't a divine warrior of some stripe before the dragon, perhaps you were once a soldier, or a mercenary, or even a particularly skilled member of a town's militia.

Deserting might explain a change in life, or you might be the last survivor of a unit. Or perhaps you were injured in a manner that caused you to be discharged, but the dragon restored your body.

There could also be a rather personal connection to the campaign. For instance: You were the defender of a village that was attacked by a group composed mostly of dragonkin, and fell in the fight. You awoke to find your peers dead, and your neighbors and loved ones missing. Searching about led you to the encounter with the dragon. And his/her information led you to the town of Greenest, where people act to avoid the same fate as your home.

Even when that is decided, what made you into the man who conquered his fear to help this being?

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 15th Apr, 2017 - 5:43am

Post Date: 15th Apr, 2017 - 6:16am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 30 Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

That's perfect. I actually had started my character sheet and saved it, but now I think it needs to be approved.

So yes I think I'll stick with my original story of joining the military but not having the stomach for killing those not unlike myself on the other side. (They're not evil men, they're just soldiers with no other options, like me.)

I was about type up a section about how, when visiting a small town, I found a priest, and started to study religion as a means to redeem myself and find a new path. This is where I'd like to insert your dragonkin attack. After some time with the priest learning the foundation of my faith as well as healing and other aspects, all the while the priest becoming like a father figure for this orphan, he and the rest of the town are killed as you suggested. I am wounded and flee. This leads to the dragon discovery, and then Greenrest. I'll have to think on your last question for a minute. Certainly something made me realize the dragon was dying and not much of a threat to me. Perhaps I was dying and delirious too so the fear I should normally have didn't matter as much. I still tried to save the dragon with the last of my energy, but it saved me in the end.
PS I was thinking my cantrip-esque flavor spell could just be the ability to conjure a small figure of the gold dragon out of a combination of light and fire in my palm. It would have no practical use, but the dragon would arch it's head back for a roar (Although silent), curl up on my palm, and then disperse as the light leaves my hand. It may not come up often, but Velon may look at it from time to time as a reminder of the significance of the encounter and the duty imposed upon him by it.

Post Date: 15th Apr, 2017 - 9:00pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Creation Character RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

I've made some good progress on my character sheet. It's nearing completion, although I may have missed something. I know I haven't picked 2 tools or languages, mostly because I'm not sure Velon would have much experience with either! Any good suggestions for substitutes, or a language he may know as it's that common where he's from? (Speaking of which, I referenced 'X, Y and Z' in Velon's bio, not knowing what town he'd be from or what army he was in.
You said in the first page of character building to ask about gear. Is there anything about the current gear, wealth, or level change of the party beyond 4th that I should know about?

Thanks! Time to read recent posts in the story to see how that dragon battle is going!

Post Date: 15th Apr, 2017 - 9:26pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Everyone is still level four, though not for much longer.

For tools, soldiers are often required to maintain their own gear, and will often learn some manner of pastime to idle away the hours of boredom. Would proficiency in Smith's tools and some kind of instrument suit you?

As to gear, you have a budget of 700 gp with which to buy any mundane or magical items you wish. Official 5e magic items can be found via the SRD. As that list is a little anemic, feel free to browse the magic item list for 3.5e/Pathfinder as well. Note that items from that source are likely to undergo a few changes to fit 5E's design. (Note that default prices for common and uncommon magic items in my game are 150 and 500 respectively, with single use items being priced at 75% off)

In regards to a place of origin, might I give an initial suggestion of looking up the nation of Calimshan? Its a fair ways to the south of the current campaign area, and the government has goals likely to make a principled man object. At the same time, they aren't very popular among the nations to their north, so representatives of the nation trying to catch a deserter would have a hard time.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 16th Apr, 2017 - 12:22am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation - Page 30

Ok I'll look up Calimshan and will grab the smith's tools.

Wow, I can already guy a good magic item like Cloak of Protection or Gauntlets of Ogre Power? I'll check out a 3.5e/Pathfinder list too.

Are standard health potions 150?

Post Date: 16th Apr, 2017 - 5:10am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 30

Potions are single use items, and as such get the 75% off discount mentioned before. (So it'd be 37 gold and 5 silver. Yeah, its a bit awkward, but I didn't realize until after I'd set the base pricing.) I should mention that Healer's Kits in my game are generally a better buy than healing potions, though keeping one for emergencies is not at all a bad idea. Check the rules thread for the houserule regarding the kits.

Yes, you do have room to spend most of your budget on something like a cloak of protection. You're level 4, have probably done a major engagement or two, a decent magic item is not out of the question. Especially not since your soon to be companions have looted a number of such items already.

In regards to the character, the mechanical stuff looks good. Good choice on Green Flame Blade, that cantrip is quite effective for a gish type character.

Your character description is rather sparse, as a general guideline, If an imaginative person can't use it to make a rough picture in their head about how your guy looks and acts, it might need a few more details.

Couple of notes on character history:
-The antagonists of this particular tale have been capturing people for the most part, not killing them. Anyone in the village who had not put up too much of a fight would simply have gone missing, rather than be found dead. On review, I'm going to say Randall's village was a place named Dawnrun, and had been located in the Kingdom of Amn.
-Proceeding north from there would place you in the Cloud Peaks mountain range, a likely location for the gold dragon.
-Said Gold Dragon certainly knew how to speak common. Some of their kind are telepathic, and its a neat idea, but it wouldn't strictly be necessary.
-As to how you come onto what is going on right now, the following seems somewhat likely: In Berdusk, you received word that there seems to be some kind of trouble in Greenest, and the Lord's Alliance was gathering troops to reinforce the place. Thinking it may be connected to the incident at Dawnrun, Velon rode hard for the trade town. He arrived in time to see a small army break through the town's outer wall. While looking for an opening to actually make a difference, Velon was spotted by a large group of cavalry and was overwhelmed and captured. Whether he gets himself free when he opens his eyes or has to wait for assistance to arrive… well, we'll see.

P.S. You twice substituted 'would' for 'wound', I'm guessing auto-correct did it? There are a couple other awkward phrasings in there, might want to double check when it is convenient.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 16th Apr, 2017 - 5:24am

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Character Creation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.