Donald Trump's Handshakes - Page 2 of 2

He likes to say "Fake news" but - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 20th Feb, 2017 - 9:19pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Video Available Is the demeanor and diplomacy of the President of the USA relevant?
Post Date: 18th Feb, 2017 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

Donald Trump's Handshakes
A Friend

Donald Trump's Handshakes - Page 2

Precisely, skilled diplomats are extremely unlikely to be swayed by physical bluffs like that. It is posturing more suited for a schoolyard than a negotiation room.

The only practical use I can think of is as part of an attempt to deliberately anger the other person into making a mistake. Which is not an insignificant ploy, but he's been doing this with people who we absolutely must maintain positive relationships with, and won't be bullied.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 18th Feb, 2017 - 5:13pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Feb, 2017 - 5:25pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Handshakes Trumps Donald

Stacia,

You are correct and that could be used to ones advantage during a negotiation. Anything to throw the other off kilter. Also, you can be sure before our president meets a head of state he gets briefed about every habit, quirk, like, or dislike that we know about. Now, I'm not saying that President Trump uses this as part of his strategy, but he might.

Daishan,

Yes, but not all heads of state are skilled negotiators. Also, it doesn't seem to have affected him establishing relationships with the people he's already met. We'll see how this plays out.

Rather off topic, but...
I'm really playing devil's advocate. Part of the reason I'm doing that is I heard the same things about President Reagan back in the day. The press picked on everything. They said he was hopelessly outclassed and undiplomatic. He walked out on Gorbachev at one conference, just left. He said no deal is better than a bad deal. The press crucified him. But it worked and Gorbachev came back with a better offer. And Reagan's policies led directly to the fall of the USSR and the end of the Cold War. Sometimes the press picks on the wrong things and sometimes they are just plain wrong.

18th Feb, 2017 - 6:07pm / Post ID: #

Donald Trump's Handshakes Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I can understand if you want a negotiation tool but pulling someone off their center of balance isn't the way to do it. His body language suggests that he constantly wants to let the people he meets know that while he is open and friendly he is also in charge. I also do not think this is trivial. People excuse Trump as that's just his way but its not about his way its about the right way. I want to see how he shakes Putin's hand.

Reconcile Edited: Stacia on 18th Feb, 2017 - 6:11pm

18th Feb, 2017 - 8:23pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Handshakes Trumps Donald

The typical Trump supporter is like "Who care's as long as I get my job back and we make America great again."

20th Feb, 2017 - 8:12pm / Post ID: #

Handshakes Trumps Donald

You know what has me the most curious. Is anyone saying, "Mr. President don't you think you shouldn't do that because… " and he listens or is everyone around him afraid of being fired?

Post Date: 20th Feb, 2017 - 8:16pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

That seems to be a part of the problem. From the looks of things, either Trump is not listening to much of the advice offered by the white house staff, or he is going out of his way to make us believe he is not.

Neither possibility is particularly comforting, and either way its most likely as part of a pathological need to be seen standing on his own.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Feb, 2017 - 9:19pm / Post ID: #

Donald Trump's Handshakes - Page 2

He likes to say "Fake news" but surely if he watches as much cable as is alleged then he should be hearing what people are saying about him. That should be enough for him to say "I'll do things differently next time".

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Donald Trump's Handshakes

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,