Sentient vs Sapient - Page 2 of 2

What a great article. I really enjoyed this - Page 2 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 16th Jul, 2017 - 12:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 31st Mar, 2017 - 10:28pm / Post ID: #

Sentient vs Sapient
A Friend

Sentient vs Sapient - Page 2

Okay, common sense makes this a more difficult discussion. Does the Male Peacock use common sense when it struts just right to attract a mate instead of her going to another male, or is that just an automatic reaction? I think the great apes have been shown to use common sense to develop new and innovative ways to gather food and protect themselves. When introduced into new environments they can learn how to gather food and they use common sense to improve those methods. I have seen films of porpoises using never seen before methods of corralling fish so they can eat. That may well be using common sense to see a problem and figure out a solution. This has just become a much more interesting thread. And it was already interesting to me.

Reconcile Edited: Abnninja on 31st Mar, 2017 - 10:28pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 31st Mar, 2017 - 10:30pm / Post ID: #

Sentient vs Sapient
A Friend

Sapient Sentient

"I think therefore I am". This is a good way of looking at those who are just reactioning to some natural instinct and those who actually do think and there fore sapient. I find it interesting that humans feel they are at the top of the intelligent ladder. I wonder what would happen to a creature humans view as animals prove to be smarter and more intelligent than them? I have a feeling mankind is jealous and will eliminate them.

Post Date: 16th Jul, 2017 - 12:11pm / Post ID: #

Sentient vs Sapient UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

As tough as it is to define intelligence and to measure animals' cognitive capacities, research has provided ample evidence that animals across many different species have complex intelligence.

Squirrels fake hiding seeds when they know others are watching. Crows can construct hooks out of wire to use as tools. Chimpanzees have better short-term memories than humans.

Bumblebees can solve some problems faster than computers. Rats feel empathy for their species companions. Honey bees can recognise faces. Magpies are self-aware.

And Caenorhabditis elegans, a worm with only 302 brain cells, can learn and remember. Source 4c.

Post Date: 16th Jul, 2017 - 12:30pm / Post ID: #

Sentient vs Sapient
A Friend

Page 2 Sapient Sentient

What a great article. I really enjoyed this discussion and I can see what they mean about thinking animals we eat are less intelligent. It makes us feel better thinking that. That said, we are animals too and we are made to eat a balanced diet. Our teeth are the indicators that we are omnivorous. We do what we do assuage our conscience, but our ancestors certainly didn't have that luxury.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Sentient vs Sapient

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,