Heaven's Gate

Heaven' S Gate - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 20th Mar, 2017 - 2:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
30th Sep, 2008 - 2:06am / Post ID: #

Heaven's Gate

Heaven's Gate

Anyone here remember the 1997 incident of mass suicide based on the religious cult "Heaven's Gate"? What are your thoughts about this?

international QUOTE
Heaven's Gate was an American UFO religion based in San Diego, California and led by Marshall Applewhite and Bonnie Nettles.[1] The group's end coincided with the appearance of Comet Hale-Bopp in 1997. Applewhite convinced 38 followers to commit suicide, which he claimed would allow their souls to board a spaceship that they believed was hiding behind the comet.

Further, Heaven's Gate believed that the planet Earth was about to be recycled (Wiped clean, refurbished and rejuvenated), and that the only chance to survive was to leave it immediately.[2] While the group was formally against suicide, they defined "Suicide" in their own context to mean "To turn against the Next Level when it is being offered",[3] and believed that their "Human" bodies were only vessels meant to help them on their journey.
Ref. Source 2

Interestingly enough one of the lead investigator's name is Scully.

Heaven's Gate
Heaven's Gate (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 30th Sep, 2008 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

Heaven's Gate
A Friend

Gate Heavens

I have always wanted to start a cult following like this. Is there anyone that would like to join me in finding people to brainwash for our own purpose.

No Mormon jokes please. I can already think of some. Don't need anymore to tell people at church. They really like them. undecided.gif

30th Sep, 2008 - 3:31am / Post ID: #

Heaven's Gate Beliefs Religious General

I do not get your Post Quasar. This group was led by a man who had a sexual identity crisis and basically wanted to end his life and thus ending his sexuality. Unfortunately, he brainwashed dozens of people to follow after his insane rants and even commit suicide. Sad, nothing comical there.

30th Sep, 2008 - 4:16am / Post ID: #

Gate Heavens

I remember when this occurred. Quite tragic actually. I had forgotten about the comet connection. I remember the new tennis shoes. It reminded me of the Jonestown suicide/murders only on a smaller scale. You really have to wonder what it is that makes some people follow so blindly that they are even willing to give up their life in the name of some abstract idea.

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2008 - 4:28am / Post ID: #

Heaven's Gate
A Friend

Gate Heavens

I do not get your Post Quasar. This group was led by a man who had a sexual identity crisis and basically wanted to end his life and thus ending his sexuality. Unfortunately, he brainwashed dozens of people to follow after his insane rants and even commit suicide. Sad, nothing comical there.

I didn't really look at it like that. Yah, that is kind of messed up on my part. You are right that really isn't funny. Sorry everyone.

30th Sep, 2008 - 5:59am / Post ID: #

Heaven's Gate

Mr. Applewhite was a chew toy and it gives me no great sorrow that he pulled himself from the gene pool voluntarily. Of course he did this before the "Away Team" was assembled by means of castration along with 7 other male members.

All of this because he was looking for a cure for being gay...

Source 1

At least Jim Jones had some charisma that you could see, this guy was just weird. He looked weird and his tapes were ridiculous. It is so unfortunate that some were caught up in his sick world and paid a heavy price. Just check out that website...it is the same as it was since the mass suicide! He looks like he is hopped up on mega volumes of caffiene.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Dec, 2008 - 7:40pm / Post ID: #

Heaven's Gate

God never has and never will have his servants commit suicide. Suicide is murder. "Thou shalt not kill" Exodus 20:13. Committing suicide is not the same as being a martyr.

Post Date: 20th Mar, 2017 - 2:18pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Heaven's Gate General Religious Beliefs

20 years later, Heaven's Gate lives on

Twenty years ago this month, 39 followers of the Heaven's Gate cult killed themselves in a Rancho Santa Fe mansion. They were led by a preacher’s son who fashioned a religion that merged evangelical Christianity with New Age science fiction. Ref. Source 3h.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Heaven's Gate

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,