The Mythology Of Powers - Super Speed

The Mythology Powers Super Speed - Comic / Anime PBP RPGs, Reviews - Posted: 2nd Feb, 2009 - 5:28pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 31st Jan, 2009 - 8:37pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I am often amazed at the constant inaccuracies of writers and the movie industry in the portrayal of Super Speed, however, regardless of the flawed physics I join the millions of people who enjoy watching a character move with impossible quickness.

For one to move beyond the realms of normal physical speed they would have to possess great strength and a form of invulnerability and/or regeneration to mend and protect their body from natural wear and tear that would result from gravity and inertia. Superman is an excellent example of a super hero that is designed for high speed travel, because he can believably challenge the physical laws of our universe. Any super hero that can move at super sonic speed, without heightened strength or some power that preserves their body challenges a readers suspension of disbelief in their acceptance of the character.

While Superman's super-speed can be accepted as being possible, what is not is the fact that he does not seem to displace the air around him when he accelerates at blinding speed in the blink of an eye. The little burst of air they add to Clark's hyper speed is greatly misrepresented, and should be the equivalent of a gale force wind. This would of course make his little disappearing act rather noticeable.

It seems that what they have begun to depict with Superman's speed is along the lines of generating a temporal warp in time. Meaning he is not moving fast, but rather slowing time around him. This time traveling type speed is acceptable and would explain the ability to move in and out of super-speed without the need of acceleration. This power, however, would still require the user to have incredible strength and resilience in order to bear the bending of time around them, as they are not jumping through a gate, but rather flowing through their own warp.

The Flash, character presents one more possibility. He is apparently able to move ten times or a hundred times faster than super-man, I can never remember which, but he's really really really to the power of like a billion fast. In various representations of the flash it has been mentioned that his very molecules begin to speed up, allowing him to defy the laws of physics, which is a really good explanation for his speed.

A biped can only move it's legs so quickly before it's strides have to lengthen, so eventually the two legged runner would taking long powerful strides as it moved at full speed. Flash does not. He's a blur, and the friction of his own body does not burn him up because of invulnerability or regenerative powers, but because his molecular structure is vibrating so quickly that he is becoming a wave of light. Non-corporeality would allow one to achieve incredible speeds with no risk to the body, but it has been depicted many times in the history of the Flash that he has been struck or hit something while streaking through the air.

So what are your takes on super-speed? Are you content to just put the blinders on and enjoy the book or movie, or have you developed your own theories that makes it believable for you?

Sponsored Links:
31st Jan, 2009 - 8:55pm / Post ID: #

Speed Super Powers Mythology The

Interesting Thread.

international QUOTE (Tiphereth)
The Flash, character presents one more possibility. He is apparently able to move ten times or a hundred times faster than super-man

10-100 times? I thought it was only slightly faster. Check for the Thread we have on that here and continue there if you like: The Flash

What I find unbelievable is when Superman holds someone (Human) and moves at that speed and yet the person looks like they just took a stroll. We know there are serious effects to the brain / blood supply that happen to pilots when taking on serious Gs, yet while Superman does it with someone in his arms it is a walk in the park for the human.

Post Date: 31st Jan, 2009 - 9:24pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Mythology Of Powers - Super Speed Reviews & RPGs PBP Anime / Comic

There is a DC episode where flash and superman have a race around the world. Superman wins, but Flash thought they had to go around ten times or more, I can't remember how many. I am not really a comic book guy.

I completely agree with you. A person would be crushed against Superman if that actually happened. Wouldn't that make a nice scene in a movie. Also if he did not precisely match the speed of a falling victim the person would be dead, like in the first Superman movie when he flies up toward a falling Lois and doesn't seem to slow down before he catches her. Dead!

Some people have come up with some explanations to account for the people surviving super-speed travel, when flying along with Superman. Scientists explain (if he were real) that his flight is the result of generated gravitons and the manipulation of them. Gravitons are what scientists theorize mediates the force of gravity. If one accepted this as the reason for 'super-hero flight', then when Super-man or any other flying super-hero has a person with them they are encasing them in their field of gravitons, so in sense they are immune to the forces of gravity itself. This could also be a fourth theory that would legitimize super-speed.

31st Jan, 2009 - 9:33pm / Post ID: #

There is a DC episode where flash and superman have a race around the world.

Yes, I have a link to it in that same Thread, if I remember right Flash wins but only slightly. Check for it.

I hear the theory of aura being Superman's real power and not his skin, in other words there is an invisible real of power around him that protects him, thus when he is near someone they can also gain from that 'aura'. I think we mention that in another Thread.

Back to speed. I also find him (as Clarke in Smallville) not being able to jump higher and further a bit of a stag considering he is so fast. Surely if someone could run that fast it would allow them to spring board a State. However in a few Smallville episodes he is shown as having to struggle to jump less than a mile.

Post Date: 31st Jan, 2009 - 9:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Yeah, Clark's powers are really down-played. Even his strength is not what is supposed to be. I don't understand why the writers feel it necessary to have to do that, I mean he's Superman!
With his speed no one should ever be able to land a hand on him, his reaction time would be... well... Super. I really like Smallville, but I think the writers take the easy way out most of the time.

31st Jan, 2009 - 9:59pm / Post ID: #

The Theme they are trying to push is that his power is limited because of his disobedience to Jer-El, for this reason he cannot even fly yet.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
31st Jan, 2009 - 11:28pm / Post ID: #

The Mythology Powers Super Speed

Actually in Smallville when Clarke meets him (Flash), the kid is way much faster than Clark, they even had a race (I guess in remembrance of the comic) and Clarke is way behind. So I would say yes, the Flash is able to move ten or hundred times faster than Superman.

2nd Feb, 2009 - 5:28pm / Post ID: #

The Mythology Powers Super Speed Comic / Anime PBP RPGs & Reviews

There is one thing to consider that is introduced by Smallville. The extent of Clarke's powers is relative to the amount he is given. Based on what we see from past episodes the power Clarke has is not permanently implanted in him, it can be taken away, made less or more powerful based on the wishes of his father. Perhaps there is not a need for him to be faster than everyone else what good will that do for the uniqueness of Flash?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: The Mythology Of Powers - Super Speed

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,