The Mythology Of Powers - Super Speed - Page 2 of 2

I don't have a scientific mind per - Page 2 - Comic / Anime PBP RPGs, Reviews - Posted: 21st Feb, 2017 - 10:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 2nd Feb, 2009 - 6:50pm / Post ID: #

The Mythology Of Powers - Super Speed
A Friend

The Mythology Of Powers - Super Speed - Page 2

The difference (the way I see it) is that Flash's Speed is based on they way he is able to speed up his molecules, apparently he is able to 'vibrate' through solid objects, becoming non-coporeal, while Superman's speed is based upon pure power.

Smallville has depicted 'Superman' as moving quickly as if in a temporal time warp (his mass hardly displaces any air since he seems to lack a real jet stream), and his 'powers' which are the result of his genetics, into some magical gift granted by his father. I love the show, but I have trouble accepting his powers being turned on and off like a light switch, when that happens I usually go and make myself a cup of coffee. The 'Leech' episode I found a little ludicrous that some one can 'steel' genetic abilities (bugs me in Heroes too). A believable way of depicting this would be to explain it as mimicry that leaves some kind of biological inhibitor in their victim making there powers useless (the genetic code remains but is repressed). Basically I believe Superman's powers cannot be stripped as easily as one can remove Green Lantern's ring, they are a part of him. The effects of Kryptonite on him are, however, very believable, they should just stick with that.

I understand what the Smallville writers are doing I just disagree with it. No matter what I just don't think one should take the Science out of Science Fiction.

Sponsored Links:
2nd Feb, 2009 - 8:55pm / Post ID: #

Speed Super Powers Mythology The

Yes I agree science fiction should be based on real science as that is what makes it fun. Superman originally could not fly just big jumps from big muscles same as running. I remember reading in a comic once that it was the friction that limited Superman's speed.

I also think that if nature is going to turn you into a freaky guy with powers it will adapt the cellular structure to match it. After all that is natures way.

He was bullet proof (likely a connect to the authors father dieing from a gun shot in a robbery just before the comic started.), mean tempered killed loads of people by throwing them like a rag doll.(stopped in the 40's when the producer/manager changed.) Jumped high and far and was strong. No scientific reason besides he was an alien. Reason enough in those times no doubt.

Post Date: 2nd Feb, 2009 - 9:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Mythology Of Powers - Super Speed Reviews & RPGs PBP Anime / Comic

Cool trivia! I didn't know that about the author, that really adds more depth to Superman for me.

I remember about the 'tall leaps', yeah he was originally just a really strong guy who was 'unbreakable', very similar to Bruce Willis' depiction in the movie with that name.

20th Feb, 2017 - 10:56pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Speed Super Powers Mythology The

I love this kind of discussion trying to bring some kind of logic to something totally illogical. The only way I can answer this is that when you're in the same motion and speed then everything else slows down if that makes any sense.

Post Date: 21st Feb, 2017 - 2:55pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Speed Super Powers Mythology The

I don't worry that much about the science involved in super hero movies. It's an escape not science class to me. You just have to suspend disbelief. It's not a deal breaker to me. I know others feel differently. That's just my take on it.

Post Date: 21st Feb, 2017 - 10:54pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Everything should be based in science otherwise it is not a believable thing. Yes sometimes just disconnecting and enjoying it is good but with my scientific mind I want it to be believable otherwise there is no fun in it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 21st Feb, 2017 - 10:58pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Mythology Powers Super Speed - Page 2

I don't have a scientific mind per se KN. Science wasn't my favorite class in school for sure. I guess that is why it doesn't bother me. I care more about it having a good storyline and interesting characters.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: The Mythology Of Powers - Super Speed

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,